BIII with Broskie Unbalancer vs. EE Minimax Plus - My experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, but this is no longer a Broskie-Type than as the Broskie just takes the balanced signal and makes it unbalanced.

I have send mine into retirement and build a LTP with a LL1689a instead (Differenzverstärker). Tubes are 801A. Rectifier RGN1064. No Caps in the signal path.

If you want to do less effort, just try an ordinary 6sn7 with LTP and you have already a lot. Output impedance goes down by Ratio chosen, so 2:1 will give you a quarter of the orginal circuit impedance. As well, parallel sections of the 6sn7 will bring impedance down and makes the 6sn7 Interstage friendly...depends what you need for the input stage of your poweramp (I do not use any preamp). I am using some 6sn7 this way to drivea 300B...and I can tell you that running them at 300V and 20mA (10 mA pers ection) makes them sound quiet strong...I use the CCS of Kevin Carter (kandkaudio.com).

The 9038 is a big guy...so not sure if It cant kust directly drive whatever you want to drive with it ?

Last edited:
Thank you Blitz! At the moment I am still planning ... and I don't need to go so deep into the output at the moment. I want an balanced output to go directly into the Hypex Ncore amps. I need 8 channels at all. I must build 4 stereo outputs and all the other stuff. At the moment I would be glad to get a recommendation for a usable pcb for a very good solution :) . I would buy an aikido (Type...?). I also found this balanced output stage.

Furthermore Hypex states:

"Fundamentally there is no problem of course. However, most tube preamplifiers are designed alongside tube power amplifiers which are always AC coupled. As a result, many tube preamplifiers lack precautions against turn-on/turnoff transients. Some are liable to produce the full anode voltage at their outputs during turn-on and turn-off. We find that a large proportion of repairs are due to tube preamplifiers discharging their output caps into the UcD’s input circuit. Note that most solid state amps dislike such treatment, not just UcD."

Well... how many channels do you need? A transformer based version becomes expensive... aikido is unbalanced...or fir each channek one... but need to be perfectly the same which is neatly impossible using tubes. their variatiin is tii big, that is why you want an LTP.

Well...this is for two channels...and if i understand it right, its an LTP, but without a CCS at the cathodes followed by a simple cathode follower...nothing special...I know those tubes very well 12Au7/6922...nice tubes for a beginner...but you should buy an adapter for the 6sn7 already...Or e182cc...they will not be the last word regarding resolution and musicality...those octal tubes wipe the floor with them...I prefer to have only one tube system and no cap in the signal path...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.