Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 09:01 AM   #311
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Phoenix, the PCB software is only as good or as bad as the person using it.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:12 AM   #312
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
What PCB software do you like to use.
Sorry, Phoenix, I haven't got into that side of things, can't help you at all there!

Frank
Old 8th December 2012, 09:21 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Would anyone be so kind to name a delta sigma design that they believe sounds really top notch, and is designed really well, being either:

a cd player
a dvd player
a stand alone DAC

Just curious.
PM me if you don't want to post your answer on the thread.
Thanks
Well, this might sound bizarre but the tiny Cowon music player of a friend on mine, using a Wolfson DAC, running on battery power easily outdid a highly tweaked low cost TT, and a reasonably tweaked Quad CD player. It was very sensitive to interference effects, but once orientated correctly was capable of generating a mighty big soundstage; taking everything into account it was easily the equal of anything I heard at the recent hifi show.

Obviously, the Wolfson DAC must be a good part of that equation ...

Frank
Old 8th December 2012, 10:57 AM   #314
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

erin:
In response to your surprise at my comment I was going by what had been said in this thread. I had no other information to go on. The information you now draw my attention to would not have changed anything.

My experience in industry taught me that the fact that someone is paid to do something is not a guarantee that they know what they are doing. I have found (in schools and universities) that the fact that someone is paid to teach something does not guarantee that they properly understand it. In both situations there may sometimes be a negative correlation between apparent career success and ability.

I won't say any more. My comments in the second paragraph are general, not specific, so are not aimed at any particular person. They are meant to explain my approach to 'authority' or 'experience'.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:03 AM   #315
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the Cowon uses DSP effects for increasing soundstage in headphones, probably thats what you like, i'm not a big fan of them, but 'jet effect' certainly has some followers
Old 8th December 2012, 11:06 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
Hello Frank,

What PCB software do you like to use.
i've found Diptrace to be very good and you get a lot for your money. easy to pick up, fairly logical flow. i'm a graphic designer and pre-press operator by trade and did a lot of vector layouts, prepress and font design. so its actually been an easier transition than I was expecting at first.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:32 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
the Cowon uses DSP effects for increasing soundstage in headphones, probably thats what you like, i'm not a big fan of them, but 'jet effect' certainly has some followers
No, not talking about the silly DSP sound manipulation doo-dahs thrown in, but the straight stereo signal fed into a decent amp and speakers. The improved soundstage is due to the fact that low level detail is rendered more clearly, also evidenced by the fact that the volume could be increased quite considerably with no discomfort.

One way of describing it is that the sound is impressive, without sounding if it's trying to be impressive. Many times people don't "get" good sound, because it doesn't come across as being spectacular, it doesn't say, "Look at moiye! Look at moiye!" ...

Frank
Old 8th December 2012, 03:06 PM   #318
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I believe Diptrace allows multilayer design witch is critical for digital, you need a good ground plane
Me I use this:
American CADSTAR Bundles | Zuken
the extreme version, which is OK, but any package that allows multi-layer layout and has access to a comprehensive library, will suffice. For SMD footprint use IPC-7351 standards, viewers and such like are available, in fact I'm just doing a library know for a customer.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:57 PM   #319
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Would anyone be so kind to name a delta sigma design that they believe sounds really top notch, and is designed really well, being either:

a cd player
a dvd player
a stand alone DAC

Just curious.
PM me if you don't want to post your answer on the thread.
Thanks
Bremen - Donald North Audio
Old 8th December 2012, 11:44 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I believe Diptrace allows multilayer design witch is critical for digital, you need a good ground plane
Me I use this:
American CADSTAR Bundles | Zuken
the extreme version, which is OK, but any package that allows multi-layer layout and has access to a comprehensive library, will suffice. For SMD footprint use IPC-7351 standards, viewers and such like are available, in fact I'm just doing a library know for a customer.
it does indeed and in the intermediate licenses (2 layer and 4 layer) you still get full access to the extensive libraries of the full version, error checking etc. and the 2 and 4 layer limit only applies to signal layers, you can have as many ground and power planes as you like; so a 2 layer license for example allows you to have 2 signal layers, 2 ground planes and 2 power planes for a 6 layer PCB (more of course, just an example) comes standard with full viewing of gerbers and drillfiles and a 3D view so you can check placement.

I like it a lot!

we cant all afford Cadstar

Hide this!Advertise here!