Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

hmm, well I kinda like solar Jfets myself =) and i'm pretty happy with ESS, but I would have definitely jumped on this GB to play with a new high bandwidth DSD capable multibit chip. unfortunately as a group us audiophiles dont really have that much buying power vs the unwashed, but the day is coming where short-run component Fabs will become a reality even for us. It will be expensive and time consuming, but probably not much more-so than scouring the planet for EOL silicone

but of course I can see your POV there

I’m calling experienced volunteer DIYer to evaluate the daughter board on PCM1704

Since Vzs has already evaluated the daughter board on AD1865 with success, it seems we can confirm now it works well with AD1865. Thanks Vzs for your great job contributed to the community.

Now I’m calling another experienced DIYer for a quick evaluate on PCM1704. In this case, the volunteer should have a PCM1704 DAC to hoop up to. It would be better having FIFO KIT working together because the well done interface and matching connectors, but it’s not a must. I thank you for your contribution to the community in advance. I’ll make another finished and tested daughter board for evaluation for free (I contribute to the community too:).)

I already have some PCBs. But I don’t want providing them without fully verification and evaluation.

Another question is what kind of kIT I should provide, KIT with bare PCB or finished and tested board. If I provide KIT with bare PCB, I’m sure many of you will be OK with it, but others may have big problem to solder the SMT parts and to test the board, and I have to provide supports for very basic assemble problem which usually very hard to locate and fix over internet. But If I provide the finished board, I have to go through the SMTA factory that will increase the cost by $10 to $20 on each board according to the quantity. Please let me know your point.

Happy New Year!

Ian

In this case, the volunteer should have a PCM1704 DAC to hoop up to. It would be better having FIFO KIT working together because the well done interface and matching connectors, but it’s not a must.

I think Regal might be the man for this, seen as he is so vocal about 1704 NOS. ;)

I've been waiting for the board to be confirmed as working with 1704 and then I'll add myself to the list of interested.
I have 8x 1704K and intend to build a DAC with them, but I do not already have the FIFO. But if noone else steps up to the plate it is the motivation I need to get it done.

With regard to kit/finished. I'd rather finished and tested for the sake of $20.

Updated

TOTAL = 47

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica
analog_sa
andrea_mori x 5
dsavitsk
tagheuer
hirez69 x 2
ccliu
BDL
cddumat
regal
zoran
Jogi
Zen(zenelectro) x 2
Buzzforb
SPWON
crobbins5421
marcus1 X 2
casshan x 2
Dweeb99 X 2
jackw X 2
kazap X 2
danzup x 3
Giordano x2
Tony_T

TOTAL = 48

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica
analog_sa
andrea_mori x 5
dsavitsk
tagheuer
hirez69 x 2
ccliu
BDL
cddumat
regal
zoran
Jogi
Zen(zenelectro) x 2
Buzzforb
SPWON
crobbins5421
marcus1 X 2
casshan x 2
Dweeb99 X 2
jackw X 2
kazap X 2
danzup x 3
Giordano x2
Tony_T
Tubo x1

TOTAL = 50

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica
analog_sa
andrea_mori x 5
dsavitsk
tagheuer
hirez69 x 2
ccliu
BDL
cddumat
regal
zoran
Jogi
Zen(zenelectro) x 2
Buzzforb
SPWON
crobbins5421
marcus1 X 2
casshan x 2
Dweeb99 X 2
jackw X 2
kazap X 2
danzup x 3
Giordano x2
Tony_T
Tubo x1
clivem x2

Ian,

Reviewing this I have a question finally, if you remember we "argued about" the 24/32bit i2s standard and its flaw when the original Fifo project was first started.

You have done an excellent job with the timings as presented here.

But to get 16 bits resolution out of an R2R playing RBCD is "harder" than than it looks. In otherwords when playing rbcd it may be an advantage to switch output to 32fs bckl so we avoid truncation from the padding present in the revised I2S standard.

You have followed the datasheet very well and for playing 24/96 material all is good.

But when playing 16/44.1 redbook, the original standard calls for a 32fs Bckl so that the 16th bit is preserved.

Is it too late or possible to have a means to switch to 32 fs Bckl when playing red book cd so that these chips aren't "truncating" and losing that LSB extension error ?

Or am I fretting about nothing ?

Also if someone wants to beta test the PCM1704 but needs a Fifo I have a complete rev 1.0 I could "lend" with the only thing I ask is it could be updated to the latest firmware.

Wanted a second one.....

TOTAL = 51

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica
analog_sa
andrea_mori x 5
dsavitsk
tagheuer
hirez69 x 2
ccliu
BDL
cddumat
regal
zoran
Jogi
Zen(zenelectro) x 2
Buzzforb
SPWON
crobbins5421 X 2
marcus1 X 2
casshan x 2
Dweeb99 X 2
jackw X 2
kazap X 2
danzup x 3
Giordano x2
Tony_T
Tubo x1
clivem x2

Ian,

Reviewing this I have a question finally, if you remember we "argued about" the 24/32bit i2s standard and its flaw when the original Fifo project was first started.

You have done an excellent job with the timings as presented here.

But to get 16 bits resolution out of an R2R playing RBCD is "harder" than than it looks. In otherwords when playing rbcd it may be an advantage to switch output to 32fs bckl so we avoid truncation from the padding present in the revised I2S standard.

You have followed the datasheet very well and for playing 24/96 material all is good.

But when playing 16/44.1 redbook, the original standard calls for a 32fs Bckl so that the 16th bit is preserved.

Is it too late or possible to have a means to switch to 32 fs Bckl when playing red book cd so that these chips aren't "truncating" and losing that LSB extension error ?

Or am I fretting about nothing ?

Also if someone wants to beta test the PCM1704 but needs a Fifo I have a complete rev 1.0 I could "lend" with the only thing I ask is it could be updated to the latest firmware.

Thanks regal,

With the I2S to PCM daughter board, the 32/64fs is no longer an issue. For NOS DACs, for example, AD1865, it can output only 18 bit with 18 clocks, while AD1862 for 20bit, PCM1704 for 24bit, and so on.

The daughter board itself follows the standard I2S protocol which doesn't care about the 32/64fs.

I'm highly recommending using the daughter board for those who care about this issue.

64Fs I2S becomes popular for most of current DACs, running it at 32Fs will limit the FIFO application and make troubles with many DACs which require 64Fs I2S. In my next multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO projcet, I may consider making FIFO output following the input I2S on *Fs. Thank you for your suggestion.

No problem upgrading the FIFO and it's for free. Still keep my address tag?

Happy New Year.

Ian

If no one for beta tester & regal lend the fifo, I'm offer as beta tester.

You already offered! ;) You were first to offer to test and you are second on the interested list. In my book, that makes you the prime candidate.

<cheeky>Ian, please hurry up and send him the board. Let's get this show on the road..... LOL.</cheeky>

PS. I've added myself to the list for 2 boards. I'll re-work my balanced dual AD1865 DAC with one of the boards and finally build the 1704 I've been putting off forever.