CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

Please help me.
I'm doing massive mod of my Asus Essence One DAC (changing capacitors, potentiometers, wiring etc.). Along with all this stuff I'm planning to change Cmedia 6631 non A chip to Cmedia 6631A chip.
I heard that 6631 and 6631A are pin to pin compatible. Do I need anything else to make 6631A work on Essence One? Like flashing F/W, etc?
P.S. Currently Essence One is flashed with official 0111 F/W.

Please help me.
I'm doing massive mod of my Asus Essence One DAC (changing capacitors, potentiometers, wiring etc.). Along with all this stuff I'm planning to change Cmedia 6631 non A chip to Cmedia 6631A chip.
I heard that 6631 and 6631A are pin to pin compatible. Do I need anything else to make 6631A work on Essence One? Like flashing F/W, etc?
P.S. Currently Essence One is flashed with official 0111 F/W.

After consulting with tdtsai I give up the idea of replacing 6631 with 6631A on Asus E1 DAC.

CM6631A Configuration Tool

Hi All:
I got a beta version of configuration tool for CM6631A. It can configure CM6631A I2S interface. This tool should can easy let you to configure CM6631A to control external DAC codec(like Ess9018, PCM1792 ...). Do any one want to try it?

Attachments

• CM6631A.jpg
    CM6631A.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,504
@ tdtsai
Looking at the picture of your post, this tool can configure the bitclock, so that it might be possible to set up 64x instead of 128x FS for 44.1/48 Khz sample rates... This is exactly what I need, as my DAC doesnt take higher bitclocks than 64x FS.

Already sent you a PN and looking forward to your mail :) Thank you!

Hi All:
I got a beta version of configuration tool for CM6631A. It can configure CM6631A I2S interface. This tool should can easy let you to configure CM6631A to control external DAC codec(like Ess9018, PCM1792 ...). Do any one want to try it?

This tool will generate new firmware for CM6631A. You just need to update the firmware which generate by this tool into your device. Please note the firmware which generate by this tool will only enable one I2S output. Basically this firmware is for USB DAC module. Something like follow URL device.
CM6631A USB to Coaxial Optical I2S Output Convertor | eBay
CM6631A 24bit 192kHz USB to Coaxial and Optical Fiber SPDIF and I2S by LJM | eBay
Let you can use those USD DAC module to connect o external DAC like follow:
ES9018 New Ver DAC Fiber USB I2S CPU Coaxial Fiber Decoder 192K 24bit 384K 32bit | eBay
Sabre Hi End DAC 24bit 192kHz with ES9023 WM8804 and I2S Input DIY DAC | eBay
DAC NOS1 Non Over Sampling DAC TDA1543T I2S Input | eBay
If you update this firmware into you device, you device driver should be install automatically. The driver is on windows update. This should be very convenient for DAC DIY user.

Looks very nice! Would like to try it!

Does it work with all CM6631A boards, and what firmware do you need?

@tdtsai
Your I2S Configtool saved my day :). Thank you for affords!
Now I can connect my CM6631 via I2S. Before, the double rate Bitclock (x128 FS) made the I2S Out unusuable with my DSP.

Any Plans to update your tool? I think for many CM6631A users, this is a needful Tool.

Are there more parameters which could be set up via the firmware? Does anyone have a data manual, with all the register settings explained for cm6631a?

BTW: I used the tool with the CM6631A from Breeze Audio (gray metall case).

I ordered one like the board in your second link. So I would like to try your firmware. Could you send me a PM? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to use it in combination with a Philips SACD1000, which has a Cirrus CS4397 and HDAM output modules (and a horrible CD transport!). With a Tenor 7022 USB interface I reach -103dB THD (1KHz), let's see if that improves with the CM6631A interface. (it's allready beyond the specs of the CS4397!)

Hi
I also want to does there any different. Please PM me your email then I can email you the tool. But If you can use TE7022 to reach -103dB THD there should does not have improve because the spec of CS4397 say the THD is -100dB. Please check follow URL: CS4397 : 24-Bit, Multi-Standard Stereo D/A Converter
But I think there should has improve in SNR.

I ordered one like the board in your second link. So I would like to try your firmware. Could you send me a PM? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to use it in combination with a Philips SACD1000, which has a Cirrus CS4397 and HDAM output modules (and a horrible CD transport!). With a Tenor 7022 USB interface I reach -103dB THD (1KHz), let's see if that improves with the CM6631A interface. (it's allready beyond the specs of the CS4397!)

I have an incredibly noob question, figured this seems like a good place, at least I'm on topic..

I have seen the CM6631A USB daughter cards on eBay, both assembled with USB and coax/optical sockets and bare with a row of headers.

Are these actually 'USB soundcards' ? That is, could I plug one onto a computer and with the right drivers, treat them as a soundcard and send the optical/coax output to an amplifier? In that case, is it complete as is, or does it still need power?

That was my original impression, until I started reading more about their incorporation into DACs with other cards (high end looking DACs, at that). So there seems to be more to it than I thought.

My use case is an ARM based micro board with nice graphics but abysmal sound hardware. I have seen Linux drivers for the CM6631A chip and tried putting 2 and 2 together, with a bit of a wish as well. All ARM dev boards seem to do this it seems, nice gfx but they forgot about the audio. With proper sound though they could make a nice little music server hung off the LAN and controlled with DLNA, without having to power up a computer.

So is my hope, anyway. If they are actually able to be used as such, are the boards with pin headers missing anything else, it'd be tidier to use one and do all the cabling internally apart from the final output.

Of course, I may well have opened another box here, and will now be playing with DACs and amps too.. some of the finished products here look nice, though a lot of them geared toward phones. Having recently moved, I'm revelling in being able to use speakers and have the AT phones on the shelf for a while.

I have an incredibly noob question, figured this seems like a good place, at least I'm on topic..

I have seen the CM6631A USB daughter cards on eBay, both assembled with USB and coax/optical sockets and bare with a row of headers.

Are these actually 'USB soundcards' ? That is, could I plug one onto a computer and with the right drivers, treat them as a soundcard and send the optical/coax output to an amplifier? In that case, is it complete as is, or does it still need power?

That was my original impression, until I started reading more about their incorporation into DACs with other cards (high end looking DACs, at that). So there seems to be more to it than I thought.

My use case is an ARM based micro board with nice graphics but abysmal sound hardware. I have seen Linux drivers for the CM6631A chip and tried putting 2 and 2 together, with a bit of a wish as well. All ARM dev boards seem to do this it seems, nice gfx but they forgot about the audio. With proper sound though they could make a nice little music server hung off the LAN and controlled with DLNA, without having to power up a computer.

So is my hope, anyway. If they are actually able to be used as such, are the boards with pin headers missing anything else, it'd be tidier to use one and do all the cabling internally apart from the final output.

Of course, I may well have opened another box here, and will now be playing with DACs and amps too.. some of the finished products here look nice, though a lot of them geared toward phones. Having recently moved, I'm revelling in being able to use speakers and have the AT phones on the shelf for a while.

Your question depends really on the implementation of the board in Question. The CM6631A is an USB audio controller. Whether it can serve as a "full" sound card, depends on all other components that were placed upon the device.

In general those boards are equipped as "Plug-and-play" sound cards that output a stereo stream to a digital receiver (spdif). Most boards can get their power supply from the USB.

The CM6631A is not compatible with the old "USB audio" specification. It does comply with newer "UAC" specifications, depending on your OS, you'll need new/extra drivers.

Please mention what specific CM6631A board you are using, what ARM platform you are using and what OS you are running on this ARM platform.

Thanks for the reply. I have two boards, Inforce Computing - Product-IFC6410
and ODROID | Hardkernel

The Snapdragon runs Fedora 19, the Odroid has Ubuntu 13; I would like to use the Snapdragon for this project, the U2 is pretty much busy.

The board I was looking at in in the beginning is HI FI CM6631A 192kHz 24bit USB 2 0 TO Coaxial Optical Spdif Convertor DAC Board | eBay
although I have since seen more discussion and many more boards at

The right USB DAC for your Raspberry Pi - RaspyFi

I believe I need the same thing. Some are also almighty expensive ! I was hoping to find a board that I could include inside a case, with the ARM board, disk drive and PSU to make a self contained unit. If not, something more or less inline, to go between the ARM board and the receiver.

Many thanks for help on this, it is very confusing. For one thing, I don't see that I need a DAC, both USB and SPDIF are digital. The DACs in my receiver, a Denon X1000 should be quite OK, indeed I'm very happy with them playing audio over HDMI [just why audio-over-HDMI isn't a feature of these ARM boards is a matter I'm talking with them about. It is especially galling when the tout accelerated video playback as a major feature].

There are many boards linked off that page on RasPis, I imagine I vould just choose one that suits my budget and proceed, though I'm still confused nt the DAC thing. I have seen a card CM6631A USB Daughter Card | eBay which is appealing because it could be included in a case, and is relatively inexpensive. The other is this one Xmos 192kHz High Quality USB to SPDIF with Ultralow Noise 6 5UV Regulator | eBay specifically stating Linux use. I realise I could buy some little $80 Android box, but that is effectively what I'm trying to build, and enjoy this, hence the ARM boards in the first place.