Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 04:44 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

James, I think I failed to understand the nuances of your question, I'll defer to those more knowledgeable on these matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
Jeremy's idea (qusp) of using an internal digital Xover that outputs 2 discrete signal paths (Hi Pass & Lo Pass signals) to 2 seperate dac chips via 2 seperate FIFO brds - it would be even better if a common master clock could run both the FIFO brds and the dac chips, possibly via divider/reclock.
I don't this is quite Jeremy's idea. I think the idea is to have a single combined FIFO that accepts multichannel i2s input. The single most significant downside to the FIFO is that there is no deterministic way to synchronise two of them (or synchronise the FIFO with a video stream which is a more common challenge). So while it's in output very similar to having two but my understanding is that the datastream would all need to basically go through one FPGA configured as FIFO with buffer for multiple channels and clocked by one masterclock board (as you've said). That's a bit outside of the scope of the I2S -> PCM driver board though ...

I second what Jeremy (qusp) has said above too, Ian's one of a kind in terms of collaboration with users and almost unbelievably quick turnaround!!

Last edited by hochopeper; 19th October 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:48 AM   #52
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thats correct, as it stands I cant really use this for multichannel/digital XO, but the thing is so darn good i'm continuing to collect pieces to use in the meantime to the rest of my system is ready and after that use it for my headphone rig

hopefully one day Ian will be seduced by the idea of running his ESS multichannel ()

James probably just read some of my dreaming out loud in his research. I have other multichannel USB and masterclock modules in my 'collection' to get me by for now (silly as that may sound)

Last edited by qusp; 19th October 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 19th October 2012, 05:14 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

I was hoping you would pick up on this and thank you very much for your kind words - it's a pity my "ol' noggin" wasn't a bit more adaptable and could absorb/understand this digital info better, but will plug on.

Yes, Ian is a real whiz-kid eh? Dunno how he does it, but really happy about it.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:20 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,
I own some old fashion dac chip suitable for NOS application (PCM56, PCM63, AD1862, AD1865, TDA1541, TDA1543), so if you want I could partecipate to help you testing the board.

Let me know.

Andrea
Old 19th October 2012, 05:01 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I'm I have pcm1704 for testing.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:46 AM   #56
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Put me on the "interested" list...
Old 20th October 2012, 07:31 PM   #57
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
Well, I'm very happy that you would consider my special requirements and even happier to use it as an alternative to John Brown's (EC Design) technique of isolating the computer from the dac via his SD card system

To me this is a key attribute of this FiFo->PCM. It allows a true local master clock for the DAC but without the hassel SD cards and add and the flexibility to use whatever playback software you prefer. This would basically plug right into the EC DAC board in place of the SD player. It re-defines what we think of when we define a transport and DAC.
Old 21st October 2012, 08:10 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Definitely interested too
Old 21st October 2012, 10:03 AM   #59
Rupor54 is offline Rupor54  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Hi. I want buy this board.Grigoriy
Old 21st October 2012, 10:11 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

I want buy this board

Hide this!Advertise here!