CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

I think this kind of conclusion seems lack of context. Is everything else equal i.e. XO used, power supplies, pcb layout? How bad is bad? I have used both xmos and 6631. They both do a good job. In one case the xmos fed by a lenovo laptop sounded much better than an akm spdif receiver on the same DAC. On thic DAC with akm chip the high is clean and detail.

My observation in most digital equipment the low is less affected by jitter. My assumption is that at low frquency there are alot more data points for each cycle of sine wave. If the low is bad I would suspect the DAC power supply or analog stage.

I bought several dacs from the bay Usb inputs,I found a big difference in power supplies when using a usb powered dac,I built a stand alone and it made a difference in fidelity,sonics the one I built used a lm317 nothing special just like the data sheet ,Try it ,I will make a SALAS 5 volt PS and see if it's a better change.
Has anyone tried this ?
Post up the results or opinion !
Sure I can Hear YA! LOL.
Happy Listening!
NS

Folks, an insider told a conclusion about these stuff. here we go:
all of them have good mids
xmos: highs bad, lows good
6631: highs good, lows bad
amanero: highs bad, lows good

Hey mtoc,
Do you think that maybe that's why dacs have filters built in them,Maybe a different algorithm could be written to adjust the tone or EQ and the volume inside the dac,I have contact buttons on some boards for vol,be nice to be able to eq inside the dac and control volume too.
:)
NS

Hi everyone,

I have ordered a CM3166A board with IIS and SPDIF Outputs. Nothing more
So i was looking for a dac to combine e.g.(ES9023, WM8740,CS4398,AK4495)
but i have a question!
Can i connect them directly or it need some receiver/decoder like CS8416 between them?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have orded a CM3166A board with IIS and SPDIF Outputs. Nothing more
So i was looking for a dac to combine e.g.(ES9023, WM8740,CS4398,AK4495)
but i have a question!
Can i connect them directly or it need some receiver/decoder like CS8416 between them?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean you are building your own DAC from scratch using one of those chips, or ordering a pre built DAC unit or PCB?

Do you mean you are building your own DAC from scratch using one of those chips, or ordering a pre built DAC unit or PCB?

Yes and no. It will be like from semi-scratch. Several mini boards to be combined with my own supply
I want to avoid smd soldering, but if it's needed i can solder up to SOIC size and print 1-side pcb
Stand-alone pcbs (with only 1 chip each) would be prefferable to combine them.
Below is the board i ordered
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, what do you believe about #570

Last edited:
Can you please help me to understand what line-up matching means?
Or some proposals maybe

Thanks

On one side of your board you have six pin holes: that is your I2S interface.

I looked around to see if there were any DAC boards with the same pin order, but I couldn't find any.

But you could use this one:

NEW ES9018K2M ES9018 I2S input DAC decoder board

As you can see, the pin order is not similar and can't be aligned directly with socketing. You will have to use either short (less than 10cm) flat cable interface or three short thin coaxials (shield always grounded) to link pin by pin. The pins are BCK, DATA, LRCK and DATA.

Attachments

• I2S interface.jpg
    I2S interface.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2,335
On one side of your board you have six pin holes: that is your I2S interface.

I looked around to see if there were any DAC boards with the same pin order, but I couldn't find any.

But you could use this one:

NEW ES9018K2M ES9018 I2S input DAC decoder board

As you can see, the pin order is not similar and can't be aligned directly with socketing. You will have to use either short (less than 10cm) flat cable interface or three short thin coaxials (shield always grounded) to link pin by pin. The pins are BCK, DATA, LRCK and DATA.

Now i see what you mean..!That is not a problem. Thanks
I can use o short cable or make a mini pcb that will make the pairing

So back to my first post

Can i connect them directly or a receiver/decoder like CS8416 between them is needed?

Reading about dac all these days it seems IIS pairing to be better. Am i wrong?

Last edited: