Modifying the Russian TDA1543 DAC off eBay. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Well that certainly kicked things up a notch...I'm loving the change

These are FAR more transparent.
Old 10th December 2012, 03:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Second modification has been done, I've removed the Zener diode and R2 which connects the CS8412 to the power input with a 7805, its heatsinked for now (wont need one I think, cs8412 power draw is far too low)

Here is how I've done it, rather easily too, it took me about 5 minutes.
Notice how the center ground pin conveniently comes very close to the ground bus!! a modification couldn't get any easier than this.

I drilled a hole in the pcb in the very center of the place where R2 used to be, then I replaced the capacitor which is closest to the CS8412 with a 10uF capacitor.

The reason for the modification was simple, the Zener diode and the resistor R2 were getting too hot to the touch when running the TDA1543 at 8v, and a better way to feed the CS8412 was needed.

That brown stain mark on the pcb was where the zener diode used to be, a tiny little SMD ZMM5231B 5.1v, the use of Tweezers in the removal of this component are recommended.

Remember though, as I have experienced, the TDA1543 must have a heatsink I've found if you are going to be running it at 8.0v.. Thats a job for the dremel tomorrow methinks.

7.0v is fine tho, and I'm running it at that right now without any heatsink at all.

Oh and merry christmas to everyone!!

Last edited by freax; 10th December 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

A word of caution with the ground trace on this pcb board, mine lifted off the track while moving the 7805 around, its probably a good idea to just replace the length of trace with a wire, as I have done.

Last edited by freax; 11th December 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Third modification:
I've removed R3 R4 and R5 and replaced R4 and R5 with 1.75Kohm values and as for R3 I've replaced that with two resistors wired in series, a 1Kohm and a 220ohm.

I am following this suggestion on this page: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/TDA1543IV.html

Results are that it is a LOT louder, and also MAYBE has a better treble range than before, I am still evaluating it.

I am running it at 7.5v as I dont yet have a good cooling solution for it yet.
Old 11th December 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Replacing those resistors with higher values have brought up a new level of detail from below the surface of the recording which was completely and utterly buried below the noise floor before.

An interesting change, the sounds which are a whisper now weren't even there before, and yet they are here right now with me in my room adding significantly to the detail of the recordings.

FYI I am listening to Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
and Trans Canada Highway
and Hi Scores <- Turquoise Hexagon Sun <<<< A nice smooth sound to it.
and In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country.

This is still early days yet, I will give it 1 week and then switch back to the old resistors to compare findings.

Last edited by freax; 11th December 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

now playing:
Playing a little with VBR MP3 tonight, 222-233kbps odd VBR, Joint Stereo.

Korn [Live & Rare #06] - Here To Stay
Very bassy and transparent (in bass and vocals), but its very limited in frequency response at treble frequencies on this song, sounds like a television broadcast actually, probably a really crappy microphone.

Korn [Live & Rare #07] - Freak On A Leash.
Much better than the last song, everything is where it should be, the bass guitar is pretty damn accurate and the trebles are not diseased like they were in the previous song.

Korn [Live & Rare #08] - Another Brick In The Wall (Parts 1, 2, 3)
Vocals are very transparent, excellent stereo imaging, then the limitations of MP3 kick in and as more instruments are added the vocals are pushed back down a scale.

Korn [Live & Rare #09] - One
Sounds amazing once the crowd settles down, then instruments are brung in and the MP3 codec chokes terribly.

FLAC:
Prodigy - Mindfields (The Matrix OST)
Very transparent vocals, nice twaang sound from the instrument at the beginning.

Last edited by freax; 12th December 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:12 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

David Bowie The Best Of David Bowie 1980/1987

VBR MP3.

I watched a bluray of Cast Away last night too, it was damn good but it wasn't much of an improvement over what it sounded like on my old Sony amp's dac, I bet this is probably because of the digital source material, I don't think it was a very good release.

David Bowie so far is sounding markedly improved over the old Sony dac and indeed on the old stock resistor settings.

Every song so far except for Scary Monsters has sounded great, strange. I'm now thinking that this is another mastering issue.

Last edited by freax; 13th December 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

You may wish to experiment with the value of the filter resistor and capacitor on the CS8412. You should try 470 ohm and 220nF.

I always found these values to sound better...
Old 13th December 2012, 10:39 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Which Sony DAC are you using?
I mean, which chip is inside your amp?
Old 13th December 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

You mention a lot of mp3's. Have you tried any lossless recordings on your DAC?

Hide this!Advertise here!