Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 04:18 PM   #201
io is offline io  Hungary
diyAudio Member

What is the output filter capacitor?

io
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:35 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Default DAC filters

I did a google search for DAC filters. Here is a document that you might find interesting:

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...als/MT-019.pdf
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:02 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Default Rs and Cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu54 View Post
j ask the question to hifimediy, they told me :

"You could add an external potmeter to reduce the gain. Or a single resistor. Or install a resistor R3 on the DAC. The value needed is not mentioned in es9023 datasheet, so you would have to experiment to find a good value."
ODAC uses 220Ohms series then 2200pF to ground on the outs I believe.
On thread I read, a guy used 1k each leg and loves it, I'd probably stay closer to the proven ODAC, maybe 220 or 470... I am also fooling with the Vreg pin #6 on es9023 [Ess says ~10uF and have the 2 graphs on pg 10 of the design PDF for value of parallel R to ground depending on Vcc used for the DAC 3.6 vs 3.3. ODAC uses 118K and 22uF -> I am trying 100K and 10.1uF because I had a SMD R around that value to try [stock UAE23 seems not to have an R to ground off pin #6 I could be wrong, but it seems not.]
Old 25th January 2013, 12:01 PM   #204
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

postman just brought UAE23+
It's a nice little box. Not hifimediy production anymore but Hifime Audio Studio. A new brand

UAE23 looked like a toy. + version looks like a commercial dac, nicely finished in metal box.

In my mayuseoneday box , i found a suitable 9Vdc powerplug
Dac was immediately recognized by my laptop running windows 7 as "DAC Hifimediy (Sabre+ 24/96)", same as previous. I use default windows driver.

UAE23+ sounds very nice. ES9023 sound is there. To my ears, it's hard to hear a difference with the non-isolated version. Difference must be tiny, especially if no grounding issue existed with USB. I'll measure them both later and see if I can find a difference.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:24 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Default Isolation

Maybe you have less noise to start with? Having used fiber USB isolators, everyone in my family I give one to is happy. Silent regions are more quiet it seems. I live in a city, when I walk outside, there is a "city noise", I don't notice it but if it were gone, I might.

I'm pleased HifimeDIY added USB isolation; nobody has that feature at any where near this price-point. And as a DIY nut, the 23+ should be easier to MOD into something even nicer. The flexible range of power sources...more space... RCA jacks... a external power jack that can take AC or DC sources...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
postman just brought UAE23+
It's a nice little box. Not hifimediy production anymore but Hifime Audio Studio. A new brand

UAE23 looked like a toy. + version looks like a commercial dac, nicely finished in metal box.

In my mayuseoneday box , i found a suitable 9Vdc powerplug
Dac was immediately recognized by my laptop running windows 7 as "DAC Hifimediy (Sabre+ 24/96)", same as previous. I use default windows driver.

UAE23+ sounds very nice. ES9023 sound is there. To my ears, it's hard to hear a difference with the non-isolated version. Difference must be tiny, especially if no grounding issue existed with USB. I'll measure them both later and see if I can find a difference.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:42 PM   #206
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hi, UAE23 now has special version can accept optical input (to PC). ...
Where can I get this special version ? SPDIF to USB is exactly what Iīm
looking for. The hifimediy.com website states "Optical input to USB" but
where would the optical input be ? Canīt see it on the photos provided.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:46 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Default First impressions

Received this Dac in exactly one week, quit fast from China to Holland. It is the new + version, so I can try it also as a usb to spdif converter.

I play my music from an Imac. The Dac is recognized immediately as a Sabre 24/96 device.
For playback I use Bitperfect, a software utility for better audio output. Bitperfect has the opportunity for upsampling to 96 kHz. I was surprised that upsampling did not improve the output-sound. To much bass. So I turned it off and now I am quit happy with the overall sound.

I still have to compare it with my HK-dac, which lacks the usb input. And try it as a usb-spdif converter through the HK-dac. So lots of possibilities to try. And many hours to come with listening. Will be continued.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:15 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
Where can I get this special version ? SPDIF to USB is exactly what Iīm
looking for. The hifimediy.com website states "Optical input to USB" but
where would the optical input be ? Canīt see it on the photos provided.
HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter
Quote:
-Usb to optical converter. Outputs optical signal if you connect a 3.5mm optical cable in place of a 3.5mm audio cable. Can be useful for connecting your computer to another DAC without usb input.
-Optical input to USB. - This can be used to record a digital optical signal on your computer through USB. Note that the optical input signal can not be routed to audio (analog) out on this DAC.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:31 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

The allusion to optical input may have been a slight mistake; the TE7022 can take the input but I think the standard UAE23 OUTputs optical, not like the outdated picture on the site, but right behind the upgraded UAE23 3.5mm "Walkman" port is a red LED emitter -- being only a 2-lead device I doubt the stock vanilla UAE23 could input SPDIF from the optical arrangement it has. They MAY have input circuitry hiding in there they can mod for special customers. My guess.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:10 AM   #210
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

enjoybiking, you are correct:

I asked HiFimeDIY directly and got this answer:

"we discovered that we had to chose one, either optical in or optical out. We decided to stay with only optical out, as that can be useful to most customers. I have updated /removed the reference to optical in, but as we have this listed on several sites, there might some places where this information is still present. I apologize for any misinformation about this."

So it seems there is no optical in -> USB.

Itīs nevertheless still an interesting product, especially for the price asked.

Does anybody know of a similar product that has digital in and out to USB ?
I own a DAC, an RME ADI-2, where A/D and D/A are independent and can be used at the same time (24bit, 192kHz). This
is connected to a RME Digi96, a PCI card with digital I/O (24bit 96kHz). What I want to achieve is the same
thing over USB (maybe with 192kHz capability if possible), so I can use a Laptop instead of the old PC with PCI slots.

Last edited by gk7; 27th January 2013 at 08:21 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!