Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 06:12 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Just figured I'd add my infos to the thread for all those that need/want it.

I ordered mine from the US warehouse(Oregon) I live in Oregon and received in in two days flat.

I'm using mine on Windows 8 HTPC with FLAC through Foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin, and with Spotify Premium.

Installation was painless. Windows 8 recognized immediately and I was able to change it to the default output device. I used stock drivers.

Sounds great to me, but its my first dedicated DAC, so I don't have a ton of reference to compare it too... Its definitely the best my digital sources have ever sounded, I don't even own a CD player anymore, so I cant compare it to that.

I do listen to Vinyl still, and prefer the sound of vinyl to the digital source, even with the DAC, but that's a whole other story.

All in all, for 50$ it seems like a fantastic value.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:34 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

Default UAE23 ...some noise

I am not sure I read you right, but with the UAE23 I have had to keep main Windows Mixer volume at around 65%. I have been meaning to reverse engineer the UAE23 and see if it uses a resistor on the ES9023 pin 6 to ground, somewhere in the 118K--220K range; I think that impacts this volume stuff, though I am NOT positive. This is referred to on pg 7 of the engineering spec sheet and again in some graphs on pg 10, and are dependant on the Vcc chose for the DAC too, 3.6 vs 3.3V [stock UAE23 is 3.3V at the DAC, so they {ESS} show 220K there to ground.] ODAC [a similar DAC product that runs the ES9023 at 3.6V] uses ~118K and 22uF and 100nF in parallel all to ground from pin#6 on Es9023 . SO my guess is the UAE23 may not have a R to ground there? [I have to check] and, in general, I have had to run UAE23 at less than full digital VOL levels to avoid distortion and clipping [a DAC clipping sounds realllly BAD]. Using a USB isolator also lowers the noise floor, I use the Opticis m2-100-03 a fiber optic based isolator. UAE23+ model HAS a USB isolator, I doubt that is shipping from the USA site "yet" but should be in a few weeks I'd bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu54 View Post
hello everyone

I received the good dac hiifimediy yesterday and I'm pretty enerve, let me explain.

j jriver uses version 18, with a laptop and connected to the pc and dac and my dock jbl on beat extrem (on the entry in line 15 kohms).
J have downloaded the driver hifimediy 64 bit.
j have configured WASAPI event style on jriver.

result, I have small sizzling as little noise when I put the strongest on the dock, as it becomes saturated, I have the impression also that I can not put too much on his jriver, j stops at 80%, as this increases the crackling.

I put the buffer from 100 to 250 ms to see but nothing change.

The sound in this context is not genial, generally at moderate volume I find it a bit too round and too much sharp in the same time, it is strange.

. I precise that I already dac in the poppulse super pro 707 and tubemagic maverick d1.

if someone could help me understand what is happening

Do you think the 15 kohm input of the line in (jack) of tjbl dock disturbs the dac.
Or it is a problem jriver configuration, or driver hifimediy

thank you in advance
Old 18th January 2013, 06:02 PM   #193
manu54 is offline manu54  France
diyAudio Member

yep, but with Windows Mixer volume at around 65% you lose informations.
buy a usb isolator still costing the money and I'm not sure all the parasites disappear.
Don t you think that 15 kohm of the in line of the dock disturbs uae23
Old 20th January 2013, 10:59 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Ordered one from the Oregon warehouse. Compared it to several other dacs, including a Peachtree Dacit and preferred the HiFiMe. Tons of high end sound for very little money.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:07 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Ordered one from the Oregon warehouse. Compared it to several other dacs, including a Peachtree Dacit and preferred the HiFiMe. Tons of high end sound for very little money.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:35 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Default crackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu54 View Post
yep, but with Windows Mixer volume at around 65% you lose informations.
buy a usb isolator still costing the money and I'm not sure all the parasites disappear.
Don t you think that 15 kohm of the in line of the dock disturbs uae23
The ES9023 has a buffer at it's output, 15K would normally be "I think" "an easy load". I modded another UAE23 this evening, it too crackles if I have the master gain at over ~65% or so in the Jriver mixer -- I am feeding this at 24/96. I doubt anything done after the DAC would help. The USB isolator DOES lower the noise_floor, at least my fiber optic ones do.

The DAC is still open//raw so I will go back to the bench and see if there is anything else I can do, I probably did not add a bypass cap to the charge-pump cap yet, things like that. I DID add the resistor at Pin 6 ES9023 to ground, I am running the TE7022L with a Fox924B TCXO [Pin#37]. And the DAC regulator is a dedicated TPS79633. If I mod another one I'll try 3.6Vdac.
I have an Oscon cap at the input +5 which comes from my USB isolator.
I'm about to put this in a case with RCA jacks.
Old 21st January 2013, 05:26 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

the only possibility for me would be to put a voltage divider because it saturates the input auxiliary dock. But I would not do it.
the dac output is too high or the auxiliary input is too low and saturates too quickly, either.
Old 22nd January 2013, 05:17 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

j ask the question to hifimediy, they told me :

"You could add an external potmeter to reduce the gain. Or a single resistor. Or install a resistor R3 on the DAC. The value needed is not mentioned in es9023 datasheet, so you would have to experiment to find a good value."
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:00 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Has anybody measures the output impedance of this DAC?
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:32 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

The output impedance of ES9023 is 240 Ohm. Don't know if hifimediy adds another external resistor besides the filter cap to ground?

Hide this!Advertise here!