Help me pick a DAC kit - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 04:54 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the SMSL SD-793II is sensible to the quality of the digital signal.

I did spend the day modifying a Philips CD723 cd player to improve
its digital output quality. And it works, I get a better sound than with the walkman
everything is better, a real pleasure !

Jerome
Old 9th February 2013, 04:31 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I did post (in french)
a short review of the original SMSL SD-793II,
a test of a few modern opamps,
some mods with capacitors,
with pictures showing clearly what has been done.

here

Jerome
Old 9th February 2013, 05:05 PM   #23
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

If you look on eBay, there are DAC kits and assembled using just about every DAC chip made. Great prices, direct from China and they work very well. I got the one with the AD1955 and all descrete parts (not surface mount). Very recommended. -Richard
Old 28th April 2013, 09:03 PM   #24
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Can recommend this one. I have the 50 dollar simpler version of the same brand and it sounds cleaner than my Lynx L22.

Here is a Swedish guy who did some comparisons. Just google translate it. It plays "veeeery similar" to the Cambridge DACmagic. It had some jitter using .flac files played from a blueray player, but no jitter when using .flac files from flash cards. The player had trouble keeping up reading from the DVD. But not on the Cambridge device. Strange problem.

Worked best on USB, he writes. It has an older optical chip. But the optical sounded good. The coaxial input was worse.

My theory is that these newer dac chips are better than the older Lynx cards because DAC chips have evolved so much recently. SMSL has chosen very nice DAC chips, I think. The Swedish guy exchanged some opamps - an easy procedure sine it is just to pull the opamp out and replace it with what you like.

On my 50 dollar DAC I had a problem with the lights in my room blinking and I got a small shock from touching the device. I contacted the salesman and I am getting a new adapter free of charge. Those power adapter are probably worth replacing with a known brand.

There was a luxury version with a built in thoroidal power supply for 220 dollars. Might be worth looking at. I am very impressed so far with my simpler SMSL DAC, so when I have some extra cash I might buy the bigger version.

Link to the Swedish guys tests:
SM2YER Goran's Homepage

Hide this!Advertise here!