Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 03:33 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantran View Post
I actually prefer the layout of the previous version without isolation chip.
but think of how much the UAE23+ can $ave money for people wanting isolation, and there won't be some silly uncovered PCB inline ahead of the DAC, because the DAC maker integrated it. It's a big win for the consumer, and who else HAS this at a DIY price?

I use RCA jacks so am happy about THAT in the UAE23+ -- but I wonder about headphone people [which I am NOT]. I modify almost everything I buy so some room to do the mods would be nice -- if the PCB artwork supports modding so much the better. Pads for a clock, etch-cut and pads for a second regulator...pads for a variety of caps...[some designers filter the heck out of the 1.8V, the DAC AVCC, and use a mixture of caps for the negative charge-pump] so people will ask for the SPDIF to USB, USB to SPDIF [maybe that is there], a pre-regulator [say 7806?] off the diodes [allow any V in up to 12 AC or DC], spot for a USB vs external PWR SWITCH. I'll hack it either way though, fun stuff!

I may breadboard a ES9023 very soon; I have a few now... and 3 spare TE8802 USB receiver assemblies, also a CM6631. I also ordered some 4PDT 5V relays, so I can try I2s switching while keeping leads very short [as I have been advised]. Last eve I made TE8802-->AK4396 "Miracle DAC" -- it would be nice to switch fast to ES9023 and compare, or WM8742...AK4430... [I have them]. Maybe it will work.
Old 4th January 2013, 04:10 PM   #152
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

And here tne same TErratec ADC with phono cartridge connected, player not running. The AC hum now -50dB

I just want to demonstrate that AC hum is a real problem. You will get minimal (no?) hum only if you play a battery-driven player and dac and amp (portable player)
Attached Images
File Type: png NAD-Project-Terratec-usb-acerpc not playing.png (60.4 KB, 625 views)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 5th January 2013, 01:19 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
You are right, it was just my preference from a DIYer perspective. UAE23+ is a very cost effective solution for consumer.

I have just bought a chassis. The cost is equal to the UAE23. Adding the isolation board and separate power supply, it's not cheap but fun to DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybiking View Post
but think of how much the UAE23+ can $ave money for people wanting isolation, and there won't be some silly uncovered PCB inline ahead of the DAC, because the DAC maker integrated it. It's a big win for the consumer, and who else HAS this at a DIY price?
Old 5th January 2013, 11:52 AM   #154
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Yubing : I can't read from the picures what DC power supply will UAE23+ accept ? maybe you could share the power supply schematics to understand how it is build, the chips used and the options we have.
Old 5th January 2013, 04:08 PM   #155
azimut is offline azimut  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
And here tne same TErratec ADC with phono cartridge connected, player not running. The AC hum now -50dB

I just want to demonstrate that AC hum is a real problem. You will get minimal (no?) hum only if you play a battery-driven player and dac and amp (portable player)
Is it Odac immune to this?
Old 5th January 2013, 08:09 PM   #156
McDark is offline McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
I personally think it is ridiculous, AC hum is no way related to DAC, check ground loops cables power supplies etc (but being already caused by any reason of above it CAN change between DACs). -50 dB AC hum is EASILY noticable, I can hear nothing like this on any of my DACs/sound boards/players including UAE23. That 0-10 Hz bump is even more strange, most likely it caused by some 'click' on input/power switching or alike.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:44 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
Yubing : I can't read from the picures what DC power supply will UAE23+ accept ? maybe you could share the power supply schematics to understand how it is build, the chips used and the options we have.
Hi, there are rectifier bridge and caps to AC-DC, and LT1763 to regulate. The LT1763 accept upto 20V input. So you will know how to choose the power adapter. We suggest AC6~9V, 500mA min adapter. Low voltage will save power for a linear regulator.
BTW, DC input also accepted.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:55 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
Oh, sorry - i mixed you both together because both had red flags at the names. Anyways, then.

hifimediy: Any ETA on the new dac? :-)
You can place order now. Just contact Steinar if you can't find the link. First batch already reached him.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:29 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

We use a smaller knob at last, and looks more suitable I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UAEs.jpg (31.9 KB, 534 views)
File Type: png UAE+.PNG (636.9 KB, 527 views)
Old 7th January 2013, 12:38 PM   #160
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

LT1763 accepts 20v input, but not for a 5v output at the currents here (which are exactly?). it will thermally limit at Junction Temp 150c well before that.

read the 'Calculating Junction Temperature' example in the datasheet.

I know you are clearly not recommending 20v input, but I wouldnt even mention a 20v input being a possibility.

Hide this!Advertise here!