Analogue to Digital Conversion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Aug is offline Aug  England
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Analogue to Digital Conversion

Hi Guys, just after a little basic advice on Analogue to digital conversion.

I have been using an EMU 0202 for converting my Vinyl(after riaa eq) to digital and also as my playback device.

I have been looking at upgrading Dac side with one of the High Quality Dac PCBs on ebay and building into an enclosure to match my diy pre and power amps and get rid of the clutter of little boxes.

Therein lies the snag.

I was hoping to get rid of Emu unit to part finance new purchase, but that would mean no AD Convertor apart from using laptop for this process.

Would this greatly affect the ultimate sound quality? or to put in more simplistic terms, is the Analogue to Digital conversion part of an EMU 0202 signigicantly better than the typical AD facility in a modern day laptop/pc?

Regards

Tid

Regards

TID
Old 28th September 2012, 11:51 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

if the quality of the input is important to you, then no, I wouldnt do that, its actually more difficult and more expensive to make a good ADC due to the analogue preamp input stage. the ADC in your laptop will be below standard, ADC is paid even less attention than the output as its rarely used for anything much; mostly for headset microphones and telephony
Old 28th September 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

also the EMU will be quite good
Old 29th September 2012, 01:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Audio ins and outs on laptops suck big-time. Given that you're putting in the time and effort in digitizing your vinyl it would be 'spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar' to ditch your external interface.
Old 30th September 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is an intermediate option: use the EMU to rip the vinyl, then sell the EMU. Doesn't work so well if one is planning on buying more vinyl but playing back from FLAC or whatever has the advantage of avoiding wear on the record player. Tradeoffs tradeoffs.

Hide this!Advertise here!