BIII with Broskie Unbalancer vs. EE Minimax Plus - My experience - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2013, 06:52 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I messed it up and killed one dac...idiot...luckily i have one spare dac which I need to setup this weekend to be back in business...
Ouch, that's

Looking forward to next weekend then
Old 1st March 2013, 09:12 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

ok...I was a little less stupid than I thought...it was only a broken i2s cable, the dac is fine...

I did a short listening between the wirewound neoohm and the new antimagnetic 2watt Audionote tantalum resistor which is not burned in yet at all.

Well...this will become a serious candidate. Currently very fluid, very fast and in a martin logan electrostatic way transaprent...but as well it makes stuff sound unnatural big, like martin logan do. the dimensions are wrong currently. may because it is the 2 watt version which is really big monster resistor. maybe missing burn in. lets wait. but it is serious stuff, which plays a bit more natural and musical thatn the wirewound neoohms. those are more presice though...at the moment...not more transaperent, but deeper space and sharper edges.
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:51 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

ok, I will give the audio note resistors another week of burn in in 24h duty, but at the end I have the impression right now the do not have the same level of speed, clarity, intensiveness, vibration of the Neoohm wire wound. The are masking the signal with a good sound, warm, but it is a layer of its own and takes away realismn.

I ordered a set of mundorf supreme wirewounds and I am thiking about Duelunds as i/v as well...
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:52 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Interesting findings. What types of resitors have you tried in other positions.
I'm looking at Amtrans carbonfilm and Mills wirewound as an alternative to
the more expensive ones. I will be using the Neohm's for I/V. Any comment ?

The Duelunds are in the basket.
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:49 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I used the texas components as grid-stoppers, by now use the neoohm as well as cathode resisor for thefollower, use tantalum for the current source and kiwame forthe anode.

I will build my own duelund resistors from carbon leads and silver wire...120 pounds for four resistors is too much. I ordered allen bradleys which should give a fair impression in which direction carbon composite go. I would not use carbon film though.

Hope this helps. The duelund caps are a must. they need a good time of breaking in though....

I used mundorf tube caps for psu, not electrlytics in any psu, not even in the power amp. and mundorf gold silver wire.
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:37 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

if you are on a budget, i would check arcol carbon comp from rs...for 0.22euro a piece....
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:57 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

The budget isn't that tight but I'm building two so.....
Supposed to act as a HP/LP section in a dsp-crossover.

There will be no Duelunds in the LP section though,
that's below 350hz.

The budget would allow something like 5-10$ / resistor.

The Shinko tantals are inside budget.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:21 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Always not easy when you did not used it yourself in a circuit...I would avoid classical metal films. the shimkohs have a sound, but it might be different as grid stoppers than i/v...the arcol are not as quiet as the neoohm ww, Currently i would advise you to used the neoohm as an alternative to the zfoil. very high resultion, neutral and quiet...but not sure if the whole thing becomes too neutral in the end, that is why some shinkoh and kiwame and carbon comp could make some sense here and there...I am not yet at the stage to tell you in position xyz only carbon or zfoil works...except the i/v-position. there the neoohm ww are the thing currently. But have your fun with some experimenting and share your findings, looking forward...too many possibilties to play around here...
Old 4th March 2013, 07:55 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the time and effort you are putting in It's much appreciated.
Metalfilm was never a choise anyway so.....
This will take some time since it seems that all of my current projects are
coming together at the same time.
That's a dsp crossover, a pair of SE 300b xls amps, two unballancers and
the final (?) touches to the speakers.

The unballancer pdb's are still not available as well so...

Did you revisit the tubeselection any after the Duelund update ?
Old 4th March 2013, 10:27 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I started this yesterday...but I want to build in a switch for 6v/12v for the first section, so that I can plug in as well 6cg7/6sn7...sofar no NOS has convinced me yet, but let's wait and see. It becomes clear that the system is so transparent that any change in resistors or tubes create immediately effects which need to be balanced against each other...this weekend nevertheless I was busy with finding the mistake in the DAC (one channel was down), and with improving the PSU of my poweramps to get any hum out of the system as otherwise you cant move on. Plus the new duelund-parts in the speaker cross-over need to burn in (as well as the new Jantzen WAX inductors)...

Now it is dead quiet, absolute silence and you have now new room for improvements as everything sounds now so clear and obvious.

Hide this!Advertise here!