Multichannel DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Olombo is offline Olombo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Multichannel DAC

Hello!

there seem to be thousands of DAC and DAC kits on the market.... but I need more than 2 Channels; at least 8! Crossovers, FIR correction etc is done in PC so I like to go out seperately for ech channel and amp.

I found 3 options:
- Buy a ordinary Audio interface (Rme UCX would be nice): Boring and quite expensive! ;-)
- Use minidsp USBstreamer and its l2s out. But then? Ok design l2s-analog converter according to example shematics I can do but is lot of work. Finished solutions I did not find with suitable DA chips (pcm179x or WM8741). Ideas or resources for finished solutions?
-Is it possible to connect more than 1 two-channel DAC to PC and use parallel but with different outputs? 4 DAC on 1 PC maybe a bit weird but if it works it may be the safest and best solution as plenty are available.

Thanks for your help and ideas for option 2&3!
Ron
Old 6th August 2012, 05:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hahaha you think same me is my idea

I2S had 4 signal
Master Clock
Left Right Clock
Serial Clock
SDIN
but 4 input it should be
SDIN1
SDIN2
SDIN3
SDIN4

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
but i don't have know how design circuit
Old 7th August 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Olombo is offline Olombo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

at least one having same issues like me ;-)

But I guess I found the best solution now....

USBStreamer + Buffalo 3 DAC from twisted pear. If I understand everything right I can put in the 8 channels via I2S and get out 8 channels (4x stereo) converted by a reference dac chip. In the end not the cheapest choice (streamer, buffalo, power supply,... >500$) but a very good as it seems.

Other solutions still welcome :-)

cheers!
Old 17th December 2013, 01:35 PM   #4
intgenx is offline intgenx  India
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for the same... a multichannel (6 or 8channel) DAC with balanced outputs...
the following looks like exactly what I want.., but beyond my price range...
exaSound Audio Design > e28 DAC > e28 DAC

the Buffalo is something that will need work putting it together and could run more than $600 total for the following:
A buffalo module and power supply for it (placid ps)
An IVY III linestage and power supply for it (placid bipolar ps)
A reciever board (USB, s/pdif or s/pdif/toslink unit)
Two transformers (2x15v for ivy, 2x9v for buffalo) (tpa sell them too)
Wiring, connectors (iec, rca etc) and a case

Are there any other options... (I've already looked at products from Lynx, RME, Fireface, Digigram, Motu, M-Audio, Roland, Behringer etc)

Ideally - I'd like to have someone experienced make a custom DAC with 3 or 4 Sabre ES9018 chips (even though its a 8channel chip - I'd like to use it as a stereo DAC for better THD and Dynamics) and the best quality components for the power and line stages with gold plated XLR or minXLR outputs.

Is there anyone out there who can design and build the ultimate multichannel DAC.
Old 17th December 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I reckon I could have a shot at it, but chances are you're not looking at ultimate SQ if you're suggesting using ESS9018. It suffers from noise modulation - some evidence is contained in this post on Head-Fi - so dynamics is most definitely not its strong point.

Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations - Page 10

If you're after the best possible subjective dynamics, multibit DACs still can't be beaten.
Old 18th December 2013, 08:23 AM   #6
intgenx is offline intgenx  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks @abraxalito... I've created a new thread to track our "ultimate multi-channel DAC"... hope to see you all there...
Old 18th December 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I reckon I could have a shot at it, but chances are you're not looking at ultimate SQ if you're suggesting using ESS9018. It suffers from noise modulation - some evidence is contained in this post on Head-Fi - so dynamics is most definitely not its strong point.

Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations - Page 10

If you're after the best possible subjective dynamics, multibit DACs still can't be beaten.
what nonsense !!

Hide this!Advertise here!