Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 10:29 AM   #191
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
ecdesigns keeps changing his mind as to what sounds "better". He used to reclock his DEM really fast. Last I read he had gone to a slow, free running clock using a big capacitor between pins 16 and 17.
Yes i know, its a little confusing, but his willingness to experiment and be creative is always good to read about in his thread. At least it sparks some type of discussion.

I'm currently trying to determine what DEM frequency sounds best. I've currently got it running at 88khz.

My understanding of his latest reasoning is that the lower the DEM, the less crosstalk and resulting jitter imposed upon BCK to trigger the latch enable.

sorry, a bit off topic...
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:32 AM   #192
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wasn't knocking him. I guess I was just getting at that its one of those things you have to try for yourself.
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:29 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
Hi new2hifi,

Since the TDA1541A accepts the I2S format directly, there is no point converting from I2S to PCM if you want to run the 1541 in NOS.........
Ryan
Thanks for information regarding TDA1541A ryanj. But original question is still unanswered.

Does this I2S to PCM convertor board oversample everything? If yes, then oversampling is a forced operation or optional?

Last edited by new2hifi; 3rd January 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:50 PM   #194
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hifi View Post
Thanks for information regarding TDA1541A ryanj. But original question is still unanswered.

Does this I2S to PCM convertor board oversample everything? If yes, then oversampling is a forced operation or optional?
new2hifi,

My understanding is that no oversampling is done by the use of this board. This board is used to change data format.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:51 PM   #195
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

it would be possible to oversample individual signals using the board i'm sure, but yeah afaik its certainly not compulsory or normal operation
Old 4th January 2013, 12:39 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Default PCM1704

Thanks Ryan and qusp!

I plan to experiment with PCM1704 via this board. Definitely in NOS and no-filter configuration; Tube output will make my day

Anybody else has similar plans?
Old 4th January 2013, 04:11 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Knight
Would the AD1865 benefit from a better clock, say Ian's Si570?

Old 4th January 2013, 07:43 AM   #198
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Yes it is always benefit of better clock with own PS. With proper connection...
Old 4th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #199
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hifi View Post

It could only be used for interpolation to 8X no filtering so technically not oversampling. Its really just format conversion for NOS, or if you want to oversample you could do that with your computer. I don't think it is worth asking iam for 8x interpolation as it isn't useful for anything.

For average NOS single chip TDA1541A build you wouldn't need this daughter board since the TDA1541 accepts 64fs blck i2S.

But for the high end NOS tda1541A it would be usefull for dual differential simultaneous mode using the offset binary. Some really fantastic measurements have been shown that dual differential TDA1541A helps cancel some of the TDA1541's tendancy to have extra 2H (see Tazz's threads.) Using thing daughter board rather than discrete work-arounds could prove very useful, ie. it really helps with the output stage. Dual differential mode done right (potentially with this daughter board) also takes you closer to an S2 grade tda1541 as far as measurements go.

The more I think about it I think we will all be crying for a dual differential simultanious offset binary mode for the TDA1541A, so might want to include it now.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:41 PM   #200
noizas is offline noizas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

TOTAL = 53

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica