CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

Hi, i changed the usb cable ,and the drivers,and the firmware with the ones that i found here on forum,both of them makes the same problem.Soon i will buy a XMOS+PM5102 DAC 32bit/384Khz in case i hope that one will work flawless.

I also had problems with longer USB cables, only short ones work, and only directly on the motherbord. Not via USB hub.

I don't think changing the firmware will help, because it only changes some settings, not the logic on how it processes the signals.
If the problem is only present on 192KHz, then you can solve it by disabling 192KHz. There is no objective gain from going from 96 to 192KHz. Just set Windows to resample everything to 96KHz, and only use DirectSound. Resample quality is fine since Windows Vista. (at least good enough for these 30USD sound cards!)

Hi
I think the problem should be in board level design. If you buy device form
Isolated 32bit 384kHz USB to I2S/SPDIF CM6631A PCB - DIYINHK
and use DAC as
384kHz/32Bit PCM5102A DAC, I2S input, Ultra Low Noise Regulator - DIYINHK
24Bit/192KHz ES9023 DAC, I2S input, Ultra Low Noise Regulator - DIYINHK
You should not have this problem.

I also had problems with longer USB cables, only short ones work, and only directly on the motherbord. Not via USB hub.

I don't think changing the firmware will help, because it only changes some settings, not the logic on how it processes the signals.
If the problem is only present on 192KHz, then you can solve it by disabling 192KHz. There is no objective gain from going from 96 to 192KHz. Just set Windows to resample everything to 96KHz, and only use DirectSound. Resample quality is fine since Windows Vista. (at least good enough for these 30USD sound cards!)

Last edited:
Hi folks!
I have one of these boxes, and it mostly works ok. But, from time to time, the sound goes all static-like, robotic sound (the mid to high frequencies). To solve this, I have to stop and restart the audioplayback. Happens regardless of what output format I'm using, and on both toslink and spdif. Sometimes it happens every 10 mins, sometimes it can work OK for 2 hours.. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Also, I haven't tried with external PSU yet. What voltage does it accept? Is 12v ok, or will it fry?

I have CM6631, non A device. OS X won't recognise anything over 16/48 kHz but my main reason why I got this device is so I can connect netbook to DAC. Netbook runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and at first same thing happened, no sample rates above 48 kHz were available. Couple of days ago I installed updates (kernel 3.5.0-43 came with it) and lo and behold, all supported sample rates are reported and working. I'm using deadbeef for playback. Output plugin is ALSA and output device is set to CMEDIA USB 2.0 HiSpeed .... direct to hardware, no conversions (in deadbeaf preferences). To check if device is working properly, open terminal and type: cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 during playback. On your system it might not be card1 but you will know if it's correct if output from command above starts with CMEDIA USB 2.0 HiSpeed .... or whatever device identifier string is. Output prints current sample rate and all available sample rates at certain bit width.

I'm not using separate power supply but vendor says it takes: "AC 6V-12V, DC8V-14V auto regulate , no need to specify polarity."

Just a little addendum to my last post, I actually found out that device reports all sample rates and works properly only if computer is restarted with device connected and switched on during boot. I was forced to restart the computer after updates I mentioned in previous post but it was not the updates that made it work but restart. I'm not sure what or where the problem is.

Hello
I think that 5V is not enough...because after input follows standard diode which has 0.7 dropout and then 7805 which need about 2-2.5V input-output difference.
So about 8-9V min is my suggestion. USB 5V bypass both.
Yes CM6631 has some problem after start up... it must be startet sinhron with pc, so if you use batteries or adapter you must first start it up with computer then turn it on batteries or adapter or sepparate DC input.

Hi All:
Recently I processed with a CM6631A sound card work, but confronted a lot of problems. First the USB speed cannot reach to the normal level that just run at USB 1.1 mode. When I plugged it in, my PC showed The Performance of This Device Can Be Improved. I think some bug may be in the USB connection of my test board. The board is powered by VBUS. But when I plugged it in my computer via a USB-HUB, the speed of CM6631A returned to normal! No speed warning and more sample rate supported! I'm puzzled about this.
The second thing is that I ignored the crystal of 45.1584MHz and 49.152MHz when I designed the PCB. I noticed from the datasheet that the CM6631A can get the two clock from internal PLL. But in fact it cannot work! I connected a CS4344 DAC board to the CM6631A via I2S, and the sound of output is terrible, even no output at some sample rate! Is the datasheet is wrong?
At Last, the firmware is a important thing for me. I've got three version of it. Ver.0101 seems to be the original version that can be used as normal. But it has no input function. The option of I2S and S/PDIF input cannot be found in Windows Audio Device list. Ver.0108 is a full function firmware I think. It includes two I2S input device port ,two output device port ,two digital port(S/PDIF) and MIDI interface. But the important thing is that it can just set to 96kHz sample rate...Ver.0208 is amost like to ver.0101 which can only provide output function.Now I need a firmware that can provide all function and port of the chip, and the sample rate can reach to 192kHz. Who has a firmware like this? It's heard that there is a firmware generator but who can share in it?

Thanks for responce :) I managed to fix it, my power supply voltage dropped. When you don't know what to do, ask dad :p Althrough i don't have the firmware editor soft and drivers, i just can't find them :(

:DGood job. I'm also searching for the firmware configuration tool. I contacted Mr. tdtsai but no reply. My project has been forced to suspend. Who can share it with us?

Originally Posted by ry7740kptv
j2xgwDMBDSsnVA69OtCogRQzID4UOTOFEwAHkGJSmhPzgRIAFU7lagXmBJGuXwEwEMPlz8AaBEagAjDrBQAkcUj5iCtQwK0FSzhciBsQADs=
Good job. I'm also searching for the firmware configuration tool. I contacted Mr. tdtsai but no reply. My project has been forced to suspend. Who can share it with us?

Limited sample rate on linux with Jack

Hi, please let me know if anybody have any experience with CM6331A based usb-to-i2s board controlled using Jack on Linux (i.e. Ubuntu 13.10)? With Jack (via ALSA) I cannot get higher sampling rate then 48KHz. Does eventually configuration tools from tdtsai mentioned in this thread could make any difference?

Can you paste the output from cat /proc/asound/cardX/stream0? (mind the X number)
I get list of all possible sample rates and bit widths including the current playing mode.
I have non A CM6331 though.. Mine wouldn't work at >48 kHz at first but after one restart it started to work properly. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Can you paste the output from cat /proc/asound/cardX/stream0? (mind the X number)

Thanks Rezbit for quick reply. Hm, it seems that according to what is stored in stream0 I cannot go over 48KHz:

Code:
CMEDIA USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio at usb-0000:00:14.0-3, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

Capture:
  Interface 6
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 10 IN (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

How to proceed?

Try to restart computer with CM6331A connected. Power it just with usb, no additional power supplies. If that wont work try to connect it to another USB port, not hub port, though, and restart again. It has to work. The problem is that I don't know what exactly happened here and why it started to work. What music player you're using? I'm using deadbeef with alsa output set to "CMEDIA USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio ... direct to hardware with no conversions". Not sure if that had something to do with it but just saying...