Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 07:00 AM   #21
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hmm I guess I havent had as many troubles, as I see it the PC has more than enough processing power, is more flexible and allows the crossover, volume control and OSF to be part of one and the same process. hardware is nice and I understand what you mean, but the issues you speak of are with certain software designers and the users susceptibility to black magic claims, nothing to do with the PC/MAC itself.

write the code to utilize the vector processor in the i5/7 or a suitable graphics card
The concern people still have with any PC is still the operating system, too many different types of hardware combinations to ensure 100% data integrity 100% of the time. But I agree that it should be a non-issue, if you do simple checks. However spitting out a real-time 384khz i2s stream from a home computer isn't really something folks have validated.
Old 30th September 2012, 05:52 PM   #22
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Well, you can do it both ways:
Oversample and play it "on the fly" or oversample and store it as an (say) 24/192 file.
Needs more disk space though...
This way, you can play the already oversampled files without the PC on, just a NAS and a network player with S/PDIF 192kHz out. There are some around now AFAIK.
Old 30th September 2012, 07:51 PM   #23
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Maybe it should be highlighted that this board will also deliver the inverted data.
Especially for AD1865 as a stereo DAC, you can use one per channel.
As one channel is inverted, some currents will cancel out (eg Iout R = -Iout L), this can lead to improved performance, less modulation on the supplies and less ground bounce etc.

I like this feature as I want to have an all balanced setup from DAC to power amp.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:58 AM   #24
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsula View Post
Well, you can do it both ways:
Oversample and play it "on the fly" or oversample and store it as an (say) 24/192 file.
Needs more disk space though...
I wanted to point this out...
I'm planning the same, converting and saving in batch my whole library to (let's say) 24/192 and play through and SB Touch from an USB 1T hard-drive. Hard-drive space is cheap, no need to trouble with fast processing to have on the fly conversion.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:36 AM   #25
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

4 x isnt enough IMO
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:38 AM   #26
nik.d is offline nik.d  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
4 x isnt enough IMO
Hi qusp, you are right on this. I'm relatively 'new' here and would not like to sound as advertising anything, however there is software player which I consider ultimate achievement in digital audio reproduction.

It's called XXHighEnd and it's author implemented up to 16 times 'upsampling' - depending on DAC capabilities. 'Upsampling' is actually proprietary algorithm. Another achievement is software filtering iof hardware filtering. Simply, amazing piece of code. It requires capable PC, more cores/threads - faster processing. And it's memory player - the only way to go PC audio.

George
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik.d View Post
It's called XXHighEnd and it's author implemented up to 16 times 'upsampling' - depending on DAC capabilities.
Doesn't that design (Phasure) use PCM1704? The datasheets from TI/BB show that DAC performs worse at 16X than the PCM63 (earlier generation) does at 8X OS. What advantage do you see in going to 16X?
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:36 AM   #28
nik.d is offline nik.d  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Doesn't that design (Phasure) use PCM1704? The datasheets from TI/BB show that DAC performs worse at 16X than the PCM63 (earlier generation) does at 8X OS. What advantage do you see in going to 16X?
Exactly, PCM1704U/K and 8 of them (4 per channel). Don't know about datasheet(s) but have a look @ graphs (first generation NOS1 DAC, sampling rate limited by interface PC-DAC used)

As SW user for several years now (moving from cic's cMP) all I can say: re-creation of 3D stage, recording ambient and for example sound of cymbals, hi-hat's etc. (I'm not musician, just listener ) it's like live performance. I use (or re-discover) almost strictly 16/44.1 material. Older CD's preferably, "pre-loudness-war"
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:06 AM   #29
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
4 x isnt enough IMO
IMO it depends as well on the analog LPF that follows.

What kind of LPF are you using/would you use at 8x?

Last edited by vzs; 2nd October 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:00 PM   #30
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik.d View Post
Exactly, PCM1704U/K and 8 of them (4 per channel). Don't know about datasheet(s) but have a look @ graphs (first generation NOS1 DAC, sampling rate limited by interface PC-DAC used)

As SW user for several years now (moving from cic's cMP) all I can say: re-creation of 3D stage, recording ambient and for example sound of cymbals, hi-hat's etc. (I'm not musician, just listener ) it's like live performance. I use (or re-discover) almost strictly 16/44.1 material. Older CD's preferably, "pre-loudness-war"
Yep, anyway you look at it, there is potential here for better things, a new direction for home audio, more potential than relying on propretary code or lone-wolf code burned to FPGA's.

Hide this!Advertise here!