Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 04:28 AM   #281
uncola is offline uncola  United States
diyAudio Member

Received my hifimediy sabre usb dac today, shipping took only a couple of days from oregon to hawaii I'm impressed with the sound, it definitely sounds higher detail than my desktop's motherboard audio.. although the motherboard can get a little louder. I'm able to hear more of an improvement through my apple earpods than I can through my sennheiser hd595. I started with the earpods in case the dac destroyed them, didn't want to risk my real headphones
Old 28th March 2013, 11:08 AM   #282
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micil View Post
I have put out to pasture my SB Classic + Bravo tube amp v2 .
I Formatted a Lenovo x41 win 7 + fidelizer + Foobar + Hifimedy Sabre Dac Teralink Drivers + Grado SR 80i
With 24/96 files I donít only hear music I hear the angels sing
Now I'm really interested. I'm running Win 7 Pro on a Lenovo X61, foobar2000 and Grado SR-80i too! Guys, it's been an interesting read for the past hour or so but after 25 pages, my brain is a little buzzed. I'm hoping I can get some advice here.

UAE23/UAE23+
I keep seeing both reference. Which is which? I only see:
1. HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter
2. HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2. External PSU, 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + Coaxial OUT

a. I am not sure at this point, what I will be using the optical out for (1) but I am pretty sure my Grados will benefit from the 3.5mm jack.

b. I am again not sure what use I have for the coaxial out (2) but the RCAs will feed my integrated amp and driver my speakers. I am curious to know if the analog outputs are fixed or variable? I kinda' like the fact that the volume control is analog but hifimediy recommends that is is set at max and volume be control via Windows instead. Since I am using an integrated amp at the moment, I will be setting the knob at max once again. If I hook this up to a power amp instead, will the unit double as a preamp?

Of the 2 models above, which will present the least noise? I am intending to perhaps get a tube buffer to link the DAC and my integrated amp at a later stage.

(1) The 'Indeed G3' if I go for the 'HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC'.
(2) The 'Xiang Sheng DA-01' if I go for the 'HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2'

I do apologize for the wall post but I could use some clarity on which is the 'UAE23+' and between the do options presently available, which will present less noise. Any thoughts on my intended setup will be much appreciated too.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:43 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

First you might wish to check out the website of the seller to see the difference in the models.

Hifimediy Store

In my opinion the optical out might be useful in future if you get a better DAC than the ES9023. It has been put into the hardware on account that the additional cost is almost nothing, and can help to market it. I stand to be corrected on this statememt.

This DAC is better than any most integrated amps. You might find the driving the Grado's directly is better than going through your amp.

I am driving my headphones directly from the UAE23. I use the computer sound volume control. I cannot detect any noise. The noise level is so much below the music level, that I do not believe it to be an issue.

When I get some time, and a space to work, I will try out some modifications and add a power supply, hoping for a marginal improvement. I might add a UAE23+ to the two UAE23 I already have. I will keep a simple UAE23 with my portable, as it does not require any extra equipment.

If there is a less expensive way to get a great DAC, I would like to know. What is the risk, when you can get such a great DAC for the price of 2 fast food meals?
Old 28th March 2013, 02:33 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

Well i visited the site earlier and there were 2 versions. 1 resembling the wireless dongle for my old Logitech RumblePad and the other that looks more at home on the desk. i did think of getting both though i will really prefer to prioritize my purchases since i do wish to get an external tube buffer/pre-amp.

the toy-like (is this the 23?) model would definitely come in useful when i travel with my laptop but i am not sure about the Indeed G3 for travel and furthermore, it's un-shielded.

the desktop version (this is the 23+?) is an obvious choice for home use with the RCAs into my integrated amp somehow. if i pair it with a Xiang Sheng DA-01 which has a analog RCA input, it basically allows me to bypass the DAC on the XS and utilize the tube buffer into my integrated amp plus there are additional usb/coax/opti input should i decide to connect more sources in the future. I am also trying to decide if i should go for a proper tube headphone amp/pre-amp like the Little Dot.

i have my CDP > XLR > CA 840A V2. the integrated amp drive a pair of Tannoys in the room and another pair of diy bookshelf on my desk. i'm feeding the foobar2000 > 3.5mm-RCA > integrated amp at the moment.

i am gonna talk a walk around the house and decide if i should just shoot for the toy first and see how things turn out.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:10 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

One more UAE23 MOD tested today: I measured negative V on Es9023 NEG pin, in my case -3.4V considering I run the DAC at 3.6V and use a 100K R from Es9023 pin# 6 to ground. I removed the charge-pump cap from the ES9023 CP pins and added negative 3.4V to the NEG-pin. It works GREAT!! I hesitate to undo my work, it is pretty nice sounding.

I used a a 79L05 -5V regulator, a 9V battery, and a multi-turn 100 ohm PCB POT, I set the wiper to -3.4V under load. I may add a cap at the wiper to ground [observing the flipped polarity or using non-polar]. This was a proof-of-concept test -- I think it's safe to say a cleaner voltage at the NEG pin without the charge-pump noise could be an improvement.

This modded UAE23 has:
- dedicated regulators for DAC, TE7022, and aftermarket clocks
- 12MHz TCXO for TE7022 [yanked the crystal]
- 50MHz Asynch clock instead of TE7022 MCK
- 100K from ES9023 pin#6 to ground
- external negative source [charge pump on ES9023 is DISABLED]
- additional USB power filtering
Old 30th March 2013, 09:56 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

The charge pump will not be disabled when you remove the external cap! Current flow might be reduced?
Did you scope the NEG pin? Would be interesting to know if noise (e.g. 1.5MHz) is reduced here using external supply.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:23 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Default Charge-pump...

Daniel,

I sure wish I could see this things on a chalk-board, explained. Ahh well, I can take a laptop downstairs and fire the DAC up on the bench [messy...]
or bring up a scope? Maybe not today yet. I will look for the noise; I've come this far It SOUNDS great but it did anyway [listening is not much help]. I did prove it can operate without the cap -- which was what I started out trying to do. Baby steps....

Cheers,

-Pat
Old 4th April 2013, 01:46 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm planing to use this device in a car installation, using the optical out to a the optical input of a DSP box (Rockford 3sixty).
Do you think that is it worth to do any of the mods on this thread if I'll be using only the optical out or the mods improve only the analog outs?
Old 4th April 2013, 03:48 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

The optical out simply uses the Tenor TE7022 USB receiver and a optical diode. As if the ES9023 is not there, basically. SO, adding a dedicated regulator at 3.3V feeding a better clock to the TE7022, should help. I do not understand what device would be feeding USB data to the UAE23? A laptop? SO some degree your computer in the car would have an inpact, Fidelizer might help if running WIndows. BUT, Linux has native USB CLass2 kernel streaming? I do not use Linux, but I think later Mac OS has same better native support...so like Lion, Mt Lion, or Linux... Windows 7 and 8 would drive TE7022 natively but maybe not as well as OS X or Linux, and there are add-in drivers that could also improve things for 7 and 8.

Mods-wise try a Fox 924b TCXO for the Tenor chip, add your own 3.3V regulator dedicated to that new clock, feed the clock signal to TE7022 XI pin #37 as I recall.
Old 4th April 2013, 05:53 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybiking View Post
The optical out simply uses the Tenor TE7022 USB receiver and a optical diode. I do not understand what device would be feeding USB data to the UAE23? A laptop?.
The complete car system would be: Nexus 7 android tablet---> USB----> audio interface ----->optical----->Rockford 3sixty.3 DSP------>analog audio----> Amplifiers.

What I'd like to know is if I'll be able to tell the difference modding the interface, but I guess that's a difficult question to answer. May be just cutting the 5v from the USB going to the interface and feeding a cleaner 5v from a good low noise regulator could improve things?

Last edited by Ricren; 4th April 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!