ADC for DEQ2496 input - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 08:26 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
Are there any DIY ADC´s ?
Elektor ADC is good:

Audio ADC 2001 - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

PCB is still available, and the CS5396 ADC can be found from ebay though costs a little bit (=> look for elsewhere). If 117 dB SNR and 48 kHz fs is not limiting youre artistic actions then use the cheaper CS5394 instead.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:14 PM   #32
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sorry not to get back to this thread, I forgot about it.

I've modified both DCX and DEQ for simple transformer outputs. I just run the DAC differential outputs into a 1:1 or 1:2 transformer. It works great. Cinemag, Jensen, Sowter, Peerless, Onectics, whatever. I tune the peaking a little with a resistor across the transformer secondary. 3.3K is typical, but not critical. Gone is the edgy "Digital" sound that is so typical of bad digital equipment. The Stock outputs have, to my ear, a "ground glass in mud" sound. The transformer outputs remove the glass and the mud.

For power I have not done much, just replaced the cheap 25uF electrolytic caps on the +5V rails with 100uF Panasonic FM series - near the voltage regulator and near the DAC and ADC chips. They are they same size caps so fit no trouble. This seems to make a noticeable improvement in power and dynamics - I was surprised how much. I know others have done even more extensive PSU mods.

For the DCX analog inputs, I simply built my own analog section with high quality opamps and used the DCX +/-15V supply rails. The new section was either cap coupled or transformer coupled to the ADC chip. Sounds great, measures great. One could probably do better, but this seemed to work very well.

My results replacing the analog sections of the Behringer DEQ and DCX very much mirror what Barelywater has posted here. In fact, I used to do these mods for hire, but no longer offer them. They really aren't hard for most DIY'ers to do.
Old 1st November 2012, 10:17 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My results replacing the analog sections of the Behringer DEQ and DCX very much mirror what Barelywater has posted here. In fact, I used to do these mods for hire, but no longer offer them.
???? I hope your replacement results don't mirror mine, which are all of stock condition.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 27th November 2012, 05:54 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I have a DEQ it was a for parts only deal,someone tried to remove ak4393,The right side traces are gone but the left side is still intact,so the right side has mostly outputs and some caps and power in,so how much trouble would it be to replace the dac with a WM8741 as I have read it 's better than the 4396,I have looked for a ak5396 to wm8741 sch but not located one yet,ANY suggestions are welcome!
The digital in and outs all work ,and the analog input,is good,
Does the ak5396 tie the analog to the digital circuits,I was also thinking that the 8741 has software filters and a volume control but I do not know how to fashion them yet!
Thanks alot,
NS
Old 27th November 2012, 06:16 AM   #35
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you wont have access to any of the neat filters (such as the apodizing filter) or volume control of the WM8740/1 without some sort of microcontroller, they are only available in software mode
Old 27th November 2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just replace the DAC with the IC it is meant to have AK4393, or the pin compatible AK4396.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:57 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Thanks for the reply's ,Yes just fix it as it was is a solution,but thought I would ask,
On the 8741 can a computer be interfaced to access those filter/features?
Thanks,
NS
Old 27th November 2012, 03:34 PM   #38
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the 8741 can a computer be interfaced to access those filter/features?
not directly no, you need a microcontroller to interface with it
Old 27th November 2012, 03:58 PM   #39
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
???? I hope your replacement results don't mirror mine, which are all of stock condition.
Sorry, I thought that 1st image in post #28 was yours, I see it's not.

Basically I find that the stock outputs are pretty clean below ~1KHz, but generate more and more high order harmonics above that. A better output stage will not have those problems and sounds subjectively smoother and less fatiguing.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:15 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hi Qusp,
I found a chip that will interface the 8741 ,Is there software for this or will it have to be written to access the filters?
Thanks for your help I AM A NOOBIE in this area,
NS

Hide this!Advertise here!