Bare hookup wire vs insulated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dielectric Constants

The lower the dielectric the better so theoretically air is better than PTFE.

However, the construction must be so that the bare wires will never touch and must always be separated by air. Most amps will attract dust and this will eventually cause problems.

One thing you can do is manufacture little spacer bars, ie from the insulation from the wire, then poke the bare wires through the spacers (like a ladders rungs).

Thanks for your replies

The only place I have bare silver wires is on my DAC's digital input. There is absolutely no risk of them coming in contact with anything.

I was just curious if replacing them with insulated wires would be an improvement or if replacing my insulated RCA output wires with bare ones would be likewise.

Aint going to have much if any effect at audio frequencies, that are worth bothering about. For digital signals it is better for a signal to be closely coupled with its return path (usually 0V) so insulated twisted pair with signal/ground; or signal+ /signal- would be the best option for a digital signal. Seperating the signal from its return path is one of the biggest causes of signal integrity problems. So bare seperated wires is the worse option for digital signals.

Last edited:
Yes, again the signal and return are in intimate contact and in this case would be the best solution. The main point was to illustrate that a digital signal from its return current is like slots in ground planes, dont do it.
The return, or screen of the coax must be terminated as near to the signal on the board as possible, using a long tail to terminate the return (screen) is a complete no no, and dont even think of terminating the return (screen) at some distant star point, even worse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.