Digital crossover for 3-way speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, after I gave up on computer based crossovers JRiver added one. I've looked at it, but have not tired it. Seems that you like it. Which version of JRiver MC are you on?
Old 30th August 2012, 01:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm on 17, with 18 due out any day. Supposed to be a lot of upgrades to the DSP section. I used to use miniDSPs, but looked into using my pc to keep my stereo functional when I had to send my boards back for repair earlier this year. I used the 7.1 analog out on my mobo, and while the sq was ugly the software and possibilities were great. I ordered a firewire interface and the mini's went on the shelf when I got them back. MiniDSPs are great and I'll keep them for something but for my main system pc is the way to go.
Old 30th August 2012, 02:24 AM   #13
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks! I'm still on 16 - didn't do the upgrade yet. Looking forward to see what they have in 18. It does seem like a simple way to do active crossovers and EQ.
Which firewire card are you using?
Old 30th August 2012, 04:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskel View Post
Can i have systemwide XO with my audio interface? What software can i use ? Will Allocator work ?
Yes and yes, though some restrictions and conditions apply when using time reversed IIR in real time. Feel free to check out the discussion starting here and follow up on that thread if you've specific questions around Allocator or Cross Time DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
If you want to spend a long time twiddling and fooling with software and glitches, get a computer based crossover.
Mileage varies considerably; many of the PC hassles can be avoided by doing one's homework before buying. For what it's worth, my experience with Focusrite Saffires is they're pretty much turnkey and the VST stack I run in Plogue Bidule's been bombproof. USB 2.0 support's been trickling in to audio interfaces for a while and it's starting to look like most of the kinks have been ironed out of the drivers---I've been thinking of maybe picking up a Scarlett.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:57 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Which firewire card are you using?
Echo AudioFire 12. It's been solid, I'm super happy with it. No frills. No extra mic pres, headphone outs, MIDI, ADAT etc just 12 channel ad/da for less than 6 bills.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:28 PM   #16
muskel is offline muskel  Estonia
diyAudio Member

2sick2pray, dont hijack my thread please.

I definitely want to do pc-based measurements.
Natehansen, I was looking at this unit: Firewire audio recording interface 16 IN 16 OUT | Audio Interfaces - what do you think ?
That way i can also have a headphone amp and SP/DIF IO. I also want to connect my tv to the setup later - i can do that via the SP/DIF. The thing is i want my setup to play movies, youtube videos etc too..not just music. Can i do that with a PC-based XOver?
Old 10th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Threadjacking posts removed. 2sick2pray, you are welcome to begin a thread of your own.

Thank you.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:03 PM   #18
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

youtube, thatr would be complicated, any video needs to be delayed to match the time needed to process the filters, fine enough when you have control of the stream and the delay is known, but if streaming from the web it could be problematic
Old 11th September 2012, 02:35 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

muskel - I don't know anything about any of the other Echo products. I do know that mine has been trouble free and I'm quite happy with the sound.

My current pc xo setup with J River handles the audio for ALL pc sources. DVD, hard drive, youtube, netflix, spotify etc etc no problem. With external sources (anything not sourced by JR from the hd) there is a bit of a pop, or drop out, from time to time. This is due to the way the software "grabs" the audio from the default Windows sound device which JR uses as a sort of virtual sound card. These pops could be fixed if I took the time to get everything sorted properly. I don't notice any issues with delay at all, but maybe it's something I'm not sensitive to.
Old 11th September 2012, 05:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I apoligize, got so excited just being here , and will stick to the subject at hand.2S2P

Hide this!Advertise here!