Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 04:26 PM   #211
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
enjoybiking, you are correct:

I asked HiFimeDIY directly and got this answer:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers...[...CUT...]

To be fair I think that a optical in would be much more useful. There are a lot of cheap dvd/bluray player with awful dac converter and optical output

Last edited by azimut; 27th January 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 05:19 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

Default Toslink to USB

The USB receiver IC WILL accept a SPDIF stream and send it to the PC, but you would have to modify things. I have never done this.

http://www.gfec.com.tw/c/document_li...&groupId=19499

is the TE7022L datasheet location.

I am not positive what you want to do, but old Mac Pro towers are very cheap [at least in USA] and have dedicated Toslink in and out ports, great for capturing old DAT recordings [so are the newer Macs]. Where I live we're lucky to be able to sell off an old G5 Mac for over $100USD if that. They can run Audacity, and OS 10.5.8.

As to the UAE23 family, it would be pretty easy to get some geniuses together here... to MOD the thing. I suspect there are a few pads and traces that go to the pin 33 of the TE7022L on the PCB, if not it would be difficult. Mine are not handy here at the dining table but I will look later. [seek out un-used pad or trace that goes to TE7022L pin 33] Regular coaxial SPDIF is probably easier to MOD in, just a guess. HifimeDIY could also release the information; there is nothing in their DAC that is any trade secret.
I have reverse engineered the parts *I* care about.

Quote:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers. I have updated /removed the reference to optical in, but as we have this listed on several sites, there might some places where this information is still present. I apologize for any misinformation about this."

So it seems there is no optical in -> USB.

Itīs nevertheless still an interesting product, especially for the price asked.

Does anybody know of a similar product that has digital in and out to USB ?
I own a DAC, an RME ADI-2, where A/D and D/A are independent and can be used at the same time (24bit, 192kHz). This
is connected to a RME Digi96, a PCI card with digital I/O (24bit 96kHz). What I want to achieve is the same
thing over USB (maybe with 192kHz capability if possible), so I can use a Laptop instead of the old PC with PCI slots.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:49 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

Default How to jump SPDIF signal on UAE23

Hi, consider different using of SPD signal, we have some pads/parts on board which show below. Just use some 22ohm 0805 resistors to jump the signal path you need.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (36.8 KB, 666 views)
File Type: png 2.PNG (30.2 KB, 659 views)
Old 28th January 2013, 01:04 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Where can I get this special version ? SPDIF to USB is exactly what Iīm
looking for. The hifimediy.com website states "Optical input to USB" but
where would the optical input be ? Canīt see it on the photos provided.
Quote:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers. I have updated /removed the reference to optical in, but as we have this listed on several sites, there might some places where this information is still present. I apologize for any misinformation about this."

So it seems there is no optical in -> USB.

Itīs nevertheless still an interesting product, especially for the price asked.

Does anybody know of a similar product that has digital in and out to USB ?
I own a DAC, an RME ADI-2, where A/D and D/A are independent and can be used at the same time (24bit, 192kHz). This
is connected to a RME Digi96, a PCI card with digital I/O (24bit 96kHz). What I want to achieve is the same
thing over USB (maybe with 192kHz capability if possible), so I can use a Laptop instead of the old PC with PCI slots.
Hi, about SPDIF direction, I talked to Steinar before and we think that optical output may be more useful (to output non-audio signal like AC3). But our pcb design also include pads for optical input sensor. So if you need a OPT to PC version, we also can specially make some (use input sensor instead of red LED). Please just contact Steinar on hifimediy.com for order.
Old 28th January 2013, 02:42 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

There ARE quite a few people who need a way to get old MD and DAT audio back into the PC [I am just commenting not arm-twisting, hah, I do plenty of that too]. I suspect one could couple copper SPDIF to that pin [pad] with a transformer, or, Lampizator-style: 75ohm resistor to center of coax to a DIY SPDIF-IN RCA? Possibly easier with UAE23+ if it too has artwork to TE7022L pin 33. I have a UAE23 in a metal box, easy for ME -- but no need. Now with a bit of creative soldering you CAN have the optical OUT working same time as feeding two RCA audio jacks left/right audio, with the DAC just about stock.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:25 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Default UAE23+

Hello,

bought this little thing (UAE23+) as a recommendation from my friend. Came from Belgium to Slovenia in 5-6 days... Used with Foobar 2000 and wasapi, Rotel amp and Jamo E825 speakers with Jamo D4 subwoofer but I'm having a problem bass is absolutely awesome and very strong. I cannot use my subwoofer anymore there is no need for that...
Old 29th January 2013, 03:14 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

I have put out to pasture my SB Classic + Bravo tube amp v2 .
I Formatted a Lenovo x41 win 7 + fidelizer + Foobar + Hifimedy Sabre Dac Teralink Drivers + Grado SR 80i
With 24/96 files I don’t only hear music I hear the angels sing
Old 6th February 2013, 12:53 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Im am really sad and confused because i'm struggling with a Code 43 error ( USB device not recognised )at my Windows 7 install at my Supermicro X7DCAL with Intel 5100 chipset and Asus EEE pc and others. I only got it working on windows XP with DFI Lanparty Nforce chipset motherboard , and yes i like the sound very much . Please can you help saying in what kind of computer motherboards or notebooks , you have it working ? Tnks

Last edited by TugaTweaker; 6th February 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 6th February 2013, 02:42 AM   #219
diyAudio Member

Default TE7022 WIndows 7...

The TE7022 USB receiver USUALLY works driver-free, however there are drivers that you can install while the USB DAC device is "unplugged", the Teralink drivers {bottom of page HERE}:

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter

or, Dr DAc Nano drivers:

ESI - Download

Try using built-in USB ports vs plug-in cards with ports, you can uninstall the USB drivers and "HUB" in Device Manager and have the core USB support redetect and install.

read both pages HERE:

Unknown Device - USB error Code 43 - Microsoft Community

Then install Teralink or Dr DAC Nano drivers {32 or 64-bit}{optionally}, then plug in the DAC after driver installation {if you chose to try a driver}. On some systems there is a internal device such as a SD card reader or internal camera which may not install properly, and also give you an error. Pull out any cards you do not need. On EEE PC look up at manufacturer for any drivers for built-in devices. The UAE23 is not problematic for most people; the TE7022 USB receiver it uses {the USB part} is very common, proven, reliable, and well regarded in it's class -- WAY more free of headaches than some of the newer "high tech" USB receivers {SOME plagued with SERIOUS flaws}. For most people this cute little DAC just works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaTweaker View Post
Im am really sad and confused because i'm struggling with a Code 43 error ( USB device not recognised )at my Windows 7 install at my Supermicro X7DCAL with Intel 5100 chipset and Asus EEE pc and others. I only got it working on windows XP with DFI Lanparty Nforce chipset motherboard , and yes i like the sound very much . Please can you help saying in what kind of computer motherboards or notebooks , you have it working ? Tnks
Old 6th February 2013, 03:07 AM   #220
diyAudio Member

Default ERROR 43

Also read the bottom post HERE:

NwAvGuy: ODAC May Update

you see, the UAE23 is VERY similar to the ODAC, at least USB receiver wise.
The bottom post there [today yet] is by the guy who helped design ODAC using the TE7022. READ: you MAY have other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaTweaker View Post

Hide this!Advertise here!