which clock to choose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Been thinking about a clock upgrade for my cd playe pioneer (pd-s 703).

There's quite a few companies etc supplying clocks, and the lc audio version 3 does look good. I'm looking for a pre built one, so I can fit it quickly. I may decide to build my own power supply. Has anyone experience with the lc audio clock x03, or the superclock II? Also I know there are a couple of guys here with clocks circuits etc (elso and guido), do either of you guys have a pre built version of your clock, and if so how does it compare to the commercially available clocks?

Thanks

Raja

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re:

In my experience & opinion, any clock may be better than the standard...but a good-sounding clock-circuit can easily be worse than stock if the crystal is out of tune. And they often are.
Ask Elso (member) for his circuit, and make him implement a little adjustment
to "pull" the crystal frequency to perfect timing.
Then I guess you will have the best...

Arne K

Hi

Just my 2 cents:

The clock itself should be very low jitter. In my experience there are few good clocks around.

In addition, the power supply should be low noise. Most comercially available clocks fail here, in my experience.

Beside above mentionned, the price to quality ratio should be considered as well, to my opinion some clocks are just too expensive.

all the best

Clock's

Hi Raja,

The Kwak Clock turnout to be the best one for me.
It's cheap it's a DIY one and Elso is a real gentilman!
The Tent Clock is also good, but to bad it's no DIY Clock.
The Tent clock works as good as the Kwak Clock, no doubt about that.

So If you ask me,............... I would go for the cheapest and DIY one (sorry Guido, but if you had a DIY one, than the choice would be between yours and Elso's. The LC XO3 is a copy of the KC-7, more or less. If some one knows more about theLC Clock, let me know.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Re: Clock to choose

Jesús Puerto said:

Hello Jesús,
The link you gave was to ovenized crystal oscillators. These are extremely expensive.
I don't think this degree of frequency precision is necessary in a CD-player.
What matters is how the oscillation is generated.
A FET Colpitts oscillator seems to be the best. A bipolar transistor Colpitts is also used by Lcaudio.
Powersupply plays a minor role, but does influence the result.

Off topic, did you receive my email regarding the Audionote 2 schematic?:cool:

The clock itself should be very low jitter. In my experience there are few good clocks around.

In addition, the power supply should be low noise. Most comercially available clocks fail here, in my experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a given XO, the PS noise is very important and bringing this down to 5nV/sqrtHz or less brings much benefit in reducing the 'Hifi Sound' often said of replacement clocks to a much more 'relaxed' musical presentation of music.

I am told by a manufacturer of XOs that the chips inside are pretty industry standard and it seems desirable to 'clone' the XO with better compenets.

What do you think?

fmak said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a given XO, the PS noise is very important and bringing this down to 5nV/sqrtHz or less brings much benefit in reducing the 'Hifi Sound' often said of replacement clocks to a much more 'relaxed' musical presentation of music.

I am told by a manufacturer of XOs that the chips inside are pretty industry standard and it seems desirable to 'clone' the XO with better compenets.

What do you think?

Hi

The majority of clocks is made of standard chips. Better chips are available, believe me.

Been there and done nearly all......

regards

Re: Re: Clock to choose

Audiofanatic said:
Hi Raja,

The Kwak Clock turnout to be the best one for me.
It's cheap it's a DIY one and Elso is a real gentilman!
The Tent Clock is also good, but to bad it's no DIY Clock.
The Tent clock works as good as the Kwak Clock, no doubt about that.

So If you ask me,............... I would go for the cheapest and DIY one (sorry Guido, but if you had a DIY one, than the choice would be between yours and Elso's. The LC XO3 is a copy of the KC-7, more or less. If some one knows more about theLC Clock, let me know.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Hi

1 - I have a DIY version available (canned module only)
2 - Elso, does Lars pay you for your design efforts ?
3 - (slightly) depending on the concept, but power supply noise counts !

enjoy

Guido,

Which manufacters of XOs do you recommend? Maybe Valpeyfisher, MF Oscillators, Fox Electronics? The jitter caracteristics of Valpeyfisher XOs are excellent, I would say (<1ps). Is there any real benefit of using discrete oscillators instead of this canned oscillator.

Best regards

Valpey Fisher

Rookie said:
Guido,

Which manufacters of XOs do you recommend? Maybe Valpeyfisher, MF Oscillators, Fox Electronics? The jitter caracteristics of Valpeyfisher XOs are excellent, I would say (<1ps). Is there any real benefit of using discrete oscillators instead of this canned oscillator.

Best regards
Hi Rookie,
Try to order one or two from Valpeyfisher.
If you have any luck I may want one too (11.2896 MHz) just for fun.;)
BTW Guido's clock ia a canned oscillator from a unknown manufacturer.
;)

Which clock to choose

Hi Gudio and Elso,
With the Isotemp oven and the crystal
of Aselcom I´m not doing proves, but I have friend that they were doing proves
and they told me that the sound was superior at another oscilators.
The Aselcom is cut for working at 78ºC with 0.5ppm.
You can see in the Isotemp web that the
offset inn ppm with 78ºc is minimal, for these reason I was choosing these system, and I think that if you put the crystal working at 78ºC the effects of the enviorement don´t affect at the frecuency, jjiter and etc.
I don´t have the sigma range and rms or pp values but i´ll try to get its for you.
My friend and I´ll try to buy the EB71F5
series of ECLIPTEK to compare with the Isotemp system, I´ll ask at the ECLIPTEK
about the sigma range and rms or pp values.
If I´ll receive the oscilator I don´t have
any problems for senr st you the Oscilator also you can to do the checks.

Elso you have right the ovenized crystals oscilators are very expemsives, but I like to compare differents technologies, and you giive your email becouse I didn´t reveive you email about the DAC Audionote 2.

Elso and Guido I think that LC AUDIO use ths Aselcom crystal is tue.

Jesús

Re: Which clock to choose

Jesús Puerto said:
Hi Gudio and Elso,

Elso and Guido I think that LC AUDIO use ths Aselcom crystal is tue.

Jesús

Hi Jesús,
I am curious about the OCXO.
Lcaudio is using Hy-Q crystals. Hy-Q a firm so polite I have ever seen :rolleyes: , as they never replied to any email I have sent them.
Looking forward to the Audionote schematic. Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.