Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 01:49 AM   #181
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
How do you know the proportion of music that's recorded by SD?

Your question sounds like this question - all light in my room shines through a dirty window, what can a second clean window after that do that a second dirty one won't?
Old 1st December 2012, 02:34 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

what about the jitter performance of your contraption ? Have you measured it yet ?

with such slow rising signals I predict that the jitter will be terrible !!
Old 1st December 2012, 02:46 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
No, I have no means of measuring jitter performance at present.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:01 AM   #184
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Resolution means the ability to resolve, tell the difference, between two things. But with an S-D this ability to resolve two different input codes depends on signal level. At lower signals, the resolution is higher than at higher levels.
This makes sense to me because I find S-D to sound "pleasant" and detailed when playing a solo instrument, but sound very confused and murky during complex passages of music.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:32 AM   #185
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

A number of these postings have come to the moderators attention. Keep to the technical stuff and back up any arguments with real evidence and not cheap put downs and accusations.

Any such postings will see penalties handed out.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:36 AM   #186
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Obviously he doesn't speed up the sample rate - look at the sentence construction in detail - its conditional - 'I could also say that...'. He also makes clear there's no oversampling. Clear to me anyway
So at what sample rate does his DAC actually run?
Old 1st December 2012, 07:34 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

Why ask me? Charles is on here, if he doesn't answer on the thread then you could try a PM. Are you a prospective customer then?
Old 1st December 2012, 07:39 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
This makes sense to me because I find S-D to sound "pleasant" and detailed when playing a solo instrument, but sound very confused and murky during complex passages of music.
Interesting observation, thanks erin. I wonder if this has to do with crest factor. With few instruments the crest factor is going to be lower than with a huge number - like an orchestra. With high crest factor the key level where the most noise modulation occurs probably gets traversed more frequently.

if you look at a THD vs level plot of the Weiss implementation of the ESS Sabre, you'll note there's a kink just above -40dB. That's evidence for noise modulation - and remember ESS is the best known implementation of S-D where they've fixed up a lot of the problems found in the older implementations.
Old 1st December 2012, 07:55 AM   #189
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
This is not a problem with S-D per se, but rather that of implementation. Digital sound contains high levels in information, which has to be unraveled correctly for the musical threads to make sense. Any problems anywhere in the design or assembly of the circuitry will very effectively sabotage that unraveling, and you end up with decidedly uninviting sound: confused and murky is equal to, too much distortion of low level, but still audible detail ...

Frank
Old 1st December 2012, 07:59 AM   #190
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No, no short version provided... but i believe it is on topic. Personally I have doubts about some of the statements made and methods used. It seem they fall into the same traps they debunk?

Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!