ADC for DEQ2496 input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently acquired a Behringer DEQ2496 and a DCX2496.
I will use the AES/EBU cable to connect the EQ to the crossover.
I was thinking it may be better to use an external ADC for the input to the DEQ, thereby bypassing all the (supposedly noisy or low SQ) analog circuitry in the DEQ's input stage.
What I do not know is how high the quality (and I assume price) of the ADC would need to be, to improve on the SQ of the Behringer analog circuitry.
Obviously it should be at least 24 bit (2496, this means 24 bit 96 kHz, correct?).
I see ADC's on EBAY for less than $100 and some for way less, but are they good enough to make any difference.

It would also be nice to use the ADC for level matching as most of my sources (digital satellite TV, CD and DVD/Blu ray) seem to be -10 dBV (0.3 Vrms).
I also have several synths (Roland MC-303 groovebox, Korg Poly 61, Ensoniq ESQ-1) and all my sources have been compatible with both amps which drive fully at +4 dBU (1.3 Vrms).
But, all of my sources go through a mixing board before the EQ and crossover so I may have been doing all of my signal level matching with the board.
Any info on the level of quality for an ADC that would improve on the DEQ2496 analog inputs would be appreciated.
I would assume that others are taking this approach, what works for you.
I will worry about changing the DCX crossover outputs at a later date, but plan on either transformers or caps eventually.

Thank you very much,
Dave

Last edited:
The SRC has the same basic input circuit as the DEQ and DCX. The ADC in all is superb, it is an AKM AK5393. However as you said, the analog circuit is rather poor and introduces excessive IMD.

IMO the best thing to do is replace the analog circuit.

I was thinking that using a separate ADC would be an easy way to bypass all the analog circuitry in the DEQ input.
But that assumes that the separate ADC has good analog input circuitry.

Davey said:
The DCX2496 already has considerable EQ capabilities. Why do you need both?
I didn't realize that. I will have to look into it some more.
Either way, it would be nice to bypass the analog input section of whatever I use.
I will look into the SRC2496.

Thanks,
Dave

It looks like the AD24QS Kit is unavailable at this time.
I guess I am going to look much more closely at improving the DEQ's input stages.
I see that there are several people offering either kits or several levels of input stage services up to, and including entire new input/output boards.
That is probably my best option at this time, that is upgrading the DEQ analog input stage.
The DEQ to DCX interface is in the digital domain AES/EBU, I already have the cable.
At some point I will have to deal with the DCX output stages, and there seems to be numerous approaches for that.
A remote controlled volume or even remote muting control would be great.
I guess I will see what is the best way to go at a later date concerning the crossover output electronics.
I am starting to get the idea that if both of these units are used at the signal levels they are intended for (Pro level +22dBU) then the signal to noise ratio is fairly low and SQ is not all that bad (I know that SQ is a subjective thing, but I am not all that discriminating of a listener).
One step at a time.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Time to read those long DEQ/DCX mod threads again.
One question.
Allot of the posts in the mod threads are as much as 8 years old, and I have heard that the DEQ has gone through many generations of small changes.
Has the SQ of the input stages been improved since the flurry of mods that seemed to start in 2004?
Thanks again,
Dave

A bump for this question

I read all the threads (that I could find) here and elsewhere on the input/output stage mods for the DEQ/DCX series, but allot of the info is from 2003 thru 2006.
so,

One question.
Allot of the posts in the mod threads are as much as 8 years old, and I have heard that the DEQ has gone through many generations of small changes.
Has the SQ of the input stages been improved since the flurry of DIY mods that seemed to start in 2004?
Thanks again,
Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, not that I can tell. The problem isn't the ADC, it's the analog circuitry in front of it and to some extent, the power supply. It may be worth your while to replace that. I have, with great results. No need for an outboard ADC.

Hacking the DCX is easy, I've not yet done the inputs of the DEQ (just outputs) but they are very similar.

Also, for whatever reason, the DEQ is happiest when fed AES from another Behringer product such as the DEQ or SRC.

Hi Pano,
I have DEQ and DCX 2496. I was wondering if you would share how you have them connected and what mods you feel are worthy to do, my unit are stock at this time but fixin' to get the iron out on them soon ,lol.
I grew up a little south of you in Greenville ,Sc. small world,sometimes !
Thanks alot,
No Smoking

Also, for whatever reason, the DEQ is happiest when fed AES from another Behringer product such as the DEQ or SRC.

Do you mean the DCX is happiest fed from the DEQ or SRC? I think that's because the DCX digital input needs a minimum of 200mV input and many bits of kit these days don't deliver it. I've no idea why, since the standard for SPDIF is 500mV.

Hi,

I can't put absolute numbers to it as I have to use a DAC to test it. However, here is a comparison showing a DacMagic recorded into a standard DEQ analog input vs the same into my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra analog input. The Fast Track Ultra is a good quality USB audio interface. With the DEQ analog input circuitry replaced it can do even better than the Fast Track.

There are a few things to consider when replacing the circuit though; the ADC likes to have a 2.5V DC bias, and the switched capacitor filters on the ADC input can easily de-stabilise op-amps.

DEQ-vs-Fast-Track.jpg

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I wasn't concerned with absolute levels, but since your graph didn't show the upper part even relative levels couldn't be viewed.

I'm considering modification to my DCX/DEQ so will be interested in your mods. Are you using an OPA1632 (or similar) for the input stages?

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.