Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

Mick, if I can.. I'm not finding a lot of difference between d3a, e280F… e180F a bit brittle bit still kick ****.

These are all near zero biased with a known good CCS load.

Time to stop worrying and go to the library?.. or have you some suggestion outside of ADD44 OPA861 as low impedance loads to 1541A.

Shane

Hello Ian,

Hope you are well!

I am assisting a fellow Australian in connecting up the i2stoPCM to a TDA1541 ... I had a look at your PCB layout in post 242 and noticed the silkscreen in the manual for DCOUT/GND on TP9/TP1 appears to be back to front. He has the boards so I dont have one handy to poke at, could you confirm the polarity for the connection to the isolator board from these test points? I think TP9 should be +ve output rather than GND.

I also noticed that these connections are not mentioned in the manual, would be handy to have them mentioned if ever a new revision to the i2s to PCM converter manual is released.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm doing very well. Thank you so much.

Yes, you are right. You found a bug. TP9 is V+ and TP1 is GND. But the silkscreen was reversed, my bad :p.

TP9 together with TP1 was reserved for powering some possible devices, electronically it equivalent to J6. Your friend can use it if he need tapping power from PCM board. Please just make sure no to introduce any noise to the power of PCM board.

I'm so sorry for totally absent from the thread in the last two weeks. I was focus on design the multi-channel DSD/I2S FIFO project. The progress is very promising so far. The kernel logic is running great on my testing fixture with 8 channels DSD /14 channels I2S ability. All tests were up to 384KHz. The only thing is that I spent too many logic cells, I'm afraid I have to use Cyclone IV.

The next stage I'll develop software for all details and making FIFO delay time adjustable from 0.1 to 0.5s to meet the requirement of synchronizing with video.

I'll leave for Vancouver tomorrow for vacation and will be back on next week.

Regards,

Ian

Dear Ian,

May you add for the input of this board uf.l trace like you did for the input in your next production please ? Could you telle us if it's possible ?

I would like to obtain the same quality of impedance matching and insulation with a third party device. I'm on the list for a standalone I2S to PCM but the input connector of the board maid for the FIFO stay a problem for me and some people...

I've got a technical question : could I slave the board with an external MCLK of any speed if the 32 fs or 64 fs input of Bclk is ok and the minimum 128 fs of the MCLK is respected (readed in the manual pdf) I just need max 48 Khz max in relation to my discs and want to go for a low speed Crystal like 12.x .... ?

Coul I supress the MCLK link between the I2s to PCM and the DAC chip is both are feeded from the same external MCLK (a uf.l wire for each) ? I would like a scenario where I put by own MCLK but the one of the dacboard near the dac chip...

Thank you for your answers

Eldam

Hi Ian,

About the PCMboard please : could I slave the board with any external MCLK of any speed if the 32 fs or 64 fs input of Bclk is ok and the minimum 128 fs of the MCLK is respected (readed in the manual pdf)? Or does the PCM board can only be slaved at 45.x or 49.x K hz ?

Could I supress the MCLK link between the PCM board and the DAC chip if both are feeded from the same external MCLK (a uf.l wire for each) ?

I would like a confirmation of a scenario where I put by own MCLK near the dac chip without the FIFO but with your PCM.

About the Wave I/O and the glitch heared with the isolator on it and your PCM board: is the non isolated uf.l connectors are enough quit to be used with the PCM board or would you advise an another USB to I2S board : Amareno or, DIYinkh e.g.? : Always with the PCM board only. It's for a TDA 1541 board !

At least, is there a minimal quantity for your interrest GB list about the PCM board ? Are we far or did you already plan a date to come ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll leave for Vancouver tomorrow for vacation and will be back on next week.

Regards,

Ian

Hi, Ian
Had I known earlier that you'd be vacationing in Vancouver I would have taken you out for a beer. Maybe next time. Whatever the case, I started to read this thread for the first time today and have enjoyed it a lot - so thank you for that. Great work.
-Edward

Dear Ian,

May you add for the input of this board uf.l trace like you did for the input in your next production please ? Could you telle us if it's possible ?

I would like to obtain the same quality of impedance matching and insulation with a third party device. I'm on the list for a standalone I2S to PCM but the input connector of the board maid for the FIFO stay a problem for me and some people...

I've got a technical question : could I slave the board with an external MCLK of any speed if the 32 fs or 64 fs input of Bclk is ok and the minimum 128 fs of the MCLK is respected (readed in the manual pdf) I just need max 48 Khz max in relation to my discs and want to go for a low speed Crystal like 12.x .... ?

Coul I supress the MCLK link between the I2s to PCM and the DAC chip is both are feeded from the same external MCLK (a uf.l wire for each) ? I would like a scenario where I put by own MCLK but the one of the dacboard near the dac chip...

Thank you for your answers

Eldam

Hi Eldam,

For my I2S to PCM board, MCLK can go any speed from 32 to 64Fs. But you have to make sure it the same MCLK of your I2S source, or you have to include a FIFO before the PCM board to go a ASYNC operation. This MCLK can apply to your DAC too if it really need a one.

U.FL sockets are reserved optional and usually need to be assembled buy DIYer. Please let me know if your really have problem doing that.

Good weekend.

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

About the PCMboard please : could I slave the board with any external MCLK of any speed if the 32 fs or 64 fs input of Bclk is ok and the minimum 128 fs of the MCLK is respected (readed in the manual pdf)? Or does the PCM board can only be slaved at 45.x or 49.x K hz ?

Could I supress the MCLK link between the PCM board and the DAC chip if both are feeded from the same external MCLK (a uf.l wire for each) ?

I would like a confirmation of a scenario where I put by own MCLK near the dac chip without the FIFO but with your PCM.

About the Wave I/O and the glitch heared with the isolator on it and your PCM board: is the non isolated uf.l connectors are enough quit to be used with the PCM board or would you advise an another USB to I2S board : Amareno or, DIYinkh e.g.? : Always with the PCM board only. It's for a TDA 1541 board !

At least, is there a minimal quantity for your interrest GB list about the PCM board ? Are we far or did you already plan a date to come ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Hi Eldam,

I confirmed that the new generation of XMOS USB works perfect with/without isolator for my I2S-PCM board up to 384KHz. I have a TDA1514A too. The sound was amazing playing 384KHz music for my iMac.

The new generation XMOS is in BGA package, it's using 48MHz system clock, the performance could be much better than the old generation for the processing speed and I2S timing. I would recommend it and the the Amareno.

I still have some I2S to PCM board PCB, but I run out all FIFO KIT and clock board. If there are enough order of PCM board, I may consider running another GB for I2S to PCM board in advance. Please let me know.

Regards,

Ian

Hi, Ian
Had I known earlier that you'd be vacationing in Vancouver I would have taken you out for a beer. Maybe next time. Whatever the case, I started to read this thread for the first time today and have enjoyed it a lot - so thank you for that. Great work.
-Edward

Thank you so much Edward,

Vancouver is a very beautiful Canada place and it's much different from Toronto.
Here a some pictures I took in Vancouver, I was trying my best, but the real landscape is even better, so next time, for your beer :).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125139680@N08/sets/72157645054709848/

Have a good weekend.

Ian

I confirmed that the new generation of XMOS USB works perfect with/without isolator for my I2S-PCM board up to 384KHz. I have a TDA1514A too. The sound was amazing playing 384KHz music for my iMac.

Hey Ian,

Have one of these still in the box, just wondering how you go playing 44.1 without up sampling or resampling. Down sampling I can deal with but up sampling hasn't ever sounded right to me, loses something in translation.

I think I grasp the TDA1541 will play up to 192 on a "normal speed clock" and from 88.2 to 384 on a half speed clock? So I am just trying to grasp if the clock used is the si570 can it adjust to half speed if playing above 192 or could we use a divider to halve the clock sample when sample rate is above 192 which could be watched or set from indicators on wave io?

Thanks,

Drew.

Down sampling I can deal with but up sampling hasn't ever sounded right to me, loses something in translation.

Hi Drew,

Do you mean the concept doesn't make sense logically or that the audio output produced when up sampling is less than satisfactory? I disagree either way but just wanted to clarify :).

If you mean that the audio doesn't sound 'right' then I would suggest the upsampling hasn't been done right rather than any general conclusion about upsampling in general. There is a number of different approaches to upsampling - SRC Comparisons compares some of them.

We need to catch up at some point Drew, I'll send you an email in a few days.

Cheers,
Chris