Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2013, 08:35 AM   #171
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/...n96/an9657.pdf
Old 1st January 2013, 10:14 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I was playing with the raspberry pi for a day, now I have a remote controlled (by and android tablet) media player, with BAD sound output. Now I need a USB to I2S adapter. Which one do you suggest ? It should work with the standard libraries, with not special driver. Smaller is better. Than I will need this board between the I2S and my AD1865 DAC.
Thanks,
JG
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:41 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
The L/R simultaneous mode is probably the most desirable way to use your board with the TDA1541. Very few TDA1541 designs use offset binary because of the complexity of the glue logic required to do this.

I have never tried it, but my understanding is that offset binary is the same as two's compliment, just with the MSB inverted.

These two links seems to explain it well.
C3Dformat
Offset binary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will be interested to try offset binary with the TDA1541 this when the boards are finally ready.
Thanks erin,

In this case, it seems I need to include the offset binary decoding into my FPGA design for TDA1541/A. Hopefully, we still can get drop of juice from it.

Regards,

Ian
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:41 AM   #174
diyAudio Member

Default Oversampling/NOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
Hi Ian,
...........With the I2S to PCM convertor board you get the added "advantage" of oversampling of up to 8x (352.8k).........
Ryan
So this I2S to PCM convertor cannot be used in pure NOS application due to oversampling? Oversampling is a forced operation or could be turned off?
Old 2nd January 2013, 06:09 AM   #175
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hifi View Post
So this I2S to PCM convertor cannot be used in pure NOS application due to oversampling? Oversampling is a forced operation or could be turned off?
Hi new2hifi,

Since the TDA1541A accepts the I2S format directly, there is no point converting from I2S to PCM if you want to run the 1541 in NOS.

I really don't know enough about the PCM format to comment on any advantages. Maybe somebody else can advise.

Ryan
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:46 AM   #176
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

can a synchronous oversampled 4-8*FS output from this board be fed directly to the TDA for DEM reclocking, or is the only way to adjust the DEM by the use of specific capacitor values to adjust the normally free-running clock?
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:11 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Thanks erin,

In this case, it seems I need to include the offset binary decoding into my FPGA design for TDA1541/A. Hopefully, we still can get drop of juice from it.

Regards,

Ian
Yes that would be very good of you to do so.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:15 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
Hi new2hifi,

Since the TDA1541A accepts the I2S format directly, there is no point converting from I2S to PCM if you want to run the 1541 in NOS.

I really don't know enough about the PCM format to comment on any advantages. Maybe somebody else can advise.

Ryan
Please allow me to advise.
This board Ian is making will allow the option of a simultaneous output of offset binary Left and Right Data. For TDA1541 enthusiasts, and tinkerers, this will allow a person to create a dual mono TDA1541 board. Also possible is a dual differential, or balanced output TDA1541 board.

I know many people will be interested in these possibilities.

And it may be worth nothing, but I have read reports from those that have tried it, that the offset binary data input sounds better than the i2s.
I don't know, but I am keen to try it.

It will also allow the use of the TDA1540 chip.

Last edited by erin; 2nd January 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:26 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
can a synchronous oversampled 4-8*FS output from this board be fed directly to the TDA for DEM reclocking, or is the only way to adjust the DEM by the use of specific capacitor values to adjust the normally free-running clock?
Qusp, the 1541 has limited bandwidth to about 6.5Mhz. The DEM has successfully been clocked from BCK at 2.8Mhz by several members following such designs as member "ecdesigns" (John Brown) has used in the past.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:27 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Please allow me to advise.
This board Ian is making will allow the option of a simultaneous output of offset binary Left and Right Data. For TDA1541 enthusiasts, and tinkerers, this will allow a person to create a dual mono TDA1541 board. Also possible is a dual differential, or balanced output TDA1541 board.

I know many people will be interested in these possibilities.

And it may be worth nothing, but I have read reports from those that have tried it, that the offset binary data input sounds better than the i2s.
I don't know, but I am keen to try it.
Thanks for clearing that up erin.

Hide this!Advertise here!