Diy CD Transport + dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Or start with a regular CD player with crystal clock on the board (you need it to replace it with a better one at some point). You get the transport and case.
Then you throw away the analog/DAC stage, and replace with yours DAC and better clock.
This one is simplest and cheapest solution ever.
You get the case, remote and screen for free :)

Just make sure the CD player uses a clock frequency you need for the DAC (256Fs for deltasigmas, 384Fs for some vintage digital filters).
And it doesn't have some "all-integrated" IC with integrated transport control and DAC on the same chip.

Last edited:
I am going to build two different units.
first the idea of using a cd player to use as transport and crystal is very fine- i am looking to do diy dac based on wolfson wm8470 chips which I have read to be highly detailed.

and second i have a Sony Mini compo system, with broken transport I will replace it with other transport and if possible add a Dac.

All the advices and guidance are highly appreciated . I dont want to buy kits, i can Make a pcb or get just a pcb and Find the components locally and proceed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.