Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 10:05 AM   #41
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohk View Post
How can the item be opened without destroying it?
on the side of the box you can see a small space. insert a small screwdriver.
I opened/closed mine several times already.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:22 AM   #42
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
But I cannot see this. The only space I can see is a kind of a gap under the output socket. This is surely not the space you have ment.
Update:
Now I have managed to open it. I did it the old style, with a knife (or a flat blade) gently, like you open a watch. Thanks anyway.

Great little item, isn't it?
I just got mine an hour ago and it plays wonderful (UAE23 V1.0).
I have not compared it to the other Tenor TE7022 based Dacs I have(Audinst Hud-Mx1, Audinst Mini, No-Name WM8761 Dac) and the other Dacs I have here (pro and non-pro), but that will be interesting.

It can also be built in a otherwise passive preamp or with some extra screening into a PC case perhaps. My pcb is pretty clean, btw.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:28 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks.
The only space I can see is a kind of a gap under the output socket. This is surely not the space you have ment.
maybe I created the "space" the first time I openend it
It's indeed a tiny pcb
Old 28th September 2012, 10:28 AM   #44
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Maybe I jumped in wrong conclusions but from what I know:

By increasing the sampling bit depth, quantization noise is reduced so that the S/N is improved. The 'rule-of-thumb' relationship between bit depth and S/N is, for each 1-bit increase in bit depth, the S/N will increase by 6 dB.
24-bit digital audio has a theoretical maximum S/N of 144 dB, but digital audio converter technology is limited to a lower S/N

Quote:
DYNAMIC RANGE: A DAC’s noise floor impacts Dynamic Range (DNR), audible noise, THD+N, and can even exceed jitter-induced distortion. If you have to pick a single number to evaluate real world DAC performance –60 dBFS dynamic range (DNR) is one of the most revealing. The guys in the white lab coats have determined DNR greater than 100 dB results in transparency under realistic conditions. And, if you want to adjust the volume in software, it’s best to have at least 110 dB DNR to keep the noise floor inaudible even if the downstream gain is left cranked way up. Anything beyond 110 dB is past the point of diminishing returns—it looks nice on paper but doesn’t help the sound quality. The ODAC is a very substantial 14 dB better than the FiiO E10.
Your measurements say that the hifimediy has a Dynamic range of 98 db, so "effective" resolution is quite same (98/6=16,3 bit ) as the fiio 10 that has a dynamic range of 97db...check this link NwAvGuy: FiiO E10 DAC

Anyway I think that 16 bit is good for everybody...especially if you pay it 40 euros

Last edited by azimut; 28th September 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:38 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I immediately tried the kernel drivers with foobar (24bit resolution) and it works without a flaw. I am not sure if the volume control reduces the output via resolution (should actually not happen with kernel drivers) or the the volume control (either via Win7 or with foobar itself) is controlling the analog output of the Dac (as Hifimediy proposed), which would be perfect.
Win7 installs a Sabre 24/96 driver by itself during the first plugin/powerup with the item - I do not know if you mean that this is the extra Sabre driver?
Old 28th September 2012, 11:00 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am not sure if the volume control reduces the output via resolution (should actually not happen with kernel drivers)
It always happens when you use a software volume control.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:07 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

@azimut : I don't think the lower DNR should be considered as lower "effective" resolution. It has to do with the noise floor. The two chips manage 24bits signal. In a player supporting 24 bits, there is 48dB (144-96) available for digital volume control attenuation without any signal degradation. Above that, signal is degraded (1bit lost per 6dB attenuation).

ODAC's design calls for lower noise floor. It achieves 111dB DNR, ie almost the chip's DNR of 112dB. Hifimediy's dac version 2, with improved voltage regulator, has probably a better DNR and SNR than mine. Close to 100dB is excellent IMHO. 10 years ago this was only available in high end devices
Also consider that my measurement setup and hardware are for sure not equivalent to nwavguy's lab equipment

BTW, I use analog volume control
Old 28th September 2012, 12:03 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
BTW, I use analog volume control
Of course!
Old 29th September 2012, 10:50 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Looking closely to the ES9023 dac chip datasheet it is clear to me now that there is no inbuildt hardware volume control (except by an outside resistance). That reduces the usability of the HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC as a headphone output quite a bit. As a normal line output device it is nevertheless "formidable" or "Buonissimo!" - especially considering the price...
Old 29th September 2012, 12:16 PM   #50
rdsu is offline rdsu  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Did you try it with some USB Isolator, to see if improves something?

Hide this!Advertise here!