Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2012, 10:17 PM   #121
tom6 is offline tom6  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi VZS, zinsula

As the 'official' testers it would be interesting to hear what improvements the addition of the driver board has had on your systems.
Have either of you had a chance for some detailed listening to describe what changes (major or minor) the board brings to your sound as yet?

Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 06:03 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

TOTAL = 41

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54
vitalica
analog_sa
andrea_mori x 5
dsavitsk
tagheuer
hirez69 x 2
ccliu
BDL
cddumat
regal
zoran
Jogi
Zen(zenelectro) x 2
Buzzforb
SPWON
crobbins5421
marcus1 X 2
casshan x 2
Dweeb99 X 2
jackw X 2
kazap X 2
Old 18th December 2012, 10:01 AM   #123
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6 View Post
Hi VZS, zinsula

As the 'official' testers it would be interesting to hear what improvements the addition of the driver board has had on your systems.
Have either of you had a chance for some detailed listening to describe what changes (major or minor) the board brings to your sound as yet?

Thanks
Being a glue logic board it shouldn't add anything to the system but it should be as transparent as possible and I think this board does this excellently. As I said couple of pages ahead it works flawlessly from 44.1K to 192K I tested.
Compared to my previous glue logic with HC164s and HC374 it is much-much better - but that had several design flaws especially regarding the PCB routing.

I already forgot it's integrated into my system as I was focusing onto the I/V stage
Old 18th December 2012, 04:35 PM   #124
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

Hi, vzs and zinsula from me too :-)
Do you have any experiences with TDA1543A, TDA1544 or TDA1545 together with subject? It is very important for me to get them working together due to specific japanese RJ 48xFs (WS line) format.
Thanks a lot!
Old 19th December 2012, 01:49 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzs View Post
Being a glue logic board it shouldn't add anything to the system but it should be as transparent as possible and I think this board does this excellently. As I said couple of pages ahead it works flawlessly from 44.1K to 192K I tested.
Compared to my previous glue logic with HC164s and HC374 it is much-much better - but that had several design flaws especially regarding the PCB routing.

I already forgot it's integrated into my system as I was focusing onto the I/V stage

Thank vzs for confirming AD1865 works properly with the I2S-PCM daughter board, at continue/stoped clock mode and from 44.1Khz to 192Khz.

If it is possible, I'd be glad to see some pictures of your setup .

Merry Christmas!

Ian
Old 20th December 2012, 07:41 PM   #126
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

So here comes the mass I call my DAC

From top-left to bottom-right the modules are:
- r2r volume control and input selection connected to the controller with LCD from middle-bottom
- dual Salas shunt regs from a DCB1 Hypnotize board and a Pass D1 I/V converter to fit over the empty space of the Hypnotize board
- yummy DAC and FIFO sandwich the temporary DAC PCB one day will be replaced with one containing a selectable digital filter (DF1706) when the source is 44.1Khz (CD). Before somebody complains: 0603|0805 decoupling caps are on the bottom of the DAC board
- bottom of DAC sandwich are 3 Salas shunts feeding the AD1865. When the digital isolator will be ready one of them will also fed the clock and I2S-to-PCM board
- then comes a SPDIF receiver with CS8416 connected to a SPDIF buffer (Jocko like) that is on the back side of the veroboard with the BNCs
- finally a 5V prereg for the FIFO and some shielded over-sized toroids

What is on the workbench:
- another DCB1 Hypnotize board to have a buffer after the volume controller
- your digital isolator board
- small selector to switch between two I/Vs

Thanks, Zsolt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6713_lq.jpg (209.8 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6698_lq.jpg (330.5 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6697_lq.jpg (323.1 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6710_lq.jpg (310.8 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6715_lq.jpg (271.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6717_lq.jpg (328.0 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by vzs; 20th December 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:27 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzs View Post
So here comes the mass I call my DAC

From top-left to bottom-right the modules are:
- r2r volume control and input selection connected to the controller with LCD from middle-bottom
- dual Salas shunt regs from a DCB1 Hypnotize board and a Pass D1 I/V converter to fit over the empty space of the Hypnotize board
- yummy DAC and FIFO sandwich the temporary DAC PCB one day will be replaced with one containing a selectable digital filter (DF1706) when the source is 44.1Khz (CD). Before somebody complains: 0603|0805 decoupling caps are on the bottom of the DAC board
- bottom of DAC sandwich are 3 Salas shunts feeding the AD1865. When the digital isolator will be ready one of them will also fed the clock and I2S-to-PCM board
- then comes a SPDIF receiver with CS8416 connected to a SPDIF buffer (Jocko like) that is on the back side of the veroboard with the BNCs
- finally a 5V prereg for the FIFO and some shielded over-sized toroids

What is on the workbench:
- another DCB1 Hypnotize board to have a buffer after the volume controller
- your digital isolator board
- small selector to switch between two I/VsSa

Thanks, Zsolt
Hi Zsolt,

Your DAC looks great! It's amazing how you could fit everything into a very compact space. You have SPDIF interface, FIFO, clock, daughter board, AD1865, D1 IV,shunt regs, controller with LCD... almost everything .

I like your 1865 core board, looks very clean, I almost couldn't help...

Why my Salas shunt reg is much bigger than yours? As well as my D1 I/V. Did I miss some wonderful group buy? What is the Hypnotize board? I'm interested in the board.Can you give me a bit more details?

Thanks Zsolt for sharing pictures of your system with us. It seems I need take some time to get understand every details.

Merry Christmas

Ian
Old 21st December 2012, 02:17 AM   #128
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why my Salas shunt reg is much bigger than yours? As well as my D1 I/V. Did I miss some wonderful group buy? What is the Hypnotize board? I'm interested in the board.Can you give me a bit more details?
because his is part of the hypnotise board, which does not permit as much flexibility, or as high voltage (without modifications) its similar to the hotrod DCB1. it has an analogue stage on there, along with the regs, but many ended up just building the regs with it to power other things, which without using the free space like he has, makes them larger, not smaller.

His version of the D1 is much lower voltage and lower current, thus smaller, hes not even using heatsinks at all.... I admit its very cool indeed fitting in the empty space like that, neat idea, but in the NTD1 development thread you can see how profoundly different the performance is with NTD1 and ESS to stock D1 and ESS, no way in hell it will fit in that space. NTD1 uses no buffer but MUCH higher class A bias at more than double the voltage to push the transconductance of the mosfets up and thus bring the impedance down along with THD to match. this brute force uses space
Old 21st December 2012, 06:15 AM   #129
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default me included ...

TOTAL = 42

TV Man x 2
merlin el mago
rtd
jameshillj
erin
Nikola Krivorov x 3
Rupor54