wm8804 jitter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you probably meant ~62ps performance; see post 17 in this thread. Measured WM880x baseband phase noise is an order of magnitude higher than that of a typical crystal driver so diminishing returns most likely apply---it seems reasonable to assume Wolfson did a decent job on the driver so the PLL is probably dominant source of baseband jitter. If so, then there's negligible benefit for spending the extra dollar to go to from a crystal to a Fox XPresso XO---the improvement over something like a TXC 9C crystal would be somewhere around going from 126dB to 127dB DnR. In the rather unlikely case the DAC's good enough it matters. I haven't seen phase noise measurements of the Tent oscillators (though in fairness I haven't looked very hard) but the XPressos are competitive with Vectron XOs costing 20 times as much so they're probably competitive with the Tents as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.