anti-sin(x)/(x) for NOS DAC via software parametric equalizer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default anti-sin(x)/(x) for NOS DAC via software parametric equalizer

Hi:

I am using JRiver Media Center software as server and player for feeding NOS filter-less DAC (TDA1541A based), Satch Tube Max from Diy HiFi Supply.

I want to experiment with parametric equalizer in JRiver Media Center to compensate for sin(x)/(x) high frequency loss.

Can someone please recommend me setting for doing it with parametric equalizer? Frequency, Bandwidth (Q), Gain? One filter or more than one...?

Regards
Old 18th August 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I haven't used JRiver but I did simulate an LC filter to do this on LTSpice. It needed a centre frequency around 28-30kHz I recall. Does your parametric equalizer go up to such high frequencies?

If not I know another way to do this - take a look at my blog : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...orrection.html
Old 19th August 2012, 05:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I haven't used JRiver but I did simulate an LC filter to do this on LTSpice. It needed a centre frequency around 28-30kHz I recall. Does your parametric equalizer go up to such high frequencies?...
Thanks for the input. I am just looking for settings for Frequency, Bandwidth (Q), Gain for filter or filters, no need to know the JRiver Media. JRiver can make any frequency filters.

I did saw the link you posted but I don't have any skills with filters. Thus, can you write me some settings that you got from Spice simulation?
Old 28th November 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok! I played with settings in JRiver and used following settings in parametric equalizer.

Center frequency: 20kHz
Gain: 3dB
Q: 0.12 (-3 dB at 2.37kHz and 169kHz)

I used the Analyzer in DSP on Pink Noise and it seems the parametric equalizer is correcting for high frequency loss. See the following pictures.

Click the image to open in full size.

(I used 1-channel pink noise; no idea why Analyzer still showed two lines in graph)

Now the question is, if I am using parametric equalizer in DSP to adjust for high frequency loss, am I going back to crappy impulse response of digital filter?

I don't have equipment to measure impulse response. Thus, please help in answering this question.

Regards
Old 28th November 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

My experience is, that every time you fiddle around with software, manipulating the sound track, spatial reproduction and low level detail is affected seriously.

why strive for bit perfect sound reproduction and start using a tone control?

If you really lack treble, you might want to consider to reduce a bit the damping of your tweeter in your loudspeaker?
Old 29th November 2012, 12:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input dddac!

My tweeters are already hot thus even with NOS DAC I never felt the need for more treble. However, I am really curious if this method works or does it take us back to ringing impulse response of linear phase filters.

Hey.....everyone, please give us your input.
Old 29th November 2012, 01:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hifi View Post
I did saw the link you posted but I don't have any skills with filters. Thus, can you write me some settings that you got from Spice simulation?
Just noticed I didn't reply to this earlier - Spice simulation doesn't have 'settings' that would be meaningful to someone who's not comfortable with circuit simulations.

You asked whether parametric equalisation takes us to ringing - and of course the answer is 'yes, it does'. All FR changes will have effects on the time domain. The difference is that almost all digital fitlers have pre-ringing because they're designed to be linear phase. The parametric EQ won't have this artifact so could sound better - parametric EQs are usually minimum phase so just exhibit post-ringing.
Old 11th December 2012, 01:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks abraxalito!

I appreciate your response and breaking the bad news (post ringing) to me or to others if they did not know that already.

Hum ..........so there is no free lunch in digital too.
Old 11th December 2012, 02:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Funny you should talk about a 'free lunch' - I think there might just be one in terms of SQ. That's to filter the output rather more aggressively than is customary. I've been listening to my DAC through an elliptic filter and its made a really substantial improvement But then I'm not using a TDA1541A so perhaps its just brought my listening experience up to the level yours always was
Old 14th December 2012, 06:52 AM   #10
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

VST Plugin Izotope Ozone has a minimum phase setting for parametric EQ which should prevent most of the pre-ringing

Foobar works well with VST plugins. I always come back to it. Just wish it had a good SRC

Last edited by regal; 14th December 2012 at 06:57 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!