Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rs and Cs

j ask the question to hifimediy, they told me :

"You could add an external potmeter to reduce the gain. Or a single resistor. Or install a resistor R3 on the DAC. The value needed is not mentioned in es9023 datasheet, so you would have to experiment to find a good value."

ODAC uses 220Ohms series then 2200pF to ground on the outs I believe.
On thread I read, a guy used 1k each leg and loves it, I'd probably stay closer to the proven ODAC, maybe 220 or 470... I am also fooling with the Vreg pin #6 on es9023 [Ess says ~10uF and have the 2 graphs on pg 10 of the design PDF for value of parallel R to ground depending on Vcc used for the DAC 3.6 vs 3.3. ODAC uses 118K and 22uF -> I am trying 100K and 10.1uF because I had a SMD R around that value to try [stock UAE23 seems not to have an R to ground off pin #6 I could be wrong, but it seems not.]

postman just brought UAE23+ :)
It's a nice little box. Not hifimediy production anymore but Hifime Audio Studio. A new brand ;)

UAE23 looked like a toy. + version looks like a commercial dac, nicely finished in metal box.

In my mayuseoneday box , i found a suitable 9Vdc powerplug :)
Dac was immediately recognized by my laptop running windows 7 as "DAC Hifimediy (Sabre+ 24/96)", same as previous. I use default windows driver.

UAE23+ sounds very nice. ES9023 sound is there. To my ears, it's hard to hear a difference with the non-isolated version. Difference must be tiny, especially if no grounding issue existed with USB. I'll measure them both later and see if I can find a difference.

Isolation

Maybe you have less noise to start with? Having used fiber USB isolators, everyone in my family I give one to is happy. Silent regions are more quiet it seems. I live in a city, when I walk outside, there is a "city noise", I don't notice it but if it were gone, I might.

I'm pleased HifimeDIY added USB isolation; nobody has that feature at any where near this price-point. And as a DIY nut, the 23+ should be easier to MOD into something even nicer. The flexible range of power sources...more space... RCA jacks... a external power jack that can take AC or DC sources...

postman just brought UAE23+ :)
It's a nice little box. Not hifimediy production anymore but Hifime Audio Studio. A new brand ;)

UAE23 looked like a toy. + version looks like a commercial dac, nicely finished in metal box.

In my mayuseoneday box , i found a suitable 9Vdc powerplug :)
Dac was immediately recognized by my laptop running windows 7 as "DAC Hifimediy (Sabre+ 24/96)", same as previous. I use default windows driver.

UAE23+ sounds very nice. ES9023 sound is there. To my ears, it's hard to hear a difference with the non-isolated version. Difference must be tiny, especially if no grounding issue existed with USB. I'll measure them both later and see if I can find a difference.

First impressions

Received this Dac in exactly one week, quit fast from China to Holland. It is the new + version, so I can try it also as a usb to spdif converter.

I play my music from an Imac. The Dac is recognized immediately as a Sabre 24/96 device.
For playback I use Bitperfect, a software utility for better audio output. Bitperfect has the opportunity for upsampling to 96 kHz. I was surprised that upsampling did not improve the output-sound. To much bass. So I turned it off and now I am quit happy with the overall sound.

I still have to compare it with my HK-dac, which lacks the usb input. And try it as a usb-spdif converter through the HK-dac. So lots of possibilities to try. And many hours to come with listening. Will be continued.

Where can I get this special version ? SPDIF to USB is exactly what I´m
looking for. The hifimediy.com website states "Optical input to USB" but
where would the optical input be ? Can´t see it on the photos provided.

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter
-Usb to optical converter. Outputs optical signal if you connect a 3.5mm optical cable in place of a 3.5mm audio cable. Can be useful for connecting your computer to another DAC without usb input.
-Optical input to USB. - This can be used to record a digital optical signal on your computer through USB. Note that the optical input signal can not be routed to audio (analog) out on this DAC.

The allusion to optical input may have been a slight mistake; the TE7022 can take the input but I think the standard UAE23 OUTputs optical, not like the outdated picture on the site, but right behind the upgraded UAE23 3.5mm "Walkman" port is a red LED emitter -- being only a 2-lead device I doubt the stock vanilla UAE23 could input SPDIF from the optical arrangement it has. They MAY have input circuitry hiding in there they can mod for special customers. My guess.

enjoybiking, you are correct:

I asked HiFimeDIY directly and got this answer:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers. I have updated /removed the reference to optical in, but as we have this listed on several sites, there might some places where this information is still present. I apologize for any misinformation about this."

So it seems there is no optical in -> USB.

It´s nevertheless still an interesting product, especially for the price asked.

Does anybody know of a similar product that has digital in and out to USB ?
I own a DAC, an RME ADI-2, where A/D and D/A are independent and can be used at the same time (24bit, 192kHz). This
is connected to a RME Digi96, a PCI card with digital I/O (24bit 96kHz). What I want to achieve is the same
thing over USB (maybe with 192kHz capability if possible), so I can use a Laptop instead of the old PC with PCI slots.

Last edited:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers...[...CUT...]

To be fair I think that a optical in would be much more useful. There are a lot of cheap dvd/bluray player with awful dac converter and optical output

Last edited:
Toslink to USB

The USB receiver IC WILL accept a SPDIF stream and send it to the PC, but you would have to modify things. I have never done this.

http://www.gfec.com.tw/c/document_l...198-3aae-4cb6-801d-3489fd0804cd&groupId=19499

is the TE7022L datasheet location.

I am not positive what you want to do, but old Mac Pro towers are very cheap [at least in USA] and have dedicated Toslink in and out ports, great for capturing old DAT recordings [so are the newer Macs]. Where I live we're lucky to be able to sell off an old G5 Mac for over $100USD if that. They can run Audacity, and OS 10.5.8.

As to the UAE23 family, it would be pretty easy to get some geniuses together here... to MOD the thing. I suspect there are a few pads and traces that go to the pin 33 of the TE7022L on the PCB, if not it would be difficult. Mine are not handy here at the dining table but I will look later. [seek out un-used pad or trace that goes to TE7022L pin 33] Regular coaxial SPDIF is probably easier to MOD in, just a guess. HifimeDIY could also release the information; there is nothing in their DAC that is any trade secret.
I have reverse engineered the parts *I* care about.

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers. I have updated /removed the reference to optical in, but as we have this listed on several sites, there might some places where this information is still present. I apologize for any misinformation about this."

I own a DAC, an RME ADI-2, where A/D and D/A are independent and can be used at the same time (24bit, 192kHz). This
is connected to a RME Digi96, a PCI card with digital I/O (24bit 96kHz). What I want to achieve is the same
thing over USB (maybe with 192kHz capability if possible), so I can use a Laptop instead of the old PC with PCI slots.

How to jump SPDIF signal on UAE23

Hi, consider different using of SPD signal, we have some pads/parts on board which show below. Just use some 22ohm 0805 resistors to jump the signal path you need. :)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 776
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 759
Where can I get this special version ? SPDIF to USB is exactly what I´m
looking for. The hifimediy.com website states "Optical input to USB" but
where would the optical input be ? Can´t see it on the photos provided.

Hi, about SPDIF direction, I talked to Steinar before and we think that optical output may be more useful (to output non-audio signal like AC3). But our pcb design also include pads for optical input sensor. So if you need a OPT to PC version, we also can specially make some (use input sensor instead of red LED). Please just contact Steinar on hifimediy.com for order.

There ARE quite a few people who need a way to get old MD and DAT audio back into the PC [I am just commenting not arm-twisting, hah, I do plenty of that too]. I suspect one could couple copper SPDIF to that pin [pad] with a transformer, or, Lampizator-style: 75ohm resistor to center of coax to a DIY SPDIF-IN RCA? Possibly easier with UAE23+ if it too has artwork to TE7022L pin 33. I have a UAE23 in a metal box, easy for ME -- but no need. Now with a bit of creative soldering you CAN have the optical OUT working same time as feeding two RCA audio jacks left/right audio, with the DAC just about stock.

UAE23+

Hello,

bought this little thing (UAE23+) as a recommendation from my friend. Came from Belgium to Slovenia in 5-6 days... Used with Foobar 2000 and wasapi, Rotel amp and Jamo E825 speakers with Jamo D4 subwoofer but I'm having a problem :) bass is absolutely awesome and very strong. I cannot use my subwoofer anymore :D there is no need for that...

Im am really sad and confused because i'm struggling with a Code 43 error ( USB device not recognised )at my Windows 7 install at my Supermicro X7DCAL with Intel 5100 chipset and Asus EEE pc and others. I only got it working on windows XP with DFI Lanparty Nforce chipset motherboard , and yes i like the sound very much . Please can you help saying in what kind of computer motherboards or notebooks , you have it working ? Tnks

Last edited:
TE7022 WIndows 7...

The TE7022 USB receiver USUALLY works driver-free, however there are drivers that you can install while the USB DAC device is "unplugged", the Teralink drivers {bottom of page HERE}:

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter

or, Dr DAc Nano drivers:

ESI - Download

Try using built-in USB ports vs plug-in cards with ports, you can uninstall the USB drivers and "HUB" in Device Manager and have the core USB support redetect and install.

read both pages HERE:

Unknown Device - USB error Code 43 - Microsoft Community

Then install Teralink or Dr DAC Nano drivers {32 or 64-bit}{optionally}, then plug in the DAC after driver installation {if you chose to try a driver}. On some systems there is a internal device such as a SD card reader or internal camera which may not install properly, and also give you an error. Pull out any cards you do not need. On EEE PC look up at manufacturer for any drivers for built-in devices. The UAE23 is not problematic for most people; the TE7022 USB receiver it uses {the USB part} is very common, proven, reliable, and well regarded in it's class -- WAY more free of headaches than some of the newer "high tech" USB receivers {SOME plagued with SERIOUS flaws}. For most people this cute little DAC just works.

Im am really sad and confused because i'm struggling with a Code 43 error ( USB device not recognised )at my Windows 7 install at my Supermicro X7DCAL with Intel 5100 chipset and Asus EEE pc and others. I only got it working on windows XP with DFI Lanparty Nforce chipset motherboard , and yes i like the sound very much . Please can you help saying in what kind of computer motherboards or notebooks , you have it working ? Tnks

ERROR 43

Also read the bottom post HERE:

NwAvGuy: ODAC May Update

you see, the UAE23 is VERY similar to the ODAC, at least USB receiver wise.
The bottom post there [today yet] is by the guy who helped design ODAC using the TE7022. READ: you MAY have other problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.