Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2012, 06:57 AM   #291
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hello Frank

Have you personally heard the Audio Note 5th Element Setup.

Arthur
Old 7th December 2012, 08:22 AM   #292
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

it doesnt sound like it.... just relaying audiophile review impressions. chances are going by its design that its simply adding quite a bit of its own distortions which may be preferred, as well as the expectation bias from such a massive pricetag. i'll take my dac any day for my taste. if someone gave me one, i'd sell it and add a few upgrades to the rest of my system
Old 7th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #293
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Well, at least he put "cognescenti" in quotes...
Old 7th December 2012, 09:53 AM   #294
diyAudio Moderator

OT insults removed, and punishment handed out. Keep it civil folks.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 7th December 2012, 10:09 AM   #295
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

As qusp surmised, no, but that's not the point. I have heard DACs performing correctly when sufficient effort is put into negating the SQ issues, and am interpreting the language of the people who have listened to the AN device in that context. What is positive about the Fifth Element is that it evokes those reactions without needing that extra effort put into tweaking the setup -- that's a significant step forward.

Yes, it most certainly will add some distortions, but much more importantly, by fluke or sufficient persistence, it appears to have reduced the crucial "digital" distortions to inaudible levels.

Frank
Old 7th December 2012, 10:14 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

cool no worries, what gets me is when these distortions are ignored, claiming only higher 'transparency'. theres no accounting for taste and it cannot be argued with; people like what they like.

the very word musicality to me, while not an negative word, evokes a certain pleasant somewhat forward/meaty presentation, slightly thicker in harmonics than neutral.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:29 AM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
the very word musicality to me, while not an negative word, evokes a certain pleasant somewhat forward/meaty presentation, slightly thicker in harmonics than neutral.
Unfortunately "musicality" is a bit of a weasel word, but it gives the flavour of what the user is intending to convey: that the sound strongly invokes in the listener the same sort of subjective reaction he has when listening to live music. Which, after all, is what this whole exercise is supposed to be about - how many times have I seen that throwaway phrase in forums, "just enjoy the music". Well, if for a while you can forget that a faking mechanism is making the music materialise, then that phrase has some real "meat" to it, and the equipment that's making it happen should get a tick ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 7th December 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:05 AM   #298
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
As qusp surmised, no, but that's not the point. I have heard DACs performing correctly when sufficient effort is put into negating the SQ issues, and am interpreting the language of the people who have listened to the AN device in that context. What is positive about the Fifth Element is that it evokes those reactions without needing that extra effort put into tweaking the setup -- that's a significant step forward.

Yes, it most certainly will add some distortions, but much more importantly, by fluke or sufficient persistence, it appears to have reduced the crucial "digital" distortions to inaudible levels.

Frank
Hello Frank,

Can you give me some details including the brands of the DACs you have heard with your own ears that with "fluke or persistence" sound good.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:27 AM   #299
diyAudio Member

fluke or persistence sounds like an excellent way to waste money in prototyping... maybe thats why they cost so much?
Old 7th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
Hello Frank,

Can you give me some details including the brands of the DACs you have heard with your own ears that with "fluke or persistence" sound good.
Well, at the hifi show I just went to, a Lampizator unit performed well, BUT only when fed from a music server: using an Oppo unit as a CD transport crippled the sound. The Swiss CH Precision D1 CD player, $40,000, did a very nice job running into Technical Brain monoblocks. And, all the setups by the National Audio Group had qualities that I was after, I haven't got the material at hand to pinpoint the units used at the moment.

Note, my take is very different from how other people reacted to what was on offer. Equipment which others wrote glowing reports of left me cold - like the Kyron: very hifi sort of sound, if you know what I mean ...

Cheers,
Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!