very budget USB DAC w/ line out - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 02:53 PM   #31
magreen is offline magreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Still nothing. 17track has no new information. 7.5 weeks now since it was shipped (my math skills have improved since last week).
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:19 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

It came! It came! it came! it came!

Haven't had a chance to do too much side by side listening yet. But I can tell you one thing that's hugely improved. The horrible sound I can only describe as "beadiness" from the dell sound card is gone. It would come up whenever there was exposed french horn and sometimes in piano parts as well. Sounded like when you shake a burnt out light bulb next to your ear. Well, it's gone!

Haven't had too much chance to compare it with my Denon cd player yet. But so far so good!
Old 24th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #33
dr0ss is offline dr0ss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magreen View Post
But I can tell you one thing that's hugely improved. The horrible sound I can only describe as "beadiness" from the dell sound card is gone.
Any decent external sound card should have fixed this.

I haven't listened to Epicure speakers in quite a while, but if yours are vintage and in good repair then they are hard to beat for sheer listenability of vocals and acoustic string instruments. The difference between your computer sound card and your new DAC should be apparent with this kind of music through your Epis. (I suggest a female singer with a complex and relatively low voice. Or a cello.) Through your Grados too, for that matter.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:44 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0ss View Post
Any decent external sound card should have fixed this.

I haven't listened to Epicure speakers in quite a while, but if yours are vintage and in good repair then they are hard to beat for sheer listenability of vocals and acoustic string instruments. The difference between your computer sound card and your new DAC should be apparent with this kind of music through your Epis. (I suggest a female singer with a complex and relatively low voice. Or a cello.) Through your Grados too, for that matter.
Thanks dr0ss. Will do. (With all the family in town for Thanksgiving I haven't had much chance to sit and listen to this thing! But sure am looking forward to it.)
Old 11th March 2013, 06:08 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Just want to say thank you to everybody for the hifimediy recommendation. I've been enjoying listening to it immensely these past months. I never got up the initiative to do side-by-side listening tests or any of that stuff -- I've just been enjoying the music too much. It sounds great through my EPIs (w/ Energy e:XL S8 subwoofer).

Thanks very much to all!

Hide this!Advertise here!