Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 07:54 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Default UAE23+ and UAE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
We call it UAE23+, which is usb isolated and need a external power supply. It will be bigger than UAE23. I think UAE23 is very convenient to use but UAE23+ will be little more high-end.
We still use ultra low noise regulater to make es9023 work the best.
I modified a UAE23 over the holidays with

- separate regulation for the ES9023 + caps

[I used a 5-lead TPS series 3.3v since I do not use headphones, that regulator has a pin for a bypass cap, so that got it's own cap too, on pin 5]. I only wish I had some tiny coils around for the 5v V+ into regulator #2

- bigger pre-filter 5V cap, low ESR

- Fox 924b 3.3v TCXO 4-pad SMD clock

FOX924B-12.000 Fox Electronics | 631-1068-1-ND | DigiKey

it would be nice of the PCB artwork in UAE23+ would support an etch-cut and spot for addition of secondary 3.3 or 3.6V regulator, a 3.3V TCXO... 12V in with 7805 or so pre-regulator [leave the diodes so can feed in AC or DC or battery], and spot for USB vs 12V power switch [for coaxial power jack vs USB]

I may rebuild the second UAE23 I bought into a large enclosure and add a 1/2 level switched attenuator, or switches for a few steps. I feed it now with Opticis m2-100-03 3m fiber-optic USB isolator [12Mbps rated] with far-end 5V injection port. I have 30 of those isolators left at less than 1/2 $ you will find anywhere, I prefer to ship to USA [easy]. PM me if you want one.

I have no idea if it sounds better, it's "nice". I'll have my second UAE23 soon so I CAN then compare, before I mod it and give to my Sister. I wrapped the UAE23 in foil HVAC tape [mostly because cover doesn't fit now hah]
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:06 AM   #142
tofurky is offline tofurky  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
very interesting. Any place where you describe the details of this ?
hi alkasar,
nope just here
i got the ferrite today and ran several tests. i'm seeing about a 1.5db improvement in noise, dynamic range, and crosstalk with this tdk clip-on ferrite: ZCAT1325-0530A
it's a tight fit on the cable but it goes on. thd was unchanged with the ferrite.
the adum4160 i ordered is the circuits@home kit without the on board regulator.
-matt
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:45 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
I think this is a question for hifimediy. I am just one of his customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
quantran: This new one looks perfect to build into my headphone amplfier, do you have any ETA when it will be avalible to order? :-)
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:38 PM   #144
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Oh, sorry - i mixed you both together because both had red flags at the names. Anyways, then.

hifimediy: Any ETA on the new dac? :-)
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:10 PM   #145
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurky View Post
hi alkasar,
nope just here
i got the ferrite today and ran several tests. i'm seeing about a 1.5db improvement in noise, dynamic range, and crosstalk with this tdk clip-on ferrite: ZCAT1325-0530A
it's a tight fit on the cable but it goes on. thd was unchanged with the ferrite.
the adum4160 i ordered is the circuits@home kit without the on board regulator.
-matt
thank you. adum4160 seems to be the only available chip for this purpose.
Another kit available here with many top quality through hole components, and excellent regulator.
Alimentations - Audiophonics KIT Isolateur USB + Alimentation

Let's see how hifimediy made the isolation

about availibility, Steinar said : soon for a first batch.
Probably a matter of days to find it on hifimediy.com
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:10 PM   #146
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Not related to RF problems but ground hum. It,s very difficult to eliminate AC hum (50/60Hz) even from a USB driven system. This hum is easily -30 to -50dB at nominal Freq and some 20-30dB down at multiples.

I can demonstrate this by sowing some Audacity recordings and graps. Even the laptop driven by it's battery is not free of it. At least you will get it in your power amp. The attached graphs shows mainly the hum from a phono cartridge. The Terratec ADC itself gives some -50dB AC-hum

The recordings always have low fq noise and AC noise. Here is a flac 24/96 from HDtracks, you can see the 60/120/180Hz AC-hum and low fq noise propably from microphone amps. Usually this is highpass filtered off (subsonic filter @25Hz)

If you have a laptop, please download the free Audacity and make your own (uncalibrated) measurements. The spectrum of noise is more interesting than the dB of certain specified mV/fq to us non-engineers.

When I connected my Audio-GD DAC via usb and recorded RCA-output to the same PC, there was practically no hum at all. The ground loop did that. But there was more noise from the soundard of the pc.
Attached Images
File Type: png flac 24 96 Stone silence hum.png (167.9 KB, 566 views)
File Type: png NAD Terratec AcerPC no signal.png (171.8 KB, 498 views)
File Type: png foobar usb audiogd silence.png (110.8 KB, 481 views)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 3rd January 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:32 PM   #147
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

If i get it correctly, the setup for the last picture is :
- output device = usb dac
- input device = motherboard soundcard microphone in
- foobar paused (playing nothing), you record with audacity
In this setup how do you that the noise does not come from the input device ?
Have you tried the same with line-in, instead of mic in. Usually less noisy input.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:52 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
based on the photos in post #123, the implementation is quite straight forward. The adum4160 was inserted between TE7022 and USB port. It seems to share the power supply with other chips from lt1763. There is AC supply input.

I actually prefer the layout of the previous version without isolation chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar

Let's see how hifimediy made the ...
Old 4th January 2013, 03:30 PM   #149
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

To Alkasar,
The last is PC/usb to dac/Tenor 7022, dac/RCA-out to the same PC/line in (back panel, motherboard/Realtek HD) My mic-in is mono, noise is about the same. The sample is a 24/96 flac played with foobar, silent section.

Yes, there is a ground loop. But I get almost the same when I measure the PC-driven dac with a laptop. And much more AC hum from any other configuration or AC-powered appliance. (I haven't tested the output of my Logitech X-Fi player yet.)

DAC is Audio-GD NFB-12 set to 4x and minimum phase filter.
My Vincent SV-129 stereo amp gives much more noise, like any amp (excluding D-class).

Here is my Terratec ADC box connected by usb to the same AcerPC. No signal (input disconnected) Level set for recording a LP.
Attached Images
File Type: png Terratec-usb- AcerPC no signal.png (62.1 KB, 444 views)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 4th January 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:32 PM   #150
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thats all unacceptibly large and I get nothing like those levels, you have ground loops

Hide this!Advertise here!