Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 02:26 AM   #221
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy just the ES9023 IC ? I've seen an ad on EBay - is that legit ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESS-ES9023...f9d264d&_uhb=1

I don't want to use a device with Tenor receiver. The CM6631 is much better. Or maybe Hifimediy can design a a CM6631 + Isolator (like iso7240m) + reclocker ( like Ti SN74AUP1G79DBR) and ES9023 ?

Last edited by KlipschKid; 6th February 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 6th February 2013, 03:09 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Default Es9023 Philipines

My Qty 2 ES9023 from this vendor showed up when I ordered [takes a WHILE to USA], I have not proven they work, however. The auction has been renewed, if they were fakes...they would not last long in business? I have them soldered to SMD/SOIC fanout prototyping boards with most of the support parts also mounted.
Here in the USA, Tom, you can get QTy 10 samples at $60 shipped from Shaw, the USA distributer for ESS. You have the tech PDF data sheet right? Or email me for it. And look up the Bragi DAC design, the second variation uses just the IL715 {the wider one} I2S isolator and a asynch mode operation, a fixed MCK of 50.000 MHz to the ES9023. 5V LT1763, and 3x slaved Lt1761 at 3.3 though I would go 3.6 for the DAC, maybe Micrel 5205 at 3.6 [Digikey]. I am not an engineer but as YOU know, a great PCB layout makes life easier, and superb PSU design brings out the best, as does low jitter clocks//TCXO.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with the next step, I am almost there, but it would be nice if it were all on one PCB. As you know, HifimeDIY has the UAE23+ USB-isolator IN, then TE7022 and ES9023, maybe in V2 of that they could add I2S input pads or, yah, the CM6631 or CM6631A. [off topic, there IS a CM6631//cs4398 with headphone buffer and ALU case on eBay]. I have owned TE7022/cs4398 and it does not have the wonderful sound the UAE23 does -- <insert shameless plug> after I have modded it. I have perused many ES9023 designs by now, but not everyone is blazing new trails or testing the best values to use [and don't rely on ESS for that, HAH}. I would love to hear a 50Mhz Asynch ES9023 config compared with SYnchronous dual ***** CM6631 or CM6631A feeding ES9023, or, both. The Vreg pin on ES9023 PIn#6... placing a POT on there and fixed R in series too [So POT can't short the pin] is high on my list. [Pretty easy inside the UAE23]. I would LOVE to test 12.000Mhz TCXO [one of my UAE23 TE7022 stage mods] *and* a good 50.000Mhz oscillator on the ES9023 MCK pin, which is NOT easy in UAE23 [not that it's a fault]. And regulators for DAC, and the 2 clocks. Ferrite beads on the clock{s} V+ leads...

I do not know if Shaw will ship to HK for you, the ebay QTy1 price you linked to, if they work, is pretty good.

Greetings from snowy Madison, Wisconsin USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy just the ES9023 IC ? I've seen an ad on EBay - is that legit ?

ESS ES9023 Sabre DAC | eBay

I don't want to use a device with Tenor receiver. The CM6631 is much better. Or maybe Hifimediy can design a a CM6631 + Isolator (like iso7240m) + reclocker ( like Ti SN74AUP1G79DBR) and ES9023 ?
Old 6th February 2013, 04:00 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Default TE7022 drivers

even newer:

http://www.esi-audiotechnik.com/down...prime-v1_6.zip

I think that is still using TE7022 USB
Old 6th February 2013, 05:35 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

ESS ES9023 Sabre DAC | eBay

Hi, you can buy from that seller , it is reliable, I have also bought 1 pcs. of ES9023 from him and is working very well in my modified bragi board where I can feed it async with 50 Mhz or direct from I2S inputs via a jumper, take a look - in that case, of synch MCK, the local 50 Mhz txco will be cut from it's local 3,3 Vcc which derivates also from the central stabilized 5v via a jumper (ferrite)

Click the image to open in full size.

I found the ES9023 chip to cost only 2,5 euro (VAT included) in the local europe official distributor of ESS , a company named ISMOSYS

my next candidate is the cheap PCM5102 (same price range like the 9023) which I heard to be more warm, analogue like, and don't even need MCK, it can generate it's own local internal MCK from the rest of the I2S inputs so that eliminates a "jiterry" problem

Last edited by luxury54; 6th February 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 6th February 2013, 05:55 AM   #225

You guys love this chip eh ? Thanks for the help ! I emailed the Ebay seller and he says he sourced his parts from the distributor in Taiwan, and he has used them himself so he's sure they're genuine. So I ordered one. I plan to try the PCM5102A also. However, I just got an AK4399 pcb + IC so I'm going to build that first.

Is anyone selling pcbs for either of these chips ?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 6th February 2013, 06:07 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You guys love this chip eh ? Thanks for the help ! I emailed the Ebay seller and he says he sourced his parts from the distributor in Taiwan, and he has used them himself so he's sure they're genuine. So I ordered one. I plan to try the PCM5102A also. However, I just got an AK4399 pcb + IC so I'm going to build that first.

Is anyone selling pcbs for either of these chips ?

Thanks,

Tom

I know xen-audio (contact EUVL on this forum) has PCBs that they will make up for both the 9023 and 5102 chips, they really love both of them, especially when paired with the Joachim Gerhard jfet filter buffer (I've just got all the parts together for my filter but yet to build mine). Their DAC PCBs aren't publicly detailed in fully anywhere AFAIK but if you contact EUVL he'll advise prices and details I'm sure.

You could try the PCM5102A on these: Q N K T C USB-I2S Module and Analog Board

You don't need to use their USB module but just wire your preferred i2s source in to the header positions, should work just fine.

Those boards also have some pretty neat low noise regulator circuits that are ideal for clocks and digital circuits, they're there specifically for prototyping and experiments. I have an earlier one of those, the QNKTC AB1.1 with the 9023 and it is pretty nice for a all usb powered DAC. My wife uses it now, I prefer my Acko AKD23P mkII with WaveIO input (soon to be Ian's FIFO) - though mine is obviously has a few more expensive parts around it and is pretty overkill for a relatively cheap DAC chip.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 6th February 2013, 06:19 AM   #227

Thanks Chris. The dev boards look great but total overkill, and really big too, so I'll contact Patrick.

Here's shots of the AK4399 if anyone's curious.

Anyway, back to building the 9018 ;-) Er, I mean work. Ahem.
Old 6th February 2013, 06:27 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

for the pcm5102 another readily made option is this :

Musiland Monitor 01 US, USB sound card, USB2.0, ASIO | eBay

they are also USB-I2S asynchronous devices and they have PCM5102 soldered in (zoom on the 3-rd image) + headphome amp + optical out + ASIO drivers, and they are pretty cheap judging that you gat the full package with enclosure and all the stuff

I remember GLT on hifiduino made a lot of reviews to these boards

one worthwile modification though would be to put PCM5102 in a custom filter mode (via a hardware pin to VCC) like explained here in this review where comparison about 2 DAC's is made, one with ES9023 and one with PCM5102

"The PCM5102 according to its datasheet has an option of two filters. I use the low latency, minimum phase filter option. One of the characteristics of this filter is that it has no pre-ringing and therefore no time-smear. I believe this is one of the reasons why non oversampling DACs sound as they do more realistic! "

Digital Audio Review by John Darko John Kenny JKDAC32 review (M2Tech Hiface + PCM5102 + LiFePO4)
Old 7th February 2013, 10:21 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

I guess it's a newbie quiestion, but does the USB reciever (tenor 7022 in this case) have any impact on audio quality?
Old 8th February 2013, 02:10 AM   #230

Total newb question I'm afraid. Everything has an impact on sound quality. Is it any good ? Yes, it's good but CM6631A is better.

Hide this!Advertise here!