ES9018 I2C controller - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 10:31 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post
Great work
+1
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:27 PM   #72
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Overvoltage and current protection

I've been looking at simple but effective solutions to make the controller idiot proof.

I think that a crowbar circuit will provide enough protection when the right Zener diode is used. It is fast, easy to build and uses cheap components. I do not know what the tripping voltage should become, ideal would be 5.7 Volt imo. According to the Atmega's datasheet its maximum operating voltage rating is 6V.
I'm thinking of using a circuit similar to this one: Crowbar circuit
The fuse in this circuit must be a resettable type, preferably an SMD version like the Bourns MF-SM Series or MF-NSMF Series. Perhaps the MF-NSMF Series is better because it has lower resistance and take up less space.
Datasheet for Bourns Resettable fuses

The safe operating area of the 644 goes from 4.5V to 5.5V. To protect it from under-voltage I'll use the chip's brown-out fuse/function and set it to 4.3V

In the first post I mentioned that I was not sure about adding a voltage regulator circuit, bit perhaps in the perspective of protecting the chip it is best to use it. In combination with the crowbar circuit it should provide adequate protection, but it would also mean that the circuit needs to be powered by 7.5V to (lets say) 12V instead of 5V.
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:32 PM   #73
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Why do you want to make the controller idiot proof?

This is DIY, if someone puts 12v on a 5v micro controller board he is a dumb fool and should be collecting stamps!

And why such a hassle with crowbars? Just put in a 7805 and feed it from a 12v supply. All the protection you need.
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:48 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
Why do you want to make the controller idiot proof?

This is DIY, if someone puts 12v on a 5v micro controller board he is a dumb fool and should be collecting stamps!
Well, that's your point of view. A mistake is easily made. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
And why such a hassle with crowbars? Just put in a 7805 and feed it from a 12v supply. All the protection you need.
I'm just coming up with some ideas so they can be discussed. Personally I like the extra safety precautions to protect the chip. The crowbar is a cheap but effective solution, but maybe there are some other interesting options too for adding that little bit of extra protection.
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:06 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
I've been working on the IR learn function today. I made a small video of it. It's not finished but you'll get the idea: Youtube IR Learn video
Mmmm, looks exactly the same as the Lcduino Ir learning function......
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:09 PM   #76
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you might have a look at the fifo, it has some pretty excellent protection short circuit, overvoltage, reverse polarity etc. with SMD resettable fuses as part of it. it also makes use of SMD LED indication for all parts along the main signal paths that indicate correct connection, speed, lock from one stage to the next etc. so its really easy to track down a problem.

the modern dac, of the type this board is going into is a pretty complex beast, in fact I would say its easily the most complicated component, multiple supplies, many quite similar. sure its always best to check thrice before doing anything, but sometimes **** just happens and ds23man, if you arent making the odd mistake in DIY, you arent doing it right...
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:24 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

"if you arent making the odd mistake in DIY, you arent doing it right... "

And that is the nice thing in DIY, you learn from your mistakes... So why make it idiot proof? Should it be designed in a way that every idiot on a street corner can assemble it?????
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:42 PM   #78
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

every idiot on the street corner is going to build an automation system for a 1.5-2k dac? Elitism is out of place here, its already a select group that will even attempt a project like this.

I dont know about you, but I learned connecting things the wrong way was not the best way forward some time ago. now that the novelty has worn off, I dont mind if it doesnt cost me money/time

I will continue to learn new things and sometimes make mistakes that teach me something new, or reinforce good working practice. With basic things like these protections, particularly in cases like this where there is no penalty for sound quality and minimal extra expense, I see it as good design. mistakes can and do happen
Old 23rd October 2012, 06:00 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
you might have a look at the fifo, it has some pretty excellent protection short circuit, overvoltage, reverse polarity etc. with SMD resettable fuses as part of it. it also makes use of SMD LED indication for all parts along the main signal paths that indicate correct connection, speed, lock from one stage to the next etc. so its really easy to track down a problem.
Thanks! I'll definitely have a look. I have seen the SMD LED indication before. The Hypec Ncore power amps have them too. It sure is a nice feature.
Old 23rd October 2012, 06:04 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely have a look. I have seen the SMD LED indication before. The Hypec Ncore power amps have them too. It sure is a nice feature.
On the Ncore these are not indication lights, but leds used as voltage references! Ga je huiswerk eens even doen!

Hide this!Advertise here!