Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 09:12 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
EMC
Did the cat step on your keyboard marce?
Old 30th November 2012, 09:31 AM   #112
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
so he either doesnt have a clue, or hes taking the p1ss
Or laughing all the way to the bank...
Old 30th November 2012, 09:33 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I have no idea how to contribute at this point. my view was not, not by the numbers, but despite them. I believe with modern kit AFTER its been verified as working within accepted margins, we have some leeway to make it sound as we like, perhaps even trading some bandwidth for subjective sound, or stripping away some complexity while still staying within audible range. basicaly making decisions with eyes open, not JUST chasing the numbers for the sake of numbers.
Sounds not so far from how I view the numbers - as verifying that I didn't make any mistakes in the design. So I should have some idea what the numbers would be in doing the design, then the measurements serve to check I didn't take any wrong turns along the way or mis-wire something at the construction stage.

Quote:
I have no desire to be aligned with charlatans like Altmann, who makes such ridiculous claims about his little '24/192' (which is printed on the chassis) portable player with a 16bit dac chip its not funny. he avoids all technical queries to back up his claims with the usual subterfuge about measurements being meaningless etc. claims like the 24/192 when only the DSP can read them and downsample them to send to the 16bit dac, claims that it can drive any headphone with its 3-4v (MAX) swing and tiny cellphone battery that lasts ages, so cannot have much by way of current either, 32bit digital volume with a 16bit dac... the list goes on. and he wants 700EU for it or something...
Ah that's news to me - he actually deceives people with his products then in claiming 24bits in the DAC (or just compatibility with playing 24bit files which isn't unreasonable)? Any evidence for subterfuge that you're alleging? I don't have an issue with the price he's charging - if there are willing customers who are happy to part with their cash, can't see anything dishonest there. In any case contributing to this thread by no means implies you endorse or condone dishonest business practices (if they are indeed ocurring). By citing Mr Altmann I don't thereby rubber stamp his business practices. I just use him as an example of someone who has happy customers on one hand and a marauding band of moaners (who aren't customers) on the other telling customers who are more than happy with the subjective results that they drank the Kool-Aid. That's worthy of ridicule.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:38 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Or laughing all the way to the bank...
Let's hope he is after all he's worked fairly hard in developing that piece of kit which makes plenty of listeners very happy bunnies. Good luck to his bank account I say

Now Julf are you still in trolling mode or are you going to work on your earlier hypothesis? If you have no skin in the game then I'll ignore you.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:49 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Let's hope he is after all he's worked fairly hard in developing that piece of kit which makes plenty of listeners very happy bunnies. Good luck to his bank account I say
Thanks for clarifying your position on that!

Quote:
Now Julf are you still in trolling mode or are you going to work on your earlier hypothesis? If you have no skin in the game then I'll ignore you.
Hypothesis? Sheesh...

Please feel free to ignore me. In fact I think I'd be honoured if you did! My only skin in this game is a strong dislike for cargo cult design, voodoo and false claims.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:56 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying your position on that!
You mean it was unclear even after reading my earlier posts where I went on about customer satisfaction being the true test of engineering? Or you didn't read those?

Quote:
Please feel free to ignore me. In fact I think I'd be honoured if you did! My only skin in this game is a strong dislike for cargo cult design, voodoo and false claims.
You should do fine then on here as a watchman against cargo-cult science and false claims. Do point them out when and if they occur, I'd be honoured Do be prepared though to back up your assertions about them with real evidence (chapter and verse) as so far the preponderance of strawmen (not in the main from you I hasten to add) has slowed things down a little...
Old 30th November 2012, 10:03 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You mean it was unclear even after reading my earlier posts where I went on about customer satisfaction being the true test of engineering? Or you didn't read those?
Even a drug dealer can claim customer satisfaction...
Old 30th November 2012, 10:04 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Yeah anyone can claim, its walking the talk which is harder...
Old 30th November 2012, 10:50 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Let me make a prediction - if you succeed to make your DAC work, it will be a true "audiophile" DAC. It's measured performance will be really bad, but True Audiophiles will love it's sound - and describe it as "analog", and probably "round", "warm", "musical" and "without any digital glare". Because it is "designed as analog, not digital".

As an extra bonus, it will probably be very sensitive to things like cable capacitance and rise times, so the True Audiophiles will also love it for proving them right in that cables do matter, not to mention all sorts of power conditioners, extra dampers and whatever it might take to deal with the EMC issues...
I could save him lots of trouble by generating lots of distortion using a dsp and then piping it through an ESS Sabre DAC
Old 30th November 2012, 10:57 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

You must have missed the post where I said it had to sound great on redbook and had to be cost effective - ESS doesn't pass muster on either.

Hide this!Advertise here!