Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

That's amazing as says Donald ! Wow !

It's one of your toy at your Job to make prototypes ? You putt the parts with optical alignement and it's soldered in one shot ? Or is it such toys than asiatic suppliers for instance are using for little serie orders ?

Like it, beautifull object, device... What are the leaders in this domain ? Americans ? Japonese ? Chineese or German ?

That's amazing what you can find when you know where to look for...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Kali Reclocker to Ian PCM board.

Hi everyone,

I just assembled some Dac with the following hardware combination (After failed attempt on the PCM1702 in perfboard.

Volumio - Rpi - Kali Reclocker - Ian PCM - Ad1865 or PCM1702 - Opamp IV

I am unable to get any music out from the Dac. All I got is pink noise at the output. Have anyone ever tried connecting the I2S signal (with mclk) from Kali reclocker to Ian PCM board?

I have tried getting the Kali Reclocker I2S signal to work with the TDA1543 in perfboard and passive IV stage without any problem. (just a little bit low level at the output).

Regards,
Cheng

Attachments

• Rpi-Kali-Ian PCM-AD1865 Core Board-Opamp IV.JPG
    Rpi-Kali-Ian PCM-AD1865 Core Board-Opamp IV.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Rpi-Isolator-Kali-Ian PCM-PCM1702 Dac-Opamp IV.JPG
    Rpi-Isolator-Kali-Ian PCM-PCM1702 Dac-Opamp IV.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 488
  • Rpi-Isolator Hat-Kali-Ian PCM-TDA1543 Dac-Passive IV.JPG
    Rpi-Isolator Hat-Kali-Ian PCM-TDA1543 Dac-Passive IV.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 476
Hi everyone,

I just assembled some Dac with the following hardware combination (After failed attempt on the PCM1702 in perfboard.

Volumio - Rpi - Kali Reclocker - Ian PCM - Ad1865 or PCM1702 - Opamp IV

I am unable to get any music out from the Dac. All I got is pink noise at the output. Have anyone ever tried connecting the I2S signal (with mclk) from Kali reclocker to Ian PCM board?

I have tried getting the Kali Reclocker I2S signal to work with the TDA1543 in perfboard and passive IV stage without any problem. (just a little bit low level at the output).

Regards,
Cheng

Hi Cheng,

Good Job! Look very nice and very organized.

How's the sound?

Is that the IsolatorPi in the second picture?

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Eldam,

Yes. The Kali has a u.fl mclk out, just that I'm not sure whether it works with the pcm board.

Hi Ian,

Thank you. Yes it is your isolatorpi in the second & third picture. I did not get them to work on the AD1865 & PCM1702. Don't know whats went wrong, as I assume all I2S signal should be a standard.

Maybe I should try your FIFO to isolate the problem. Or maybe it is the opamp IV, but I remember they work well with my other diyinhk dac. :confused:

I like to plan the boards positioning for testing before transferring them into a proper chassis :)

Cheng

Hi vzs,

I have double checked all the u.fl connection from kali > PCM board > Dac board. I do not know the problem is the opamp IV or kali>ian pcm compatibility.

Do I really need a mclk data for ian pcm > dac board?

p.s. I have checked & confirmed the 5vdd and +-5Vcc input to the DAC too.

Cheng

Last edited:
Do I really need a mclk data for ian pcm > dac board

You need a MCLK to I2StoPCM board only, MCLK range can be 128*Fs to 2048*Fs.
I2StoPCM board uses that MCLK for reclocking the PCM signals sent to the DAC board.
So if you play Fs = 44.1KHz music you need at least 5.6448MHz MCLK for the PCM board.

Try to measure the signal frequencies at the DAC pins. I see you have (at least) a Fluke 115, with that you can check LLLR with 44.1KHz music you should see ~44.1KHz on the meter. If you have a better one measure CLK too.

Hi all,

Manage to get the AD1865 & PCM1702s Dac board to sing with following setup. Can't figure out why it doesn't with the Kali setup. (May try again to confirm)

Rpi>Ian Fifo>Ian Isolator Board>Ian Dual Clock Board>Ian PCM Board >Dac Board>Opamp IV

The reason I got into this project is because I wanted to try old NOS R2R Dacs in simultaneous mode before its all gone in the future :D And I hope to replace my old cd player (marantz cd63) with HD/Rpi, as the it is so much more convenient.

So far I find both Ad1865 & PCM1702s Dacs set up to sound smooth and detail especially in vocal. My marantz is also very detail and musical, but the sound is abit "on your face", just like other DS dac that I have heard. Next on the test bench will be trying out on different IV output.

Again I would like to thanks Ian for all the nice digital interface boards. It really makes integrating with nos dac so much easier :)

Cheng

Attachments

• 400Hz Test Tone.JPG
    400Hz Test Tone.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 4Khz Test Tone.JPG
    4Khz Test Tone.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 216
  • Close Up View.JPG
    Close Up View.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 291
  • Over View.JPG