CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

wklie, yes it seems strange ... special besause this firmware then shouldn't be able to load on the 6631A at all.
I was not able to load the latest Asuc Xonar firmware succesfully, and I guess that it is because Asus is playing with a (non A) 6631.
After all, I guess it is possible for the engineer who runs the compiler, to put in any value of FW and PID in the source code - and then make 2 different firmware's with same version.
I have only tested the setup for compability with Android.
I have not verifyed the samplerate and bit depth from my Android phone - only that it is now possible to play music from my Android via the USB interface.
I will investigate further in this aspect and report to this forum later ....

usb cable length

Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried any cm6631/cm3661A boards with long usb cables, 5 meters for example. I had an external sound card with the cm6632 (asus xonar u7) and it would not work properly wit a 5 meter usb cable (the measured voltage drop at the end of the cable was not much so i do not think it is a power issue, but it may be an interference issue caused by the cable length). I really liked the improved sound quality of the cm6632 optical output coupled to my pcm1798 dac but cable length is critical in my setup. I have a pcm2707 usb to toslink interface that I built a while ago and that one works perfectly with the same 5 meter usb cable. The cable seems o be of good quality.

What do you mean? Why is it bad to use a USB isolator?

(on USB 1 doing 24/96, yes that is possible, for example on the Tenor TE7022L, but I've never seen an asynchronic USB interface that does more than 48/24 in USB 1.)

I mean that idea to use USB isolator and USB interface from separate sources ends up with nonfunctional combination (I don't know how to name it since 48KHz is not something that I expected from chip which can goes up to 192KHz/24-bit). It seems that some combination works, as you mentioned one, but mine doesn't work.

Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried any cm6631/cm3661A boards with long usb cables, 5 meters for example. I had an external sound card with the cm6632 (asus xonar u7) and it would not work properly wit a 5 meter usb cable (the measured voltage drop at the end of the cable was not much so i do not think it is a power issue, but it may be an interference issue caused by the cable length). I really liked the improved sound quality of the cm6632 optical output coupled to my pcm1798 dac but cable length is critical in my setup. I have a pcm2707 usb to toslink interface that I built a while ago and that one works perfectly with the same 5 meter usb cable. The cable seems o be of good quality.

i have cm6631a board (usb powered) and if works with long cable (5m) but it is active usb cable - generally you can use 4 segments (up to 20M) but i am using only 2 segments so total length 10m

I mean that idea to use USB isolator and USB interface from separate sources ends up with nonfunctional combination (I don't know how to name it since 48KHz is not something that I expected from chip which can goes up to 192KHz/24-bit). It seems that some combination works, as you mentioned one, but mine doesn't work.

The perceivable difference between 48 and 192KHz is really small, because our ears do not hear above 20KHz, and 48KHz sample rate is sufficient to store frequencies up to 24KHz. The main result of 192KHz sample rate is more high frequency noise, which is bad. But that's a long discussion.
The perceivable difference from isolating the very noise PC power supply, from a clean audio power supply is very significant.
So I wouldn't state that a 48KHz device is "non-functional"!

Hi all:
There are so many request for the CM6631A Configurate Tool. I decide to put it here. If you need it you can download it. But please note this tool can only use to generate CM6631A firmware. You can not use this firmware which generate by this tool on CM6631, CM6632 and CM6632A. If you do that you device may not function any more.
This tool do not include firmware update tool. You need ask your IC provider or device provider to got it.

Thanks a lot! But wich version of fwupdate tool are compatible with it's output? I got 2.0.1.3, but it sad: firmware file format error.
I have no luck with searching for newer version like 2.0.1.9 shown here: CM6631A 384KHz | H i F i D U I N O

When you get this error, unplug and replug the USB connection of the CM6631(A) device.

Make sure you're on real Windows XP.

It's giving back the same error on a machine from stone age with XP. Unplug / replug does not change this, still not accepts the firmware file. I think it's not an OS based problem.
Instead of updates the updater at least able to read the generated hex file specs.

Attachments

• Névtelen.jpg
    Névtelen.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,062
It's giving back the same error on a machine from stone age with XP. Unplug / replug does not change this, still not accepts the firmware file. I think it's not an OS based problem.
Instead of updates the updater at least able to read the generated hex file specs.

You should erase the firmware on the device first.
Unplug and plug in again.
The left side with Version, PID etc will be empty.
Then you can upload the firmware to the device without the error.

The version 2.0.1.9 firmware update tool can work normally on Win7. (But I cannot upload it because of the size limitation of attactments!) And recently I solved the problem about 24/96 limitation. It is exactly caused by incorrect hardware configuration. The XGPI4 pin must be pulled up to VCC in order to switch the chip to Class 2.0 mode.

That sounds grate! Can you upload that version to a share site or somewhere?

What type of board u are using? With firmware enabled 32/384k, I can only use settings up to 24/192. The higher modes are not in the selection list under win7. I'm using this one: Hi Fi CM6631A 192kHz to Coaxial Optical SPDIF Convertor DAC Board 24bit USB 2 0 | eBay

That sounds grate! Can you upload that version to a share site or somewhere?

What type of board u are using? With firmware enabled 32/384k, I can only use settings up to 24/192. The higher modes are not in the selection list under win7. I'm using this one: Hi Fi CM6631A 192kHz to Coaxial Optical SPDIF Convertor DAC Board 24bit USB 2 0 | eBay

I used a mini test board designed by myself. It seems that the 32/384 mode can be only enabled on Linux or MacOS. I uploaded the tool below(compressed by sub-volume mode). Before unzipping it, you need to change the filename from fwupdater2019.z01.zip to fwupdater2019.z01.
View attachment fwupdater2019.zip
View attachment fwupdater2019.z01.zip

The version 2.0.1.9 firmware update tool can work normally on Win7.

If I read the pdf right, it seems to say that Windows 7 can only be used to update CM6631A, but not CM6631. Strange.

In case my previously posted links aren't working, I'm attaching the various firmware here.

Attachments

• CM6631A_Firmware_0101_0108.zip
    40 KB · Views: 554
  • CM6631_Firmware_2203_2205_2206.zip
    47.8 KB · Views: 517
I used a mini test board designed by myself. It seems that the 32/384 mode can be only enabled on Linux or MacOS. I uploaded the tool below(compressed by sub-volume mode). Before unzipping it, you need to change the filename from fwupdater2019.z01.zip to fwupdater2019.z01.
View attachment 394292
View attachment 394293

Thank you, it works fine under Win7! Now i set all options to 64BCLK (I'm using 3 wire i2s with pcm5102A dac) and all of the options works up to 24/192 in Win7.
My new FW also works in Linux, now i get sound. Yeppy!!!

Have you made any sucsess with class2 mode? I'm verry intrested. If that works, i will do the pin mod on my panel.

Thank you, it works fine under Win7! Now i set all options to 64BCLK (I'm using 3 wire i2s with pcm5102A dac) and all of the options works up to 24/192 in Win7.
My new FW also works in Linux, now i get sound. Yeppy!!!

Have you made any sucsess with class2 mode? I'm verry intrested. If that works, i will do the pin mod on my panel.

When you find it working at 24/192 rate, it is exactly under Class 2.0 mode. In previous test, I flashed the ver.0108 firmware and it was limited at 24/96 rate. But ver.0101 and ver.0208 firmware have no problems like this. I think the Class Mode with these two firmwares of USBDAC version is not controlled by pin. When you use a full function firmware like ver.0108, you need to setup the pin.

When you find it working at 24/192 rate, it is exactly under Class 2.0 mode. In previous test, I flashed the ver.0108 firmware and it was limited at 24/96 rate. But ver.0101 and ver.0208 firmware have no problems like this. I think the Class Mode with these two firmwares of USBDAC version is not controlled by pin. When you use a full function firmware like ver.0108, you need to setup the pin.

My panel was came with v.0108, and i was able to select 24/192.

Hi guys, this thread seems like it may be useful for my problem. I am trying to use Breeze Audio CM6331A USB to SPDIF via ALSA on RPi.

I have followed advice to delete firmware and disconnect then reload firmware. Unfortunately I cannot see the device in FW update tool after deleting and reconnecting.

Any advice? Using FW tool 2.0.1.9 and W2K8 Server.

Thanks

Antony