CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

CM6631A firmware and issues...

Hi all.

Got the CM6631 unit. Opened up case and it's the CM6631A. Works with the Emotiva XDA-2 drivers in Windows 8.

I tried it with the MacBook Pro running OS X 1.8.2 and it's recognized as standard USB Audio, not HD Audio - only up to 48kHz.

Any tips for this? I thought it was supposed to run in OS X plug-and-play?

Here's what the USB2 Audio FW Tool shows - VID 0D8C / PID 0314. I assume no firmware upgrade for this?

Attachments

• USB2_Audio_FW_Update.png
    USB2_Audio_FW_Update.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,055
Hi all.

Got the CM6631 unit. Opened up case and it's the CM6631A. Works with the Emotiva XDA-2 drivers in Windows 8.

I tried it with the MacBook Pro running OS X 1.8.2 and it's recognized as standard USB Audio, not HD Audio - only up to 48kHz.

Any tips for this? I thought it was supposed to run in OS X plug-and-play?

USB2 Audio FW shows VID: 0D8C / PID: 0314 / FW: 0108. Any alternative firmwares for this unit?

Hi all.

Here's what the USB2 Audio FW Tool shows - VID 0D8C / PID 0314. I assume no firmware upgrade for this?

Did you power up the CM6631A unit _before_ connecting it to the Mac? Or after?

According to this document, try unplugging and reconnecting the unit to your Mac:
http://emotiva.com/resources/media/xda2/Emotiva_XDA-2_Apple_Drivers.pdf

You have the same firmware as mine.

Last edited:
Did you power up the CM6631A unit _before_ connecting it to the Mac? Or after?

According to this document, try unplugging and reconnecting the unit to your Mac:
http://emotiva.com/resources/media/xda2/Emotiva_XDA-2_Apple_Drivers.pdf

You have the same firmware as mine.

Thanks for the tip wklie.

Unfortunately still cannot get the MacBooks to run in high-res with the CM6631A device. Strange since "MIDI Studio" does call it "USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio" but when I look at the "Audio Devices", I still cannot go beyond 48kHz.

The interesting thing is that I have the ASUS Essence One also and it works fine on the laptop all the way to 192kHz, so I have the driver in there!

Is there any way to flash this with the Essence One firmware?! Maybe that will work...

In case anyone is interested, here's a summary of my experience of purchasing a completed kit of Weiliang's CM6631A USB-to-SPDIF converter with sealed transformer plus TCXO upgrade.

- This product is available in configurations of: 1. completed board, 2. completed board + transformer, 3. completed kit with case, 4. completed kit + TCXO upgrade, in order of price (the eBay shop does not show these many configurations though)
- They did not update their product descriptions, but I believe all of the new orders are shipped with the new CM6631A instead of CM6631
- It toke 7 days for the product to be shipped. (Note: I'm located in Hong Kong, so I can use taobao instead of eBay, and there is a price difference.)
- The solder paste left on the board is not cleaned. This is not a concern for me because a coworker taught me how to clean it. I read a competitor attack them for not cleaning the boards before shipping to customers.
- It shows that it is a DIY product by having different screws for the back of the case. Three screws are short, one is long. Again this is not a concern for me - I know I'm not buying a Panasonic-class device.
- Only after I got the product did I read some bad comments for the included BingZi transformer about its durability, even though it is fairly popular with DIY audio products from different sellers. My unit is still working well and I hope it remains this way for several years...

About my issues with ASIO:
- My unit came with firmware 0108 PID 0x0314.
- Native CMedia ASIO output has no sound, although DirectSound and WASAPI (push), and ASIO4ALL all work fine.
- I sent PM to Weiliang but he has not logged on to this forum for many weeks. So I could only talk to their staff via another means of messaging.
- They believed it is an error with my PC configuration, sent me drivers and offered to diagnose my PC via remote assistance, which I did not go through.
- tdtsai explained that the ASIO drivers are designed to output to speakers and headphones only, not SPDIF, if the PID is 0x0314. For ASIO output to SPDIF using current drivers, PID needs to be 0x0319.
- Then I asked them whether they have firmware with PID 0x0319. They said they only have firmware 0101 and 0108.
- I asked them to send firmware 0101 and 0108 to me anyway. Then I found their 0101 has PID 0x0319, the 0108 has PID 0x0314.
- Using Windows XP I was able to switch between these two firmwares, and with significant help with tdsai, found that:
- Firmware 0101 PID 0x0319 can output to SPDIF via CMedia ASIO, but it will never passthrough DTS and AC3 :eek: because the unit shows up only as Speakers instead of SPDIF on Windows 7 x64.
- Firmware 0108 PID 0x0314, using current drivers, will not output to SPDIF via ASIO, but it can passthrough DTS and AC3 correctly. With this firmware, SPDIF, Speakers and Heaphones show up on Windows 7 x64 even though my unit does not have Speakers or Headphone output. DTS passthrough using both DirectSound in MPC-HC x64 or WASAPI in MPC-HC x32 + ReClock are tested to be working normally.
- Because I do need the DTS/AC3 passthrough, I'll stick to the PID 0x0314 firmware and hope that future drivers may enable ASIO output to SPDIF. ;)

Thanks to tdtsai and everyone who helped. :)

wklie, great that you've been able to solve all your issues since you helped everyone here that had problems but did not manage to solve your own until now;
you could/should upload on a hosting page those 2 firmwares for the CM6631A so that people who come here looking for solutions to their problems could find all possible solutions/combinations including the 2 firmware links that I posted a while ago for plain CM6631 and now also for CM6631A

wklie, great that you've been able to solve all your issues since you helped everyone here that had problems but did not manage to solve your own until now;
you could/should upload on a hosting page those 2 firmwares for the CM6631A so that people who come here looking for solutions to their problems could find all possible solutions/combinations including the 2 firmware links that I posted a while ago for plain CM6631 and now also for CM6631A

Yes! Please post the CM6631A firmware...

CM6631A Firmware 0101, 0108, CM6631 Firmware 2203

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage that occurs as a result of using these files or these instructions.

CM6631A Firmware 0101 VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0319:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_6YdmyVvVtmYmpPTmtZVFRtQjQ/edit?usp=sharing

CM6631A Firmware 0108 VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0314:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_6YdmyVvVtmWU51YXV0RFRZdTA/edit?usp=sharing

To be used with the flash update tool found in the CM6631 Firmware 2203 package VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0309 on Windows XP _ONLY_:
http://www.nutsaudio.com/driver/CM6631_Firmware.zip

Instructions:
- A Windows XP PC is needed (XP compatibility mode on newer Windows does not work - do not try it)
- Connect the CM6631(A) unit to a USB 2.0 port at the back of the PC, do not use the front ports even if available
- Run the flash update tool
- Erase firmware
- Unplug the CM6631(A) unit then reconnect it again
- Update using a new firmware hex file
- If a File Format Error or a Flash Error is shown, reconnect the unit again and flash it again

Last edited:
good job and great explanation!
thx in the name of everyone who might need this info now or in the future

the only question that remains to ask is wether that combination of firmware+driver outputs also I2S beside SPDIF?
I mean do they work simultaneously? because I remember was not quite like that in case of the plain CM6631 where you could choose SPDIF or I2S, although KlipschKid reported not long ago that he managed to activate both SPDIF and I2S together but he never specified in what configuration and what combination of firmware+driver

Last edited:
Hi Luxury54:
It's depend on what firmware you use. If you PID 0319 or PID 0309 firmware the IIS and SPDIF Out work simultaneously. If you use PID 0314 fimrware, IIS and SPDIF Out is report as different device. So you use use it separate output different content.

good job and great explanation!
thx in the name of everyone who might need this info now or in the future

the only question that remains to ask is wether that combination of firmware+driver outputs also I2S beside SPDIF?
I mean do they work simultaneously? because I remember was not quite like that in case of the plain CM6631 where you could choose SPDIF or I2S, although KlipschKid reported not long ago that he managed to activate both SPDIF and I2S together but he never specified in what configuration and what combination of firmware+driver

Thanks wklie for the CM6631A firmware downloads!

Tried the 101 firmware and my MacBooks still do not see the USB-to-SPDIF device as USB2 HD Audio with anything more than 44/48kHz capability.

Wondering - can anyone confirm if they have a CM6631A working on a Mac with all the sampling rates to 192kHz?

Tried the 101 firmware and my MacBooks still do not see the USB-to-SPDIF device as USB2 HD Audio with anything more than 44/48kHz capability.

While most of the descriptions about CM6631(A) support for Mac indicate that no driver is necessary, there exists a Mac driver for CM6631 :confused::
USBridge Drivers and Manual

It probably does not work for you, but perhaps you may examine it and find out what it is. (In addition, Onkyo also offer its own Mac driver for its CM6631 products.)

While most of the descriptions about CM6631(A) support for Mac indicate that no driver is necessary, there exists a Mac driver for CM6631 :confused::
USBridge Drivers and Manual

It probably does not work for you, but perhaps you may examine it and find out what it is. (In addition, Onkyo also offer its own Mac driver for its CM6631 products.)

Thanks for the link.

I tried the mhdt this AM. Installed fine. But still no higher sampling rates :(

Of note, I see that the 101 firmware adds 32-bit integer output to the audio panel - not that this makes a difference...

Thanks for the link.

I tried the mhdt this AM. Installed fine. But still no higher sampling rates :(

Of note, I see that the 101 firmware adds 32-bit integer output to the audio panel - not that this makes a difference...

Hi!! I use this box with a mac too and didn't get any higher rates than 48KHz in the beginning too, but then asked the eBay seller and realised that it needs external power for higher rates and better sound quality. For me, 12V DC works well and I think that is the recommended. The DC IN on the box is adaptive, so any polarity will work!!! Hope that helps!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi!! I use this box with a mac too and didn't get any higher rates than 48KHz in the beginning too, but then asked the eBay seller and realised that it needs external power for higher rates and better sound quality. For me, 12V DC works well and I think that is the recommended. The DC IN on the box is adaptive, so any polarity will work!!! Hope that helps!

That must be a specific limitation of that particular implementation of the CM6631A, because the board I have goes all the way to 192 on USB power. In fact, the board I have does not have the option to connect external power.

That must be a specific limitation of that particular implementation of the CM6631A, because the board I have goes all the way to 192 on USB power. In fact, the board I have does not have the option to connect external power.

I guess that depends on how many amps your USB is able to supply on 5V and what specific board you have with a specific firmware on it)