very budget USB DAC w/ line out - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Pemo is offline Pemo  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magreen View Post
Thanks very much for the helpful suggestions. Hmmm, this clouds things a bit for me -- it's not clear to me which I should go with.

Do you think these options provide better sound than the Hifimediy recommended above? I do see that they cost less, for the most part. Though I saw people in the Hifimediy thread linked above saying it (the Hifimediy) blows away the various 2704 DACs on the market ("Definately a HUGE step up from cheap PCM 2704-based $ 20 USB DACS that flood the market."). Do you have an opinion one way or the other?

Thanks very much for your contribution to my knowledge of this!
Well, TE 7022 is a new chip, it is a 24/96. The first time for a USB.
All the others (2704) are 16/44.1. They are OK. there are of course differences between them, sonic and quality.

I like them all. Some sound better to me, some to my wife .

I don´t have equipment to measure the quality of any of these, but they do the job.

RGDS

PEMO
Old 28th September 2012, 01:27 PM   #12
magreen is offline magreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for your insights, Pemo. I appreciate the help. Those seem like good suggestions.

In the end, I have decided to go with the Hifimediy, because people's reviews of it have been overwhelmingly positive and fairly unanimous! Can't wait for it to get here.

Thanks again, everybody, your guidance and recommendations. And thanks to you, syklab, for the great tip on the Hifimediy.

I'll try to post back when I have it and will share my impressions.
Old 28th September 2012, 01:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think you'll be happy with it. I wouln't hesitate to get one of the wolfson DACs either.

I have both the 2704-based DACs listed in this thread, and I find the HifiMeDiy to be way better.

The HifiMeDiy and the Wolfsons with the TE7022 are also high-res (24/96) compatible, which is nice for the future (more audio is released in 24/48 or 24/96 every year, so this is a clear trend)

Please have a look at my mods in the other thread. Cleaning the PCB is recommended as a minimum (at least if you have as much residue as I had on mine).
Old 28th September 2012, 03:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much! By the way, in your recommendation for cleaning the PCM, do you have a recommendation for a good alcohol based electronics cleaner, or what I should look for? All I have is DeoxIT red and green (which I used to great effect to fix the H/K receiver for my other stereo system) but I don't think those are alcohol based, right?

Thanks!
Old 10th October 2012, 07:38 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I bought the Muse with 4x TDA1543. VERY nice . I've been comparing it with my OPPO BDP93 blue ray player. I haven't listened it too critically but it appears to be as good if not better in some aspects !
Recommend it to anyone who wants a good dac without spending too much. You will need a good volume pot between this and a good power amp. All that you need.
For low budget systems this dac with a ( well implemented !) LM1875 or other chip amp will be hard to beat unless you probably spend 10 times more.

I have another CS4344 Muse which didn't sound as good ( when it worked!).

I use Amyl Acetate or TCE ( Tri Chloro Ethylene) to clean the pcb.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
I use Amyl Acetate or TCE ( Tri Chloro Ethylene) to clean the pcb.
Thanks for the tip. Will look into that if the PCB seems dirty.

Meanwhile, still waiting for the hifimediy to arrive. Can't wait to give it a listen!
Old 29th October 2012, 01:02 AM   #17
dr0ss is offline dr0ss  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought one of these last summer just to satisfy my curiosity; it seemed like an amazing value, and there were no reviews of them I could find at the time. I've been using it recently as a USB sound card while traveling. It is OK, better to my ears than my laptop's native sound, though I probably wouldn't use it in a high-end system. Long term I will probably stick it into one of my vintage tube radios.
Old 29th October 2012, 01:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

still waiting for it to arrive...

meanwhile just enjoying that lovely Dell laptop sound
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

When did you order, and how did it ship?

I ordered a while ago, when they were shut down for holiday.

Mine shipped as soon as the holiday was over, via Swiss post, and I got it about a week ago.

Randy
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Randy

I ordered it on 9/27/12. It shipped via China Post on 9/30/12.
Haven't heard anything since.

When I input the tracking number into the China Post website, it just says it was shipped on 9/30 or something like that (the China Post website is down right now, as usual, so I can't view the tracking info right now. It says Internal Server Error when I try.)

I was hoping that I got my order in just before their holiday.

Hide this!Advertise here!