Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 04:07 PM   #61
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
But are you sure that WM8805 only accept 24/96 as hifimediy mention that their CS4398 direct DAC supports up to 24/192 ? That thing uses WM8805.
In software mode.
Old 8th November 2012, 05:58 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

At the moment I am listen mostly to BBC Radio 3 high definition sound, 320 kps mp3, on an older Toshiba laptop.

Post 55 interested me with regards to the noise caused by the laptop charger.

I have my earbuds plugged directly into the HiFimeDIY ES9023+TE7022. Not expecting ground loop problems, as my earbuds are not connected to ground, I still decided to try running the computer off the battery by unplugging the charger..

When the charger is unplugged, and the computer runs off the battery, there is a slight, but noticeable reduction of a slight harshness in the music and the voice. The battery is quite old however and I listen for quite long periods. Running the computer without being plugged into the charger does not seem a good idea.

I know that the earbuds have a sharp rise in the high frequencies that probably exaggerate the harshness.

I am not able at the moment to compare the harshness with my desktop, as I am not at home.

I love the portability of the HiFimeDIY DAC. I am not interested in bringing along a larger box and extra power supplies for portable use. The USB isolator is a good suggestion for home use.

Does anyone think that cutting the power cord between the charger and the laptop and running the positive and negative through the windings of a small 1:1 iron core transformer to cancel the noise might help? I do not have the tools or parts to try it at the moment. I will not be home for another 2 weeks.
Old 8th November 2012, 06:31 PM   #63
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Instead, make your own laptop charger that gives cleaner power.
Old 9th November 2012, 04:28 AM   #64
bundee1 is offline bundee1  United States
diyAudio Member

Would changing any of the caps improve the sound?
Old 10th November 2012, 01:50 AM   #65
jinacio is offline jinacio  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hello from Portugal, everyone.

First of all, I am not audiophile, by any means, so take my feedback with a grain of salt

Sometime ago, I got a cheap PCM2704 DAC/board that did seem to improve on my (high-end/ recent) onboard sound somewhat.
Obviously though, it was not great either...

Having found the hifimediy sabre DAC with good reviews and a great price (maybe it's not a audioquest dragonfly, but its a hell of a lot cheaper), I decided to order it.

Compared to the PCM, some aspects are very obvious: more dynamics, instrument separation, and detail.
soundstage also seems to improve somewhat.

Still, there was a slight "harshness" to it.

One of the causes, is a noise USB line (on the PCM board without any sound output, the noise is very obvious while connected to the Amp)

Also, I have found that some burn-in time did actually improve some of the harshness, and the sound also seems somewhat clearer as well.

All in all, I am *very* pleased with this DAC.
I am also considering getting an usb isolator (olimex?) and connect a proper power supply to it.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

The harshness I noticed with BBC Radio 3 a few days ago is gone.

It did not show up when I tried some other 320 kps radio stations.

I could not detect it while playing a flac file.

I am guessing that there was a defect in the BBC signal that has been corrected.

Unplugging the power supply now makes no noticeable difference.

I continue to be impressed with the sound quality of such an inexpensive DAC and how well it directly drives phones of both high and low impedance without an extra headphone amplifier.

It would be really informative if someone could make distortion measurements while the HiFimedDAC it is connected to 30 and 600 ohm headphones, different real loads in place of the ideal resistor.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:51 PM   #67
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinacio View Post
All in all, I am *very* pleased with this DAC.
I am also considering getting an usb isolator (olimex?) and connect a proper power supply to it.
Check this isolator
Teralink ADuM4160 USB Isolator board

I think that use they share the same circuit...but it cost little less and apparently is more "audio grade" (MJE15030 , BC548 NPN low noise linear voltage circuits)

Last edited by azimut; 11th November 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #68
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimut View Post
or this one, high end :
Alimentations - Audiophonics KIT Isolateur USB + Alimentation
Old 11th November 2012, 03:06 PM   #69
jinacio is offline jinacio  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimut View Post
Check this isolator
Teralink ADuM4160 USB Isolator board

I think that use they share the same circuit...but it cost little less and apparently is more "audio grade" (MJE15030 , BC548 NPN low noise linear voltage circuits)
Thanks for the tip, that looks very interesting, and inexpensive as well!
I will certainly have a look.
Without knowing the circuit, though, I'm a bit weary of the vreg... having a known LDO part would be easier to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
Kit with SMDs done should be easy enough to solder too.
This seems even more interesting in the power filtering options it provides.
If i read it correctly, it should be supplied with either AC or 9V/12VDC power, and it can feed upto 1A trough the USB Line?

In any case, with postage and tax it ends costing about twice as much as the DAC

Also, I was ondering if using a long (5m+), active (bus powered) USB cable would be a terrible idea. If not, the isolator would go at the end of the cable for best results, I guess?
Old 11th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #70
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinacio View Post
In any case, with postage and tax it ends costing about twice as much as the DAC
It looks very nice but I'm agree with you.

At similar price is possible to get to the new board made by hifimediy 9023 + coax and an amanero board...

Hide this!Advertise here!