Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 01:09 PM   #21
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

sorry to repeat my question : how did you get a Sabre driver ?
when i install hifimediy's dac on windows seven, the usb audio microsoft driver is used.
Old 20th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

When I put it in my USB port it automatically installed the drivers called

"SABRE 24/94 DAC"

In the advanced settings I can see that it is basically the same as the "ODAC" driver:

Microsoft
USBAudio
(Generic USB Audio)
wdma_usb.inf

Both devices lists these drivers:
- drmk.sys
- ksthunk.sys
- portcls.sys
- USBAUDIO.sys
- SysFxUI.dll
- WMALFXGFXDSP.dll

Sabre 24/96 has these panes in the PROPERTIES section:
General - Supported Formats - Levels - Advanced

ODAC has these panes in the PROPERTIES section:
General - Enhancements - Levels - Advanced

Under "supported formats" one can chose which formats the DAC supports:
- DTS Audio
- Dolby Digital
- Microsoft WMA Pro Audio

and samplerates:
- 32.0 kHz
- 44.1 kHz
- 48.0 kHz
- 96.0 kHz

These are check-boxes, and multiple boxes may be checked.

This differs from the "Enhancements" pane that is shown under the ODAC device which lets you adjust bass level, room correction etc.

I'm running Win7 Corp, 64-bit.
Old 20th September 2012, 03:01 PM   #23
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Same receiver IC, same driver, external rom containing different USB descriptor, having a different name in Device Manager is possible.

Not so sure about the features that Windows reports it to have, but well since you've seen it happen...

Last edited by wwenze; 20th September 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:09 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yep, that is what I think. The windows driver is the same but it runs in different modes if you like..

What worries me is that it can't be good to run two instances of the same driver at once. I believe that I had both ODAC and HifiMeDiy connected at the same time.. This could have affected the review.

Listened to them today, but one at a time and no switching back-and-forth all the time. They both sound good but there is still some issues at the top. The very short usb cable of the HifiMeDiy DAC could be an issue.

A: no ferrite bead
B: very close to the laptop which is putting out a lot of RF noise (HDD, WiFi, CPU, etc)

The HifiMeDiy is also housed in a plastic box which offers no protection from RF... Placed 5 cm from the noise machine that is my laptop.. Not ideal.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:16 PM   #25
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamoomin View Post
Yep, that is what I think. The windows driver is the same but it runs in different modes if you like..

What worries me is that it can't be good to run two instances of the same driver at once. I believe that I had both ODAC and HifiMeDiy connected at the same time.. This could have affected the review.

Listened to them today, but one at a time and no switching back-and-forth all the time. They both sound good but there is still some issues at the top. The very short usb cable of the HifiMeDiy DAC could be an issue.

A: no ferrite bead
B: very close to the laptop which is putting out a lot of RF noise (HDD, WiFi, CPU, etc)

The HifiMeDiy is also housed in a plastic box which offers no protection from RF... Placed 5 cm from the noise machine that is my laptop.. Not ideal.
Thanks for comparing and sharing the results!. The comparison with ODAC is most interesting...
Old 20th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #26
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Ah ok, got it. I was confused when you mentioned different drivers.

TE7022E has a built in ROM for USB descriptor. Vendors can set a manufacturer's name, specific device name and declare the device supported features for windows. Hence some tabs are visible or not, depending on descriptor.
The "enhancements" tab is not from Sabre, but from microsoft. You don't want to use that crap anyway. Better rely on a player like foobar and use high quality DSP plugins if you need to enhance the sound

you can try adding a ferite beam to the hifimediy ?
1P TDK 5mm Clip-on RFI EMI RF Radio Audio Video Cable Noise Filter Ferrite Core | eBay
$1.31, incl shipping !
Old 25th September 2012, 07:27 PM   #27
na is offline na  Finland
diyAudio Member

I have used this sometime now and i must say the sound in my opinion is pretty neutral, and it digs the details what is in the record..
Do i like it?
For the price it is good but i like the sound of Wolfson (8741) more (my earlier dac) with my headphones.
Wolfson fatter sound suits better for me
I now have ATH M-50 headphones and problem is (if hp are driven directly) that it is too loud even if i try custom settings with my Macbook + VLC player..
So i think it can drive many headphones directly.
For the price its thumbs up!
Old 25th September 2012, 07:39 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Replaced the cable with a 1m shielded USB cable from a printer. Ferrite beads at both ends.

Not sure if this improved the top. I will get a aluminium case for the DAC and maybe put a propper filter on the shield (RC). Could also be an idea to put some small film cap (100nF) on the power...

Still a little harsher on S'es and hihats than the ODAC, but all in all a very good DAC considering the money. I'll probably not use this with my headphone rig, as it is a bit fatiguing in the long run. However, for my office setup or with a nice, warm full range which rolls off the top a bit: This would be a great bang for buck DAC.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:42 PM   #29
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na View Post
I now have ATH M-50 headphones and problem is (if hp are driven directly) that it is too loud even if i try custom settings with my Macbook + VLC player.
I asked HiFimeDIY about that right after I ordered (still in the mail) since I knew I would have that issue with my AKG K550s. The DAC product page says a single resistor can change output level. HiFimeDIY says try soldering a 100k resistor across C9 to lower the output.
Old 26th September 2012, 11:37 AM   #30
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Gets its power from the USB bus and it has a noisy reg....when you change that it could be a very good DAC but then it is not cheap anymore.

It looks like new batch use a different reg (LT 1763).
What reg they use before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamoomin View Post
WOW!
It doesn't have quite the same neutrality and airy resolution as the ODAC, but for 39 USD I'd say it's very close, certainly more than I expected. A very entertaining DAC indeed.
Price wise is excellent!
It would be interesting to see some measurements...devils is in details. NwAvGuy said that despite following the reference design, the first version of the ODAC only had about 98 dB DNR, getting much better than 16 bit (96 dB) performance can be challenging (ODAC after different release has 111 db DNR)

Last edited by azimut; 26th September 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!