Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2013, 07:50 PM   #321
16tons is offline 16tons  Italy
diyAudio Member

i've noticed on the sabre 9023 datasheet that the chip has pins MCLK, DATA, LRCK, BCK, GND can these linked with the diyinhk xmos i2s output and use this instead of the tenor?
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:54 PM   #322
diyAudio Member

Default Where's the "DIY" in HiFimeDIY???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
I don't see much "pure" DIY activity here our forum or other DIY communities (nope ... naked PCB kits and stuffed eBay PCBs from China don't count!).
Oops, I think I just clogged someone's toilet:
"We are a team of Chinese and Europeans developing and selling audio equipment for DIY (do-it-yourself). " ... from About page of HiFimeDIY.com
Looking around on hifimediy.com, I found some stuff that barely qualifies as TRUE "diy" ... and the DAC in this thread ain't it
Seems "DIY" has become a big marketing word, and not just for audio ... UK's biggest home-improvement store -- B&Q, like Home Depot in US -- is none other than diy.com.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:42 AM   #323
McDark is offline McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
Just spotted something new on their site:

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

"The Hifimediy U2 Dac works in USB Asynchronous mode using the standard USB Audio protocol. "
"The U2 uses the SA9023 USB receiver chip from SAVITECH (not to be confused with the DAC chip ES9023). It accepts 32Khz, 44.1Khz, 48Khz, 88.2Khz and 96Khz inputs at 16 and 24bit.
The SA9023 USB receiver is set to work in slave mode, and PLL1705 is the master clock source. The master clock is 256x according to the sample rate. The PLL1705 is 0ppm (frequency precision) and a low 50 ps jitter. "

And yes, DAC is stil ES9023. Could be nice.

But only thing is bothering me - there is not a lot info on this DSP, I've managed to find only SAVITECH presentation http://www.kinstart.com.cn/backup/do...F%E7%89%87.pdf which shows in the table that SA9023 DOES NOT support async mode. I've tried to ask about it via form on Hifimediy site some days ago, but still got no responce.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:05 AM   #324
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

well spotted ! Yet anoter USB audio receiver... excellent. Looks promising againts T207022.
Unfortunately, I can't read chinese...

It seems the Savitech receiver is set to slave to the master clock, shared with the dac. Not linked to the USB clock. I see it as async USB receiver.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:20 PM   #325
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
Unfortunately, I can't read chinese...
Luckily, Google can

Other source has confirmed SA9023 could utilize ext clock, so it could be async... Still unsure why they (SAVITECH) put such misleading info in presentation.
Old 13th August 2013, 08:54 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

Can anyone give me some help with improving the treble on the 23A? I've gone back to a RAKK DAC ver. 01 (PCM1794) because the treble is definitely smoother, and a colleague is finding the treble a little gritty/uncomfortable as well. We both got the units a couple of weeks ago.

Has anybody else noted a gritty treble, and if so are there any fixes?
Old 14th August 2013, 05:48 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Probably there is no solution as none previously noticed Sabre treble to be harsh. If you mean UAE23+ by 23A then power supply could cause a problem. There is just nothing to be broken in signal path otherwise - output goes stright from the DAC which is excellent. But yes it could reveal all the grain you have in your recordings (or added by player/decoder), previously smoothen out by PCM1794. Try listen reference recordings on other player. Hope this helps.

Last edited by McDark; 14th August 2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 18th August 2013, 06:25 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDark View Post
Just spotted something new on their site:

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

"The Hifimediy U2 Dac works in USB Asynchronous mode using the standard USB Audio protocol. "
"The U2 uses the SA9023 USB receiver chip from SAVITECH (not to be confused with the DAC chip ES9023). It accepts 32Khz, 44.1Khz, 48Khz, 88.2Khz and 96Khz inputs at 16 and 24bit.
The SA9023 USB receiver is set to work in slave mode, and PLL1705 is the master clock source. The master clock is 256x according to the sample rate. The PLL1705 is 0ppm (frequency precision) and a low 50 ps jitter. "

And yes, DAC is stil ES9023. Could be nice.

But only thing is bothering me - there is not a lot info on this DSP, I've managed to find only SAVITECH presentation http://www.kinstart.com.cn/backup/do...F%E7%89%87.pdf which shows in the table that SA9023 DOES NOT support async mode. I've tried to ask about it via form on Hifimediy site some days ago, but still got no responce.
I bought one of the new asynch models last week to pair with my Sony Xperia TL via OTG/Host cable, ( USB out ). Unfortunately it did not work, even with the USB Audio Recorder Pro App and driver. Not sure why, as my TE7022 HifiMe Sabre model works fine. The asynch model works and sounds great with my W7 laptop. The only other DAC I have is the AGD NFB-12 with 2X WM8741. Quick NOOB question. The UA23 draws to much power from the phone and I have to use a USB hub to "fool" it into hooking up. It still uses power from the phone to run. I am thinking about using the Teralink USB isolator board mentioned earlier in this thread to improve SQ and power the DAC by itself. The spec sheet calls for DC8V-15V, up to 600ma. Can I power it with one of my rechargeable 9V, 550ma Li-ion batteries? Should I add any other components between isolator and battery? Thanks, satwilson
Old 20th August 2013, 06:45 AM   #329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satwilson View Post
I am thinking about using the Teralink USB isolator board mentioned earlier in this thread to improve SQ and power the DAC by itself. The spec sheet calls for DC8V-15V, up to 600ma. Can I power it with one of my rechargeable 9V, 550ma Li-ion batteries?
It should work, but capacity is relatively low. You could use powered hub (one which comes with power supply) as a starting point as well, this way DAC will use HUB power. Most hubs without suppluy included do have power input so you can check their input range and power them from battery. This way you could not get ground isolation (which is probably not needed with phone) but at least power will be clean.

Hifimediy also have their USB isolator AFAIR.
Old 20th August 2013, 07:07 AM   #330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDark View Post
Hmm. Probably there is no solution as none previously noticed Sabre treble to be harsh. If you mean UAE23+ by 23A then power supply could cause a problem. There is just nothing to be broken in signal path otherwise - output goes stright from the DAC which is excellent. But yes it could reveal all the grain you have in your recordings (or added by player/decoder), previously smoothen out by PCM1794. Try listen reference recordings on other player. Hope this helps.
UAE23+ yes. I tried it with a lead acid battery PSU and yes, it sounded better in the treble. Not perfectly smooth but better. So PSU does count. Theremay be some distortion elsewhere in the system - I'll have to go on and check for that.

Hide this!Advertise here!