Digital crossover for 3-way speakers

Hi!

I use Echo's Gina24 it is a great card and can be found occasionally on ebay for around $200 or so.
Yes it is an older card but it can be found.
Here is one on Amazon,

Amazon.com: Echo Gina 24-Bit Multi-Track Digital Recorder Card: Musical Instruments

It is a Great sounding no frills card.
I have less (no) issues with it as much as I do when I try to use my X-FI Elite Pro system using Live Host's and vst's.
I have found that Creatives Mixer is a PITA to use and does not play nice when it comes to Live Professor which is the program I use.
Although I did get it to work.
I haven't tried any of the other programs with it yet with it as I am about to switch back over to the Gina24 anyhow because of it's ease of use and never had even one problem with it.

FWIW

jer :)

natehansen66 - how do you input your digital sources ?

I'm not sure what you mean? All my digital sources are either on my hard drive or online media. In either case the digital audio is sent via firewire to the interface.

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP64 and could not got either of my cards to work in Win Vista or in Win7.

If I remember from my reading correctly the Gina/Layla cards are no longer being made and Echo is not going to update the drivers for Vista/Win7.

Muskel,
what you are trying to do could be very challenging if you would like to mix sources, such as S/PDIF, digital files and video. It is not impossible, but extremely challenging and potentially expensive if the utmost quality is your choice. If you play only digital files, than that is no problem on any platform - Mac or PC, but mixing brings a lots of limitations. That is the very reason I decided to give up that rout after being frustrated that just switching from digital files to S/PDIF created a big deal. I also hated that I constantly had to do something in software, and than when I wanted to play internet radio, I was barely able to do so with huge frustration.

If you still decide to go forward, and would like to use an audio interface I would gladly recommend RME Fireface 400 or 800, but they are above the budget you have set. As for the drivers they are the top of the line... untouchable. Allocator is absolutely the best Xover software I played with.

But, out of all option, I think you might want to give a glance at DCX2496. The beauty with that is that it is a stand alone unit, so it works regardless of computer. There are really high quality upgrades that turns that average unit into exceptional one. If interested you could do piece by piece upgrade, but unit works from the point you turn it on. And no latency issues ether, so mixing various signals is not a big deal.

Sure, you could do a lot more in the terms of equalization with your PC Xover, but also you could do much worst, as well, if you overdo it.

Last edited:
Yes,natehansen66, I am aware of this,Thanks!

I thought that I would mention it as they do have some drivers on their website.
But in my case they just do not work for the latest versions of windows.
I had just saw a Gina 24 card on Ebay for $50 right after I had made my last post.

I have the same issue with my X-FI card as well, But I did just recently discovered a new third party installer for that card but I have not tried it yet.

I was thinking that it was just my old motherboard but the system runs Win7 and Vista just fine.
It is a Asus A8V-X and a Opteron 185 oveclocked to 2.95Ghz.

If I get a chance I will try them in our new FX-6100 build sometime, as that machine belongs to my mother and I will have to try it some time when she is not using it.

My point was that it could be done on the cheap with some good ole (old) quality components using WinXP 32 or 64.

Last edited:
The speakers have been sitting lifeless in my room, but that will change shortly :)
A lot of time has passed since i built them and now i need a dsp solution. I wont go the PC route, its overdoing it and too complicated. Is the minidsp 4x10hd still a good choice or is there something better out there these days ? Minidsp also has some new products of their own.

I went for miniSHARC, FIR filters and everything. (un)fortunately it doesn't have any dac-s. Now I'm search for a cheap and compact 8-channel dac board.

Very soon, see MiniDSP website, they'll have a 8 ch DAC board (same outline as the minisharc). It uses a 8ch DAC chip from AsahiKASEI (http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4440EF.pdf) How well it performs is not known yet.

I also used the MiniSharc for my project (still under construction) and used i ess9016 8ch for DAC (MiniDSP :: Topic: Minisharc, 8ch Dac, 6ch Amp, 3way speaker (1/5))

I was about to buy the Najda, but it looks like its not actively developed. I think miniSHARC is the better option still? Although the 333mhz processor seems like its quite slow by todays standards, very little taps available for FIR. I could use IIR crossovers and then do phase correction with FIR - i think that is a good compromise.

I have the minisharc in a premade solution, the OpenDRC DA8. It works well. In your situation, just add 3 curryman I2S dacs, a Vol-FP and a case, and you're set.

Most of the speakers phase deviations are minimum phase. This means that as soon as you have fixed the eq with IIR, there are very little phase fixing left. You can then use FIR to do linear phase crossovers and the rest of the phase fixing.

Johan-Kr

I was about to buy the Najda, but it looks like its not actively developed. I think miniSHARC is the better option still? Although the 333mhz processor seems like its quite slow by todays standards, very little taps available for FIR. I could use IIR crossovers and then do phase correction with FIR - i think that is a good compromise.

Low tap FIR is a horrible sounding option, so I would forget it. What happened to your original plan using PC? That is a much better option. What to do with measurement? You'll need PC for that anyway.