Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Es9023 Philipines

My Qty 2 ES9023 from this vendor showed up when I ordered [takes a WHILE to USA], I have not proven they work, however. The auction has been renewed, if they were fakes...they would not last long in business? I have them soldered to SMD/SOIC fanout prototyping boards with most of the support parts also mounted.
Here in the USA, Tom, you can get QTy 10 samples at $60 shipped from Shaw, the USA distributer for ESS. You have the tech PDF data sheet right? Or email me for it. And look up the Bragi DAC design, the second variation uses just the IL715 {the wider one} I2S isolator and a asynch mode operation, a fixed MCK of 50.000 MHz to the ES9023. 5V LT1763, and 3x slaved Lt1761 at 3.3 though I would go 3.6 for the DAC, maybe Micrel 5205 at 3.6 [Digikey]. I am not an engineer but as YOU know, a great PCB layout makes life easier, and superb PSU design brings out the best, as does low jitter clocks//TCXO.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with the next step, I am almost there, but it would be nice if it were all on one PCB. As you know, HifimeDIY has the UAE23+ USB-isolator IN, then TE7022 and ES9023, maybe in V2 of that they could add I2S input pads or, yah, the CM6631 or CM6631A. [off topic, there IS a CM6631//cs4398 with headphone buffer and ALU case on eBay]. I have owned TE7022/cs4398 and it does not have the wonderful sound the UAE23 does -- <insert shameless plug> after I have modded it. I have perused many ES9023 designs by now, but not everyone is blazing new trails or testing the best values to use [and don't rely on ESS for that, HAH}. I would love to hear a 50Mhz Asynch ES9023 config compared with SYnchronous dual ***** CM6631 or CM6631A feeding ES9023, or, both. The Vreg pin on ES9023 PIn#6... placing a POT on there and fixed R in series too [So POT can't short the pin] is high on my list. [Pretty easy inside the UAE23]. I would LOVE to test 12.000Mhz TCXO [one of my UAE23 TE7022 stage mods] *and* a good 50.000Mhz oscillator on the ES9023 MCK pin, which is NOT easy in UAE23 [not that it's a fault]. And regulators for DAC, and the 2 clocks. Ferrite beads on the clock{s} V+ leads...

I do not know if Shaw will ship to HK for you, the ebay QTy1 price you linked to, if they work, is pretty good.

Greetings from snowy Madison, Wisconsin USA

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy just the ES9023 IC ? I've seen an ad on EBay - is that legit ?

ESS ES9023 Sabre DAC | eBay

I don't want to use a device with Tenor receiver. The CM6631 is much better. Or maybe Hifimediy can design a a CM6631 + Isolator (like iso7240m) + reclocker ( like Ti SN74AUP1G79DBR) and ES9023 ?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy just the ES9023 IC ? I've seen an ad on EBay - is that legit ?

ESS ES9023 Sabre DAC | eBay

I don't want to use a device with Tenor receiver. The CM6631 is much better. Or maybe Hifimediy can design a a CM6631 + Isolator (like iso7240m) + reclocker ( like Ti SN74AUP1G79DBR) and ES9023 ?

Hi, you can buy from that seller , it is reliable, I have also bought 1 pcs. of ES9023 from him and is working very well in my modified bragi board where I can feed it async with 50 Mhz or direct from I2S inputs via a jumper, take a look - in that case, of synch MCK, the local 50 Mhz txco will be cut from it's local 3,3 Vcc which derivates also from the central stabilized 5v via a jumper (ferrite)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I found the ES9023 chip to cost only 2,5 euro (VAT included) in the local europe official distributor of ESS , a company named ISMOSYS

my next candidate is the cheap PCM5102 (same price range like the 9023) which I heard to be more warm, analogue like, and don't even need MCK, it can generate it's own local internal MCK from the rest of the I2S inputs so that eliminates a "jiterry" problem

Last edited:
You guys love this chip eh ? Thanks for the help ! I emailed the Ebay seller and he says he sourced his parts from the distributor in Taiwan, and he has used them himself so he's sure they're genuine. So I ordered one. I plan to try the PCM5102A also. However, I just got an AK4399 pcb + IC so I'm going to build that first.

Is anyone selling pcbs for either of these chips ?

Thanks,

Tom

You guys love this chip eh ? Thanks for the help ! I emailed the Ebay seller and he says he sourced his parts from the distributor in Taiwan, and he has used them himself so he's sure they're genuine. So I ordered one. I plan to try the PCM5102A also. However, I just got an AK4399 pcb + IC so I'm going to build that first.

Is anyone selling pcbs for either of these chips ?

Thanks,

Tom

I know xen-audio (contact EUVL on this forum) has PCBs that they will make up for both the 9023 and 5102 chips, they really love both of them, especially when paired with the Joachim Gerhard jfet filter buffer (I've just got all the parts together for my filter but yet to build mine). Their DAC PCBs aren't publicly detailed in fully anywhere AFAIK but if you contact EUVL he'll advise prices and details I'm sure.

You could try the PCM5102A on these: Q N K T C USB-I2S Module and Analog Board

You don't need to use their USB module but just wire your preferred i2s source in to the header positions, should work just fine.

Those boards also have some pretty neat low noise regulator circuits that are ideal for clocks and digital circuits, they're there specifically for prototyping and experiments. I have an earlier one of those, the QNKTC AB1.1 with the 9023 and it is pretty nice for a all usb powered DAC. My wife uses it now, I prefer my Acko AKD23P mkII with WaveIO input (soon to be Ian's FIFO) - though mine is obviously has a few more expensive parts around it and is pretty overkill for a relatively cheap DAC chip.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris. The dev boards look great but total overkill, and really big too, so I'll contact Patrick.

Here's shots of the AK4399 if anyone's curious.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyway, back to building the 9018 ;-) Er, I mean work. Ahem.

for the pcm5102 another readily made option is this :

Musiland Monitor 01 US, USB sound card, USB2.0, ASIO | eBay

they are also USB-I2S asynchronous devices and they have PCM5102 soldered in (zoom on the 3-rd image) + headphome amp + optical out + ASIO drivers, and they are pretty cheap judging that you gat the full package with enclosure and all the stuff

I remember GLT on hifiduino made a lot of reviews to these boards

one worthwile modification though would be to put PCM5102 in a custom filter mode (via a hardware pin to VCC) like explained here in this review where comparison about 2 DAC's is made, one with ES9023 and one with PCM5102

"The PCM5102 – according to its datasheet – has an option of two filters. I use the low latency, minimum phase filter option. One of the characteristics of this filter is that it has no pre-ringing and therefore no time-smear. I believe this is one of the reasons why non oversampling DACs sound as they do – more realistic! "

Digital Audio Review by John Darko John Kenny JKDAC32 review (M2Tech Hiface + PCM5102 + LiFePO4)

Thank you enjoybiking for your help . I tried everything , i even bought a Lenovo X41 like our forum companion micil did no way . I found out that it works instantly on AMD machines and fails at Intel ones so i think there is a problem with my unit but Hifimediy would not accept its return by now after more than a deceveing month . Now im looking for a Turion mobile to end with this problem .

Makes no sense.

Thank you enjoybiking for your help . I tried everything , i even bought a Lenovo X41 like our forum companion micil did no way . I found out that it works instantly on AMD machines and fails at Intel ones so i think there is a problem with my unit but Hifimediy would not accept its return by now after more than a deceveing month . Now im looking for a Turion mobile to end with this problem .

Not meaning to offend you but it makes no sense. Unless you have some crippled version of WIndows 7. The UAE23 and anything using TE7022 {ala ODAC} should work with a very wide range of systems, Intel for sure, and Windows, Linux, and OS X. For making a NICE economical DAC {selling for under $50 USD} HifiDIY made a great choice! If your DAC works on ANY system it probably is healthy. If you are busy reloading... maybe try Linux? I don't know which is best; I do not use Linux -- watch out, a discussion about the best Linux might get worse than who has the best DAC HAH!! You may even be able to use a Linux LIVE BOOT CD and play music that way, from FLAC on a USB drive? If that works... I am not an expert but I believe later versions of Linux will have native USB class 2 support and Kernel streaming... purely for playing audio, it might actually be better than windows?

I posted links to 3 sets of drivers, but WIndows 7 should be able to play through your UAE23... maybe not as well. I have never used a TE7022 USB receiver on a NON-Intel system. I have Many Intel, even my Macs.

UAE23 drops out, Windows 8

First time i used it was at Windows 8 64bit on Supermicro 7XDCAL and it worked at least 3 minutes for a song and never more . Now i have USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Hardware Id . Its L7022 failure i think .

It would be interesting to know if it works on one of your systems uninterrupted and flawlessly, or, not? Clearly it could be a thermal intermittent but I should think NOT CPU dependent. I would be tempted to pop the cover on the DAC and place some test-point wires. If you were close by I'd trade DACs with you. I like a good puzzle. Do try a Linux Live CD if you CAn...see if you can play FLAC and if it drops out or plays a whole album or playlist. I also run my UAE23 units from USB isolators so they always get external power. If you have a setup that WILL play the UAE23 without failures, probably you hae other problems. If it is the DAC assy, well, there are alternatives ODAC PCB only at around $100 USD, the QNKTC
AB-1.2 USB DAC $135USD shipped with case.

you start to see, the UAE23 is a pretty good value. A similarly priced worse DAC with PCM 2707 or whatever TI USB receiver is priced about the same?

Have you proven the DAC always dies? Or can it work good with Linux say Ubuntu LIVE! CD? Tried on an Apple OS X system yet? Loan to a friend?

Yes it works flawlessly at an AMD nforce DFI Lanparty NF3 Ultra , and at an old VIA C3 netbook , no cable problem. I checked Ubuntu 12.1 too . Im not saying its not a good deal in fact it sounds really good and i will mod it with a good TCXO when i settle this .

I would not be surprised if the problem were substandard driver implementation on the Microsoft side.

The real test is to do exactly enjoybiking suggested and fire up a Linux distro from a live boot USB stick on the computer that is giving you trouble. If it still doesn't work on that computer then it isn't the OS. I'll recommend Linux Mint MATE. Download ISO, burn ISO to DVD, set your BIOS to boot from CD, go. You may get a command line interface when you start up. In this case I think you just type "live boot", "livecd" or something like that. Mint is stable and has a familiar look and feel to anyone that has used XP (i.e. everyone). I have used Ubuntu with this DAC (Mate is the Ubuntu kernel wearing different clothes). You'll need to go into the sound prefs and set it to use the USB device instead of onboard sound. This test should be pretty definitive and really easy to carry out.

<rant>I am a computer scientist and do have to deal with Microsoft products from time to time. Their products stink. Bad. Just because they are big, and everybody uses their products doesn't mean squat. Wal-Mart is big too but it isn't were you go when you are thinking quality and reliability. Where I work we all agree. MS products are a mess and are responsible for all sorts of problems that could have been avoided (and have been avoided in other OSes). I could go on but I won't. Point being that if the problem is due to a crappy MS driver or with Windows kernel doing something weird, then it is no surprise. There should be no difference difference between AMD and Intel. They share the same general instruction set (i.e. language). If someone did leverage part of the extensions available on only one processor family or another then I would expect the USB device to fail on all processors like the one in question here and that clearly isn't happening.</rant>

USB woes

Yes it works flawlessly at an AMD nforce DFI Lanparty NF3 Ultra , and at an old VIA C3 netbook , no cable problem. I checked Ubuntu 12.1 too . Im not saying its not a good deal in fact it sounds really good and i will mod it with a good TCXO when i settle this .

Usually the other way around, but, have your tried a PCI plugin-in USB card? Possibly based on the NEC PD720101 chipset? It sounds like your SuperMicro motherboard is nice but less of a consumer item. [I have a Dell Precision 690 like it].

As you may have read, I ended up with a FOX 924b 12.0MHz TCXO. The NEXT MOD I will be trying is running the MCK aysnch at 50.000MHz -- it seems I can get at the MCK trace top-side to cut it and scrape the ES9023 side of it [NO COFFEE B4 you try this]. Adding a third or fourth regulator ON the UAE23 is not going to be fun -- possibly married to the upside down Fox clock. The clock I chose to try is Digikey's 631-1197-1-ND it can be confusing looking up the clock by FXO-HC736R-50 $1.51USD I hope it works. For the first TCXO I shared the TE7022's regulator, then added a dedicated 3.3 for the DAC. [all I had on hand]. I have also 75Mhz Osc{s} coming, that may be a stretch for MCK on this DAC, I have not met anyone who has tried it. I have Epson and Fox models coming.

UAE23 MODS Guide {proposed}

Would you mind posting a little "How to" guide later?
I can see quite a few posts in the thread mention pretty interesting mods but unless one is an experienced audio EE, it is rather difficult to replicate them from the very limited detail provided.

I have to streamline how I get pictures in from my digital cam, for the words alone would not suffice.

Adding a 12.000 Mhz TCXO, Revision 0.9. Acquire Fox 924b TCXO
FOX924B-12.000 aka Digikey 631-1068-1-ND. You'll probably want to have some wire-wrap wire 30Ga Kynar with a good wire-wrap wire stripper since you will need to strip oh 1mm or 2-3mm and tin it then trim it back. I wired the clock upside down so the pads are visible [print out the datasheet pinout!!]. carefully remove the 12.000 Mhz crystal, it has the 2 leads, one towards outside edge of the board one more inboard. The inboard crystal hole goes to PIN#37 "XI" on the TE7022. Attach Fox 924B's clock output to the more inboard {long-wise} crystal hole. GND for the clock is easy to find, and +3.3 comes from a spot in the center of the board on the solder-side. Traces leave a + cap lead there like a star. SO this paragraph describes how to JUST replace the crystal with a good TCXO, nothing more. Wire-wrap wire is pretty much a staple in this mod. Doing JUST this mod means you are using the same 3.3V for the TE7022, the ES9023, AND the oscillator, which is not ideal.

I did the above while also adding a separate regulator for the DAC [so oscillator and TE7022 till sharing a Vreg] , and a resistor on the Vreg pin #6 of the DAC to ground. Google ODAC yoyodyne and scroll down you can see the ODAC schematic there...they use 118K to ground off DAC pin 6 [there are pads on the UAE23 for an SMD R but they are not in use]. You need SMD, 080# size maybe oh, some value below 220K at 3.3V DAC or below 133K 3.6V DAC [UAE23 has it running at 3.3 stock]. I used 100K at 3.3VDAC and am happy with the result. Pads are tiny, someday I will try a POT with fixed series R spanning those pads ES9023 Pin 6 to ground. Maybe 50K fixed in series with 200K POT wired as a variable R [both not on the board] and get out to them with wire-wrap wire [soldered] or some micro shielded wire like TwinAx. There are various places to add regulators on the board, none of them fun. I have thought about physically stacking them, qty 2 might just work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.