Feedback about DSIX SPDIF Digital Signal Isolation Exciter for DAC fron eBay? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Feedback about DSIX SPDIF Digital Signal Isolation Exciter for DAC fron eBay?

DSIX SPDIF Digital Signal Isolation Exciter for DAC | eBay

Any feedback about it?

Intend to use it on SPFIF output of mediaplayer (16/44.1 ... 24/192).
Old 10th October 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It claims to:
The end result is the transmission speed of a digital waveform is increased and transmission energy is boosted
I would love to know how they are going to increase the transmission speed, as this is related to the Er of the dialectric and cable construction.
Lots of marketing words that sound exciting but are basicly verbal baloons full of methane.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is simple. The more exited the electrons get the faster they go.

More seriously, from the schematic here it's capable of increasing the slew rate as claimed, hence the marketing babble about faster. I would not expect any reduction in baseband jitter unless the noise on the incoming ground is fairly bad. Unless one has a jitter problem and phase noise measurements show meaningful jitter reduction from the approach I wouldn't bother.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I was going to say that the toroidal digital trafo in the schematic might provide useful isolation if there's not already a trafo in the OP's link. But looking more carefully at the module on eBay, I can't see a toroid. So the benefit of this unit is lost on me.
Old 11th October 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Slew rate is generaly refered to as rise time for digital, the trouble is with faster rise times is higher frequency harmonics in the square wave, not always a good thing as it ads it own problems, and as it is the rise time of a signal that determines whether the design is high speed, so adding a fast rise time and not employing high speed layout techniques can be detrimental. Love how marketing twist and distort reality
Old 11th October 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I was going to say that the toroidal digital trafo in the schematic might provide useful isolation if there's not already a trafo in the OP's link. But looking more carefully at the module on eBay, I can't see a toroid. So the benefit of this unit is lost on me.
Note that there is a space for it on the board. It just doesn't seem to be used.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:45 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Is it a reclocker? If so how does it cope with different incoming clock rates?

I note that it is aimed at people who like to spend money on 'expensive digital cables'. That confirms to me that it does nothing useful i.e. whatever it does is unnecessary.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If I was realy cynical, the DSIX label would ring alarmbells, but what frightens me the most is:
DSIX stands for "Digital Signal Isolation Exciter". It was first published on Japan Audio journal 'MJ' by audio artist Isao Shibazaki
Audio artist, sorry but I believe that those working in the various feilds of electronics and design are engineers, not artists, artist are the people who make the music... there is no artistry in the design of audio repreduction, its engineering...
Old 11th October 2012, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would allow some leeway for changes in word use between cultures and translation between languages. But yeah, I'd expect increasing the slew rate to add more jitter---usually one figures a few tens of picoseconds of additive jtter per buffer. Most of the additive jitter won't be baseband and therefore probably irrelevant. A bit of it will be baseband; I would guess how much depends on the structure of the noise in the grounds and the parsitics in the trafo. Could be better, could be worse, could matter, could not matter. All ends up back at that need for phase noise measurements to provide data that's actionable for design.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:28 AM   #10
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Is it a reclocker? If so how does it cope with different incoming clock rates?

I note that it is aimed at people who like to spend money on 'expensive digital cables'. That confirms to me that it does nothing useful i.e. whatever it does is unnecessary.
no, it would appear to be more of an amplifier or....hmm no maybe youre right, it reclocks everything to the rather useless 33MHz clock, a speed mostly used only for CD players.

hmm now i'm just confused

Quote:
Note: Your CDP, transport or DAC do not need to use common clock with this module. So you do not need to concern if your CDP, transport or DAC do not use 33.8688Mhz clock. In that case, just leave the clock out on this module alone. Clock out is optional. 1ppm tcxo built on this module was not purpose to offer clock out but for get low jitter performance.
so my original thought of it being more of an amp/comparator may or may not be right lol

in short xjr100, leave it, its a bunch of hogwash

Last edited by qusp; 12th October 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!