Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been too long since I had the original uae23, but my new savitech non-asynch version arrived and it sounds even better than I remember the other sounding. My ultrasone 550 treble is slightly less harsh. It's also nice to be able to use a real asio driver in jriver instead of wasapi like some kind of peasant ;)

It's been too long since I had the original uae23, but my new savitech non-asynch version arrived and it sounds even better than I remember the other sounding. My ultrasone 550 treble is slightly less harsh. It's also nice to be able to use a real asio driver in jriver instead of wasapi like some kind of peasant ;)

Thanks for sharing that! I think I'm going to roll with the savitech non-asynch as well.

It's been too long since I had the original uae23, but my new savitech non-asynch version arrived and it sounds even better than I remember the other sounding. My ultrasone 550 treble is slightly less harsh. ...

I haven't seen the newer SA9023 units, but check out my posting in this thread about the BG-PK mods to the UAE23 v1.1 - it tames the treble harshness, to the point of making it too smooth. If the mods are able to physically fit in the Savitech units, they may make a similar difference there.

My recommended hi-res test track is Eugene Bozza's Children's Overture, downloadable legally for free here at various resolutions (2-channel 24/96 flac is just fine):

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

UAE23 V1.3A

Hello
I bought the last version of UA23 sabre dac.

I have some questions for you, who have made some experiments and tweaking this little pcb.

After qick check and meauserement, the power suply comes from lt1736 regulator with 3,6V output....
This is good for ES9023 but it is not to high for TE7022 VCC3,3V ???... internal ldo1,8v gives 1,9v output what is not problem.
What kind of capacitors are that aluminium capacitors 10Uf EK4... ? I have a lot of material to change it...OSCONS, SILMICS MUSES, PPS, FINEGOLD
What is the best output RC combination... her is 0ohm and 680pF to ground....
SUBBu dac has 0 ohm 4700pF ...ODAC has 220R...2200pf... What are you suggesting?
After listening i think sound is a little to bright and bass is solid but not so powerfull.
Suggestion about NEG capacitor at es9023 .... now it is 1uf x7r
AVCC 3,6V supply ...now it is 10UF aluminium cap
VREG capacitors are 1uf and 130kohm resistor

I have thinking about, to put that dac into CM6631 usb to spdif converter from ebay...
24 192 24 96 CM6631 USB to Coax Opt SPDIF Convertor for DAC PCM270X Killer | eBay

Is it enough that i just connect SCLK, LRCLK, MCLK, SDATA and ground output from CM6631 to ES9023 with 4 small coax cables???
I have made some different power supplies....
Lt1936 regulator, teddypardo regulator, shunt sallas to experiment with...and will be good to have it in one case...
Thank you for constructive answers.... i will post some pictures at the end if sound will be promissed. :)))

Davorin

the power suply comes from lt1736 regulator with 3,6V output....
This is good for ES9023 but it is not to high for TE7022 VCC3,3V ???... internal ldo1,8v gives 1,9v output what is not problem.
Appears to be OK for the TE7022 also - I've run it for 4-5 hours continuously
without hiccups.

What kind of capacitors are that aluminium capacitors 10Uf EK4... ? I have a lot of material to change it...OSCONS, SILMICS MUSES, PPS, FINEGOLD
EK4 is probably ROE (Vishay-Roederstein). Mine came with 10 uF/10V Oscons at all three locations.

For the LT1763 3.6V output bypass, I recommend Black Gate PK 220uF/4V.
For the pin 6 bypass to ground of the ES9023, I recommend Black Gate PK 4.7uF.
For the TE7022 digital bypass, use an Oscon 10uF/10V (was default in mine).

For the charge pump VNEG output to ground bypass, I recommend adding a Black Gate PK 4.7uF. In case you have a version with the 10uF/10V Oscon as the LT1763 output bypass, you can harvest it and use it for the VNEG bypass instead. You may also leave the 10uF/10V Oscon on VREG (pin 6) unchanged. This works out more practical because BG-PK 220uF/4V is still available, but all the 4.7uF BG-PKs are unobtainium.

What is the best output RC combination... her is 0ohm and 680pF to ground....
SUBBu dac has 0 ohm 4700pF ...ODAC has 220R...2200pf... What are you suggesting?
The output cap was 6.8 nF (6800pF) Wima FKP2 to ground. I like ERO KP1830 at that location, but YMMV. ERO KP1834 or 1835 polystyrene film/foil are also worth trying.
I went with 5.6nF/63V/2.5%, somewhere between 4.7nF on the Subbu DAC and 6.8nF default.

After listening i think sound is a little to bright and bass is solid but not so powerfull.
Suggestion about NEG capacitor at es9023 .... now it is 1uf x7r
AVCC 3,6V supply ...now it is 10UF aluminium cap
VREG capacitors are 1uf and 130kohm resistor

Yes, it was bright with the Oscon bypass for the LT1763 and without R3 on VREG. With BG-PK on LT1763 and R3=120k || 4.7uF BG-PK at VREG it is dark, deep, full-bodied and laid-back - it completely outclasses the ODAC with the BG mods, which was not the case with the stock UAE23. I have auditioned it with both a Dared VP-845B SET amp driving Cadence Arista electrostatics, as well as an Ocean Bravo tube-buffered headphone amp driving Audio Technica open cans. The modded UAE23 wins on almost all audible sonics, except micro-detail, where the ODAC had a slight edge. Even this may go away once the BG-PKs run in about 100 hours (they had less than 2 hours when auditioned).

I also bypassed the charge-pump 1uF ceramic with 47nF X7R, but that is unnecessary if the 1uF is already X7R. PPS would be better here, but it won't fit in the 0805 space. A 1206 47nF/16V Panasonic ECHU SMD PPS can be kludged in parallel with the 1uF 0805 ceramic with large blobs of solder, but I decided not to make it ugly.

I have thinking about, to put that dac into CM6631 usb to spdif converter from ebay...

My suggestion: just get the plain ES9023 board for use with the CM6631, don't hack this one for external I2S input, etc.

Last edited:
Which one is non-asynch savitech? Could not find such on their site, only async one. Direct link will be appreciated.

Hi McDark, please try to this page HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

Sorry my last post is wrong, it should be HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Digital to Audio Converter 96khz/24bit (incl USB to optical converter feature)
You can choose the USB receiver, Tenor or Savitech. Savitech support sampling rate 32khz,44.1khz, 48khz, 88khz and 96khz.
Tenor 32khz, 44.1khz, 48khz, 96khz--> no support 88khz.

I open this little Asynchronous DAC, please see the attachment below. The cover not so good. Thin plastic, looks so cheap. It use Elna & Wima capacitor. The PCB also not so good.

I dont know with my notebook, Win 7 32 bit OS, when I change the bit depth settings either16bit or 24 bit with combination sample rates 32khz to 96khz, I cannot hear the differences. Any suggestion whats wrong with my DAC?
I borrow my friend 24/96 DAC, and when I change the sample rates, I can hear the differences. But the sound is better than my friend DAC IMHO, at the same price level.

But the quality of the sound is very good at the price. I have used +- 8 hours, I can hear the musical instrument sound more details, like guitar struming, cymbal more ringing, bass more tight.

Sorry for OT, tonight I open Hifimediy site, there is a new DAC, only $2 difference with Async but looks like promising with optical and coax input Hifimediy DAA1853 dac Not ready in the market, but I think it will be available soon. I dont have any affiliation with hifimediy. Just as a buyer

I dont know what is the 'DIY' means with this hifimeDIY DAC.
where is the 'DIY' ?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 687
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Even the baby usb version of ifimediys dacs for cost £19 is wrestling with the orginal Fiio D3 which uses a wolfoson chip fiio....Sabre chips are much more dynamic and puchy have no lack of aglity & detail but the Fiio seems a little warmer and less setrile in some ways more vavle like.

I got the smaller of the two running at the moment the andriod micro usb one... also purchased the diy 24/192 dac card waiting for the power isolator which is another mini board to go between the mac and the ancycronous unit with I2s 5 pin connection (pic of the CM6631 192KHZ/32bit unit > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181179016827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648 on it's way below from china on ebay £30 ) . It's for my destop set up.

The dac card is smaller than the cmoy board JDS labs sent me with incidently is regarded highly than the 02 headphone ampI wouldn't bother with the 02 Dac because I don't think there will be a huge difference except in cost simplicity always works best.

mac>usb isolator>Ansycronous Unit>optical/coax/IS2 to the diy board thats going in a tin with a 9 volt battery like the cmoy or a compact housing size of the peactree X1. Even my orginal Fiio D3 24/192 is powered by a rechargable powergen battery pack now days.I have all this hooked up to a 2020 tripath mini amplifier moded soundscience speakers and for bass fill some small cambridge audio minx's stacked on top of the soundsciences the who set up takes destop speakers to the limit.

Id say hifimediy are really giving people good deal for the money and I'd give them a huge recommendation.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.